BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Rusty Nut on DCT - BMW Metal Quality

Today while working under my car (with the tanny cover removed) I found this rusty nut:

[/URL]

Looks like its on the shifter linkage to the DCT. How can it be that it's so rusty and flaking already? Car is a 2011 with 14k miles. All the other nuts and bolts look good except for this one. Wonder if they had a defective batch...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
That nut holds on the emergency park release lever. Moisture and salt will rust any form of mild steel, even stainless over time. It's just surface rust, nothing to worry about. You can see the corrosion starting on the trans as well in that picture.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
That nut holds on the emergency park release lever. Moisture and salt will rust any form of mild steel, even stainless over time. It's just surface rust, nothing to worry about. You can see the corrosion starting on the trans as well in that picture.
I noticed all the corrosion on the aluminum as well. Must be from the salty air at my office since it's near the ocean and right on the intracoastal.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

On my '01 A4, trim pieces started to rot after about 5 yrs. Then the welds on the exhaust system rusted out about a year later. For whatever reason poorer quality steel is used in some locations. I guessing that the engineers over-look things like this. That nut on the DCT looks overly rusted given the time frame. Give it a few more years and a wrench might not grip it. Then again the image is a little out of focus and the rust might just be a thin skin.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

did you replace with new nut?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
On my '01 A4, trim pieces started to rot after about 5 yrs. Then the welds on the exhaust system rusted out about a year later. For whatever reason poorer quality steel is used in some locations. I guessing that the engineers over-look things like this. That nut on the DCT looks overly rusted given the time frame. Give it a few more years and a wrench might not grip it. Then again the image is a little out of focus and the rust might just be a thin skin.
I compared the rubber trim on my '11 M3 to my wife's '08 X5 and the latter seems to be in better shape. And my M3 is almost always parked in a garage or deck while her X5 sits out in the sun all day. The nut has rust flakes peeling away already so it's not just a thin layer of surface rust. Pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
did you replace with new nut?
No. This caught me by surprise but I'm planning on looking into getting a new nut on there before this one seizes in place.

Just checked Realoem and this nut relates to the linkage from the DCT shifter. I was unable to locate the nut as a separate part, which is not good.

Last edited by rantarM3; 04-21-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0