BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #67
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Having knocked a young boy and a young girl off the same bike while driving at about 30mph I can assure you its exactly the gut wrenching experience you would imagine it to be (luckily they both survived relatively undamaged)....the fact that it wasn't my fault and was totally unavoidable doesn't really help, I still get a queasy feeling everytime I think about it.
I drive my car like I stole it at every opportunity, but if its a residential area I'm usually the slowest guy on the road and fully expect every kid to leap out into the road without thinking.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #68
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
I wouldn't want to hit a kid, but i would like to back up over the guy that yelled at me for going to fast, i kept it in first gear because I was rearranging my crotch. Same guy that yelled has a z06 that did a burn out on the adjacent street, hypocrites what are you gonna do.
"rearranging" your crotch!

I gun my car pretty often, but I hate driving reckless. I'm very cautious, yet very emotonal when it comes to driving. When I'm emotional, I drive hard.......yet I always try to be cautious at the same time.

When I'm in my neighborhood, one of the main reasons I gun it is because I want to hear my aftermarket exhaust note bouncing off the houses, walls, and trees. But I'm always cautious at the same time. I never like to gun it through my neighborhood during the daytime, especially since there's more activity in the neighborhoods and there's more of a chance that kids are playing and folks are walking around.

I know, I still have a some maturing to do, what can I say.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #69
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Having knocked a young boy and a young girl off the same bike while driving at about 30mph I can assure you its exactly the gut wrenching experience you would imagine it to be (luckily they both survived relatively undamaged)....the fact that it wasn't my fault and was totally unavoidable doesn't really help, I still get a queasy feeling everytime I think about it.
I drive my car like I stole it at every opportunity, but if its a residential area I'm usually the slowest guy on the road and fully expect every kid to leap out into the road without thinking.
Man, I'd hate to have the same experience.

But UK can be a congested and tight area, so I bet there's a higher chance of that happening, right? Also, there are a whole lot of pedestrians walking, cycling, and crossing streets over there....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #70
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
And people wonder why M3 driver's have no friends....

Slow down, if you hit a kid, you have to live with it.
+1000 Drive slow on neighborhood streets.
      07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #71
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
"
When I'm in my neighborhood, one of the main reasons I gun it is because I want to hear my aftermarket exhaust note bouncing off the houses, walls, and trees.
Thought you hadn't decided on an exhaust yet!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #72
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Thought you hadn't decided on an exhaust yet!
hahaha....yeah, actually I'm almost decided. But I was just "imagining" how my exhaust would sound like...hahaha jk.

I used to have an obnoxiously loud catless set-up on the Evo I used to have....So I know how addicting that sound is.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #73
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
hahaha....yeah, actually I'm almost decided. But I was just "imagining" how my exhaust would sound like...hahaha jk.

I used to have an obnoxiously loud catless set-up on the Evo I used to have....So I know how addicting that sound is.
Got it! Thought I was losing my mind for a minute there!

So, will you be posting your "almost made up my mind" decision over on the engine thread?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #74
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #75
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Got it! Thought I was losing my mind for a minute there!

So, will you be posting your "almost made up my mind" decision over on the engine thread?
For sure. I'll take plenty of pics and give an honest review.

I'm a slow poke on my mods man.....Hope you can understand.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #76
bim14
BIMMM3R
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 6MT AW/SO

my neighborhoods a bunch of old rich snobby people, and I have a melbourne red m3 with a loud meister gt2...I get yelled, grilled, and cursed at while i drive through the hood....honestly f**k erry1 and just laugh about it....there's this older man who always stops and stares at me for like 5 mins...i just slow down and stare back...i wasn't doing anything wrong...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #77
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
HEY sard.. i have a story for you... so today i got up from the ass crack o' dawn to wash my car. i didnt want to dry it with towels so i thought of taking it for a spin to let the water off the car a bit. the fucking water on the hood wouldnt go anywhere. so i kept on speeding in my community... oh man, did i piss off 100 school moms man. then i realize that i live next to an elementary school. FML
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #78
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
HEY sard.. i have a story for you... so today i got up from the ass crack o' dawn to wash my car. i didnt want to dry it with towels so i thought of taking it for a spin to let the water off the car a bit. the fucking water on the hood wouldnt go anywhere. so i kept on speeding in my community... oh man, did i piss off 100 school moms man. then i realize that i live next to an elementary school. FML
You are made of pure EVIL, aren't you !Xoible......... hahahehe
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #79
camcar33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I don't get the "HEY" but sometimes when I'm hauling ass up the hill where I live, some people walking their dogs just stop and look, and not the good kind of stare the bad one where it's like "this asshole needs to slow down." I feel bad every time I experience this yet I still haul ass when the moods right.
+1, Im guilty as well
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #80
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I consider neighborhoods as the pit lane (with speed limit) of the racetrack of life. I don't want any pit lane speeding penalties. Too many unpredictable little kids running around.
      07-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #81
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
On the topic of the M3 (or any fast car) looking/souding faster than it is actually traveling...

