BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Does your M3 see track time?
No way 29 10.74%
Not yet, but maybe in the future 94 34.81%
1-2 days per year 32 11.85%
3-5 days per year 48 17.78%
6-12 days per year 41 15.19%
Greater than 12 days a year 26 9.63%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

11-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #67
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgM3 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to check those out. I might try M-school first to get me warmed up. It's really expensive but it looks like a blast.
Those schools will always be expensive since you're driving their cars rather than yours. Driver's Edge by comparison is only $295 for the whole weekend, plus gas on track, possible helmet rental ($20), possible lodging and gas for the trip if you're going farther from home, and possible track insurance if your normal policy doesn't cover HPDEs. I think even with all that, Driver's Edge is more bang for your buck than M school, but I know people have had a blast at M school, and obviously without putting their own car at risk.

Feel free to PM if you have any Driver's Edge or general track questions. Good luck!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #68
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgM3 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to check those out. I might try M-school first to get me warmed up. It's really expensive but it looks like a blast.
What is this M school you mention? Maybe a stupid question, sorry. I would like more info on that.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #69
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Who says I dont use the performance? I dont need to go to a track to have some fun blasting a highway onramp or taking some tight curves. The braking power also comes in handy when the highway comes to a sudden stop in rush hour

I think you are confused about what the M3 was designed for. Its a street car that can be taken to the track, not the other way around.
Like I said above, go to a local track event as a spectator and catch a ride in an M3, then try to come back and say that the accelerating, braking, and cornering you do on the street is just as fun. I think you'll be amazed at how much faster you can get through corners than you are right now (or at least how much more safely, smoothly, and confidently you can get through corners at your current speed).
I was not comparing the experience of driving on the street to driving on the track. I was responding to the quoted post saying that it is pointless to own an M3 unless you take it to the track.

I have no doubt the M3 makes an awesome track car and obviously driving on a track is way more fun than on the street. I was just rebutting the notion that the M3 is not meant to be a daily driver and you can't have some fun with it on a daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #70
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
What is this M school you mention? Maybe a stupid question, sorry. I would like more info on that.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ience/PDS.aspx. Click Book Now, then choose M School in the event dropdown, and look through the calendar for a date with open spots or click the M School link next to any date to be taken to the description page. The 1-day version MIGHT be the same thing that you get with Performance Center Delivery, but I've never done either one so I'm not sure. Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chime in on that.

EDIT: It's not, more detail in a subsequent post.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-13-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #71
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Why do the general M3 forum threads get so hostile? I don't give a shit how you drive your car, but it is kinda low class to insult each other because someone doesn't track it or because you have a brand new M3 or whatever. FWIW, anyone in the 12+ days a year category is likely spending enough on fees, hotels, and tires to buy a second M3 anyway.
+1
This thread was simply to poll the proportion of track users, not to create debate on how you should drive your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #72
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

after 11 months of ownership, it's going to the track tomorrow!
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #73
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Why do the general M3 forum threads get so hostile? I don't give a shit how you drive your car, but it is kinda low class to insult each other because someone doesn't track it or because you have a brand new M3 or whatever. FWIW, anyone in the 12+ days a year category is likely spending enough on fees, hotels, and tires to buy a second M3 anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Because you will always have know-it-all-assholes who tell other people how they should drive their cars. In my expierience these are the same folks who can't drive for shit.
Because Canadian..Aren't they supposed to be nice and smell like maple syrup or something?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #74
jmgM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - 6MT - Jerez Blk

Quote:
Just do a quick search for it on this forum. I think quite a few other members have done it and have detailed posts of their experiences. It does look like a lot of fun without the worry of damaging your own pride and joy.

2011 E90 M3 - Jrz Blk - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #75
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Here's one of the best postings on the two-day M School:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654085

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #76
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ience/PDS.aspx. Click Book Now, then choose M School in the event dropdown, and look through the calendar for a date with open spots or click the M School link next to any date to be taken to the description page. The 1-day version MIGHT be the same thing that you get with Performance Center Delivery, but I've never done either one so I'm not sure. Hopefully others more knowledgeable will chime in on that.

I've done the Performance Center Delivery: it doesn't come close to matching the agenda posted for the 1-day M school, or even the 1-day Car Control School. The PCD experience is sort of "Track School Lite" where you get to do four stop-and-lane-change exercises, 10 laps around their track, three circles on the wet-donut, and the off-road course in an X5. It was great to do, but only a tantalizing taste of the real courses.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #77
canadian stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
And this is the sterotypical bmw d-bag response by a butt hurt, older car owner trying to justify to themseleves their cars are the same as newer models

If I want to track, I will get a dedicated track car and mod it to be only that a "track car"..just not a priority for me right now.
Um, the cars ARE the same. Oh wait, you get more fancy taillights and and a slightly upgraded Nav system. Wow, what a tremendous improvement the M3 has undergone in the last 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #78
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

A lot of people buy these type of vehicles to just have them and do not track them at all..
I would say a good 80% do that or are to scared to reck their shits

Every corner I find I try to OWN IT

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #79
AlexN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SMB M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I find driving in rush hour traffic in California far more risky than my time at the track. I'm actually tense driving in traffic because of other drivers around me while I'm completely calm and relaxed at the track.

