BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #23
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtriece View Post
So all you need to complete this is the cable and the two downloads above? Then just follow your procedure?

Also,

Can you remove cold start with this downloaded software?
Yeap! You can remove the cold start from the 241E but you gotta use a paid SW to implant this options on to Original SW. MSSFLASHER + ECUWorx Binary Tool
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #24
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
so is flashing a daten file,241e daten file in this case, through winkfp, the same as flashing a map file through tuner app? I thought a map file and a daten file had different functions. For instance, i thought a daten file updated the dme base OS and the map updated the engine config like afr, stuff like that. Sorry for asking stupid questions, i am just trying to understand how this works and ensure im running on stock map or sw.
No you are right. Basically Tuner makes adjustment on 241E Version of the SW and then implants this to your DME. If you have the Tuned File already created you can even overwrite this to your DME with a free software MSSFLASHER.

But if you dont want performance tunes and just only Catless + Cold Start + Government Speed Limit removal then i suggest you to do this on Ecuworx binary modification tool. It should be $107 licence fee and that's it.

After making tremendous amount of research, i decided not to tune my engine but just to get rid off cold start and SES for catless pipes and this will do the job for me.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 02-04-2021 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #25
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_M3 View Post
Is there a way to find out the current version of the DME without going through the steps?
You either need 3rd party SW like Tuner has to read the current version or INPA / UIF to see the ZUSB no to identify the current version.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
But if you dont want performance tunes and just only Catless + Cold Start + Government Speed Limit removal then i suggest you to do this on Ecuworx binary modification tool. It should be $50 licence fee and that it.

After making tremendous amount of research, i decided not to tune my engine but just to get rid off cold start and SES for catless pipes will do the job for me.
Another way to say this is that if you don't want to pay someone who is not a tuner money to sell you software that has stupid stuff all over it, like deactivated knock control, then you can upgrade for free to 241 and then use the MSSFlasher+Ecutek to remove cold start/CEL and do normal things like this. For only $50!

Not only do you save money, but you also avoid installing complete garbage that seems written by a mentally challenged primate into your ECU. It's a win-win!
Appreciate 2
SaNGRia986.00
DrFerry6728.50
      01-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #27
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Another way to say this is that if you don't want to pay someone who is not a tuner money to sell you software that has stupid stuff all over it, like deactivated knock control, then you can upgrade for free to 241 and then use the MSSFlasher+Ecutek to remove cold start/CEL and do normal things like this. For only $50!

Not only do you save money, but you also avoid installing complete garbage that seems written by a mentally challenged primate into your ECU. It's a win-win!
That is IT. You can not explain better than this. Thank you buddy

BTW Learnt ALOT from you!!!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #28
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Yeap! You can remove the cold start from the 241E but you gotta use a paid SW to implant this options on to Original SW. MSSFLASHER + ECUWorx Binary Tool
Awesome. Just ordered the cable. My 2010 is still on its original software. Will get the cold start, ses light, and rev limiter removed once I do my test pipes!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #29
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This makes total sense! I was about to get an expensive tune for when I get test pipes and only really wanted those three things. Glad it's going to cost me only $100 instead of $600-$800.

Is there a way to do this for the GTS tune as well?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
This makes total sense! I was about to get an expensive tune for when I get test pipes and only really wanted those three things. Glad it's going to cost me only $100 instead of $600-$800.

The best part is you won't have to open long threads about 'predetonation' and other problems because you chose a tuner who happens to not be a tuner, but has 'rave reviews' in the forum [where they are sponsors and where negative comments get deleted]

Of course, for the DCT software you can load the OEM BMW stuff for free, or pay a remote coder a small fee for them to do it for you. I believe OP is able to remote code.
Sometimes I do it at the track for people, for free. It's very fast and you end up loading OEM BMW software, always a plus
Appreciate 3
SaNGRia986.00
Scharbag2620.50
DrFerry6728.50
      01-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #31
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The best part is you won't have to open long threads about 'predetonation' and other problems because you chose a tuner who happens to not be a tuner, but has 'rave reviews' in the forum [where they are sponsors and where negative comments get deleted]

Of course, for the DCT software you can load the OEM BMW stuff for free, or pay a remote coder a small fee for them to do it for you. I believe OP is able to remote code.
Sometimes I do it at the track for people, for free. It's very fast and you end up loading OEM BMW software, always a plus
Ok great! Last thing. To clear any codes that might pop up at the end I'll need another software? Or is that included on the winkfp download? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I plug anything into my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Ok great! Last thing. To clear any codes that might pop up at the end I'll need another software? Or is that included on the winkfp download? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I plug anything into my car.
I'm not a coding guru, I'd defer to OP for that question. ISTA/INPA and other programs allow you to clear codes, even cheap OBDII dongles.

