BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
contie92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 (2) e90 328.s1000rr

rear diff bolt keeps braking.

My rear diff bolt keeps snapping. ive replaced it twice now going on the 3rd time. i cant seem to find anywear with a stronger bolt or a support bracket to help prevent this. If anyone has found a cure for this please lend my some insight. thanx
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Have u done solid subframe bushes? What diff bushes are you using?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by contie92 View Post
My rear diff bolt keeps snapping. ive replaced it twice now going on the 3rd time. i cant seem to find anywear with a stronger bolt or a support bracket to help prevent this. If anyone has found a cure for this please lend my some insight. thanx
How long did it take to break again?

It seems the problem hasn't been sorted yet. Others had the same experience
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

diff bushings.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Get some solid subframe bushings and it should remedy the issue you're having.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

What symptoms do you get when a diff bolt breaks ? Is it pretty noticeable while regular driving or only when you are pushing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #7
rebelliousfb
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very noticeable, especially when you're pressing or letting off the throttle (clunks as the driveshaft bounces around). This guy's diff bushings must be made of jello and he must be launching hard daily
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
What symptoms do you get when a diff bolt breaks ? Is it pretty noticeable while regular driving or only when you are pushing it?
A lot of funny noises/feels while driving
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #9
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelliousfb View Post
Very noticeable, especially when you're pressing or letting off the throttle (clunks as the driveshaft bounces around). This guy's diff bushings must be made of jello and he must be launching hard daily
Not exactly related to abuse, it's been happening to others too. MRF claimed they were making some reinforcement of some sorts then it went quiet. It seems to be a rare flaw some of these cars have that's recurring. There is another thread in here.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #10
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
Quote:
Not exactly related to abuse, it's been happening to others too. MRF claimed they were making some reinforcement of some sorts then it went quiet. It seems to be a rare flaw some of these cars have that's recurring. There is another thread in here.
This has already been solved.
      04-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I guess it seems this case I'm about to share is more abuse related. But they shouldn't break that easy.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26705163
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I guess it seems this case I'm about to share is more abuse related. But they shouldn't break that easy.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26705163
The car has a lot of power, and those diff bushings are a joke (the rear one is foam). If you launch the car with DTC and wide sticky tires you're likely breaking bolts. Get solid aluminum diff and subframe bushing and problem's solved. The diff whine is the trade off.

Good except from AKG Motorsports to keep in mind. "Remember: The material used for the subframe bushing location(s) must match the material used for the diff mount bushing(s)."
      04-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The rear bushing is not foam. It is solid aluminum with a roughly 1/8” thick foam sleeve. I think the problem that a few people have experienced is related to more than just that single rear bushing.

I don’t think the subframe and diff bushings have to match. You can run solid or very stiff (like Delrin or 75D poly) subframe bushings with stiffer than stock diff bushings like 80A or 95A or 75D poly. It’s the stiffer diff bushings that cause the whine, not the stiffer subframe bushings.

I run 75D subframe and 95A diff bushings. There is whine, but it is tolerable to me. I would not go any stiffer on the diff bushings. I did drive a convertible with solid subframe bushings, however, and thought the whine was tolerable. Maybe the convertible is better insulated?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:58 PM   #14
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The rear bushing is not foam. It is solid aluminum with a roughly 1/8" thick foam sleeve. I think the problem that a few people have experienced is related to more than just that single rear bushing.

I don't think the subframe and diff bushings have to match. You can run solid or very stiff (like Delrin or 75D poly) subframe bushings with stiffer than stock diff bushings like 80A or 95A or 75D poly. It's the stiffer diff bushings that cause the whine, not the stiffer subframe bushings.

I run 75D subframe and 95A diff bushings. There is whine, but it is tolerable to me. I would not go any stiffer on the diff bushings. I did drive a convertible with solid subframe bushings, however, and thought the whine was tolerable. Maybe the convertible is better insulated?
It's very soft and the only bushing that you can press out with ease.

Of course you can do whatever you want, that's just what's advised by this specific race parts company. Lots of folks running solid sub and softer diffs to minimize whine. But you're not solving the problem of movement if you're launching the car.