I'll take a controlled environment with generally decent drivers over uncontrolled surrounded by people who should have never gotten a driver's license in the first place.
+1
I dont understand what people mean when they are talking about risk.
perhaps they watched too much nascar, but in reality you are more likely to crash on your daily commute or going to/coming back from the track than on it.
Just pick a well organized group to run with (PCA and PBOC are the ones I ran with) and if you are just starting, you will have an instructor sit with you in the car.
These cars have traction and stability control, so leave those on and use common sense and judgment and you'll be ok.
I tracked my 2003 911 GT2 and never had any issues.
And this car has ~600 hp and only ABS as driver aid.
Not to say that I'm such a great driver, but take it easy at first and it will be an enjoyable experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I find driving in rush hour traffic in California far more risky than my time at the track. I'm actually tense driving in traffic because of other drivers around me while I'm completely calm and relaxed at the track.

I'll take a controlled environment with generally decent drivers over uncontrolled surrounded by people who should have never gotten a driver's license in the first place.
yes i do agree with this and feel the same way. i have more chance of damage on the street then at the track, but pushing for quicker and quicker times results in a few hairy moments now and then.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #81
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
A lot of people buy these type of vehicles to just have them and do not track them at all..
I would say a good 80% do that or are to scared to reck their shits

Every corner I find I try to OWN IT
I think it's more like 98% of M3 owners some excuse why they don't track it. It's fine, but I've only had ONE guys tell me, "it's just not in me" after he did it once. The rest come up with the LAMEST excuses why they can't make it that day to the track.
For anyone who's interested, the BMWCCA is the best way to start. VERY safe and an instructor in each car. Leave the damn traction control on until it starts to get in the way. There's a VERY fast instructor with an M3 and she track with MDM on, so there's no reason for 99.9% of the people on track to go DSC off.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #82
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I've done various autocross in a cayman s, EVO 9 and my Evo X. And I've gone through the AMG Basic Academy in practically all of the AMG car line up. It's a great experience specially if you are there to really hone your driving skills more than your average street driving. Going to track with instructions from pros and really learning to trust your cars capability will only make you better if nothing else. Regarding my M3, I bought it for all what it is, not just the possibility of taking it to the track. Sh%t, just sitting in it makes it worth while.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #83
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Sometimes, I have to understand why some wont track their 60,000+ m3 because of fear of damaging it and that makes sense. I did track mine on the deadliest track in the world numerous times(Nurburgring) . I would even continue to do so if I have a 599FXX Ferrari, because obviously if I have anothe moeny to buy one then I can afford gas/deductibles/insurance on it.

Needless to say, once I returned back to America I quickly down sized back to an e46 m3

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #84
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
+1
This thread was simply to poll the proportion of track users, not to create debate on how you should drive your car.
It is sad when you can no longer ask a simple question or create a simple poll without people crapping all over it or telling people how they should be using/driving their car. Not difficult to make a selection on this poll

Yes, the M3 is a great overall sports coupe/sedan that is a blast on the track but you don't need a track to enjoy the car - one of its best attributes is its dual street-track personality
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #85
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I will say that tracking the car often does add "wear and tear" that some people might not want (paint chips, pitting on windshield, tar marks, etc.). Depending on how you look at it, they are either war scars you're proud of, or something you'll have to repair later.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #86
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Do not forget about these we are on a car forum...so there are way more enthusiast here that are more likely to track their car.

There are countless others that are not accounted for in the real world

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #87
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
The M3 used to be my DD in Germany and saw plenty of days on the Nurburgring but since it's been back in the States, it is strictly a weekend/ track car. The M3 is too much car for the streets here and I'm afraid of some dumb ass damaging it. So, why not get a cheap e46 or e36 M3 as a dedicated track car? This M3 and I have been through too much in Germany and I understand how this car behaves as good as anyone. My next car with be a 911 GT3 but I'm still keeping the M3 just because. So yes, I track this car. It's seen nothing but the track since 2008 and is as strong as any M3's out there as the result. Trapped 116mph with filter,pulley,exhaust and no tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #88
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
In regards to safety... tracking can be expensive, sure there are more chances of getting into an accident on your way to work...
I agree 100% - I've been going to the track for > 20 years without injury (cars or self) yet driving to-from work over an eight year period I was in two major accidents and I was sitting stationary both times! You don't realize the risk you assume everytime you drive on the street - it's too easy, or is it that most people think it's a "right" in this country, to get a driver's license

Be careful out there whether on the street or track
Appreciate 0