I've used MSSFlasher multiple times and have never had a code. While programming you get codes but they're all gone by the time it finishes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #33
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a coding guru, I'd defer to OP for that question. ISTA/INPA and other programs allow you to clear codes, even cheap OBDII dongles.

I've used MSSFlasher multiple times and have never had a code. While programming you get codes but they're all gone by the time it finishes.
Ok great. Thanks. I've got a obd2 scanner so if any codes pop up and I can clear them with that. Just wasn't sure if they have to be cleared before you are all done with the software update.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #34
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:

I have the GTS tune i can remotely code it for you if you want.

Quote:

You can also clear the codes with INPA. Easy stuff!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #35
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying that canned tunes may not be well written?? I am shocked and appalled!!! 😈

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
SaNGRia986.00
      01-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #36
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Does this overwrite other modules? Like CAS/ CIC? I assume no but want to confirm?
      01-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #37
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Does this overwrite other modules? Like CAS/ CIC? I assume no but want to confirm?
Nothing to do with any other module. It goes directly to the DME!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #38
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Nothing to do with any other module. It goes directly to the DME!
Thanks SaNGRia.
      01-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #39
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks SaNGRia.
My pleasure!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #40
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Did you use e89 spdaten to update the e9x m3?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #41
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

What settings did you go with?
Attached Images

01-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #42
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
What settings did you go with?
Uncheck the fast baudrate + check UIF write in comfort mode
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #43
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Thanks to SaNGRia and SYT_Shadow for these very helpful posts and comments! Way to contribute to the enthusiast community!

I was able to successfully flash ECU to latest 241E last night using instructions in this thread w/NCSExpert. MSSFlasher didn't work for me due to it being hardcoded to a COM port that was already in use on my laptop.

Note that I bought the wrong cable to begin with (regular K+DCAN cable from one-stop-electronics - don't make same mistake I did), which would have bricked my ECU. But before I attempted to flash my ECU I was able to update the firmware on this cable to the latest which makes it reliable for ECU flashing. Flashing the cable itself was a pain and involved purchasing an Arduino board and jumper cables ($15 in total) but in the end it worked. My advice is to stick to the bimmergeeks 'expert' cable or better.

Double thanks to SYT_Shadow as I also just finished my rod bearing job by following a lot of his DIY.

Now, if someone could just figure out the hex coding so that we could remove cold start without having to buy additional $50 software license.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11479.50
DrFerry6728.50
SaNGRia986.00
      02-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #44
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
Thanks to SaNGRia and SYT_Shadow for these very helpful posts and comments! Way to contribute to the enthusiast community!

I was able to successfully flash ECU to latest 241E last night using instructions in this thread w/NCSExpert. MSSFlasher didn't work for me due to it being hardcoded to a COM port that was already in use on my laptop.

Note that I bought the wrong cable to begin with (regular K+DCAN cable from one-stop-electronics - don't make same mistake I did), which would have bricked my ECU. But before I attempted to flash my ECU I was able to update the firmware on this cable to the latest which makes it reliable for ECU flashing. Flashing the cable itself was a pain and involved purchasing an Arduino board and jumper cables ($15 in total) but in the end it worked. My advice is to stick to the bimmergeeks 'expert' cable or better.

Double thanks to SYT_Shadow as I also just finished my rod bearing job by following a lot of his DIY.

Now, if someone could just figure out the hex coding so that we could remove cold start without having to buy additional $50 software license.
I have a ton of K+ cables lying around but bought the Bimmergeeks one anyway, it's way too risky when a ECU is involved!

Shame you weren't able to use MSSFlasher. That incredible, dare I say heroic push by people like Terraphantm is a before and after in the S65 world. Its true effects will not be fully understood for a while, but they are starting to trickle into the light.
The days of people buying """tunes""" that disable knock control, disable adaptations and other stupid things are going to come to an end and the S65 community will be better off.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00