It wasn't in a neighborhood, but I recently got a ticket for what I think was the same type of phenomena. I rounded a corner at a relatively high speed (probably 35-40mph) going from a 45mph zone to a 55mph zone, and apparently got the attention of a cop. Now, he did say my wheels squealed, but I didn't hear it since I had the radio up loud at the moment. And admittedly, I was dong ten over the 55mph speed limit by the time he pulled me over. Ok, so I am guilty of speeding, no question...

However, when he stopped me, he asked my why I was going so fast. I told him, I was going ten over (which I was - had the cruise set to 65mph because I knew if I didn't I would probably have hit 75mph on that road. But even then the speedo is not perfect so I was probably really only doing 62mph or so) because I was trying to get home before my son got off the bus at 4pm, which was true. His response? "Ten over? You were doing ten over when you rounded the corner back there!". Um no, I thought to myself and gave him a confused look. And then it hit me, and I knew that I had just screwed myself because I don't think he even had a radar gun (he was on a frickin' motocycle after all, duh) - and I doubt he ever clocked me. However, like an idiot, I had already admitted to ten over. So, he brings me a ticket, but not for ten over. Instead it was for five over. So, sure, technically he actually gave me a break. But it also made me even more suspiscious that the guy never clocked me, and I think he figured at five over I'd not contest it, just pay the ticket and move on (which is true). So in the end I am not really angry, I was legitimately speeding after all. But it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

End of story? No. I go to pay the ticket - almost a month later, and a few days late in fact - and wouldn't you know it is not in the system. The guy never reported it. Why? Well, I suspect it is because he later thought better of it because he had no evidence. It was all based on his hunch (and my foolish confession). But I had already put the damn ticket on the counter so the lady knew it existed, and she took it, entered it in the system, and charged me the fee. Damn! That left me more than a little miffed I must say.

Ok... back to the regularly scheduled thread.
similar thing happens to me once. I redline 1-2 gear from the stop light but eazed up after reaching about 8miles above the posted speed limit. The cop pulled me over from behind saying I was speeding like 30miles over. I knew he was BS because I remembered exactly how fast I was going. I told him straight off "NO, sorry but I didn't speed. i took off fast but maintain the posted speed limit". He looked confused a bit and let me go with an advise "drive safe". I knew right after he said 30 over that he was never clocked me. if he did, he would have say 8-10 over, not 30 over.

Don't ever admit you over speed even if you do a little. Unless you are serious speeding and you know for sure he clocked you.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #82
j0k3r
E90 soon...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
similar thing happens to me once. I redline 1-2 gear from the stop light but eazed up after reaching about 8miles above the posted speed limit. The cop pulled me over from behind saying I was speeding like 30miles over. I knew he was BS because I remembered exactly how fast I was going. I told him straight off "NO, sorry but I didn't speed. i took off fast but maintain the posted speed limit". He looked confused a bit and let me go with an advise "drive safe". I knew right after he said 30 over that he was never clocked me. if he did, he would have say 8-10 over, not 30 over.

Don't ever admit you over speed even if you do a little. Unless you are serious speeding and you know for sure he clocked you.
Lucky you. In some states here exhibition of speed is an offense. Even accelerating at an "unsafe rate" can get you ticketed. Not many people know this.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #83
Grey Space
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Are you the one yelling at others to slow down in the neighborhood?
I used to live in a house that was on a main street in a subdivision. The major roadway near our subdivision was under construction for several years, and people started using my street as a cut-through to get around the traffic. Street speed limit was 25mph, cut-through traffic speeds were typically 40+ mph, because the cut-through people were trying to beat the backup at the traffic light on the big road.

We complained to local cops, but since we didn't have a school zone in our neighborhood (speeding in school zone = higher fine than speeding in neighborhood), the cops really didn't care. I tried yelling at people to slow down, but it usually just resulted in getting the finger. Standing in my front yard with a shotgun just made them go faster

So, I started randomly distributing orange traffic cones and barrels on my street, "borrowed" from the nearby major roadwork site. This slowed people down for a while, until the regular cut-through people figured out that there wasn't any actual construction on our street. I then started randomly distributing cinderblocks from a nearby office-building construction site, and that REALLY slowed people down, especially during wintertime evening rush hour when it was getting dark

Some cut-through person who ran over a cinderblock complained to the cops, and they sent an officer around to ask all the neighbors if they knew who was leaving the cinderblocks on the road. All of my nearby neighbors either knew or had a really good idea who was doing it, but none of them gave me away because they or their kids all had close encounters with the speeders.

After several weeks of traffic cone slalom followed by cinderblock slalom, we saw a decrease in cut-throughs. Eventually the homeowner's association got the city to put speed humps on our street, thus ruining it for everyone. Thanks, speeders
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #84
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

... i wouldnt ever say anything to anyone about driving, unless they were wreckless enough to endanger my life, or someone close to me somehow ...

and for the record, when i speed.. its not much above the speed limit, theres no point in hitting 90mph in a 30mph zone (thats dangerous), but if i wanna rip it 0-30mph then cruise the rest of the block "so be it", "yea i took off quick, but i could stop quicker.."

This thread explains my thoughts exactly. Dead on Rawedge.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #85
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0k3r View Post
Lucky you. In some states here exhibition of speed is an offense. Even accelerating at an "unsafe rate" can get you ticketed. Not many people know this.
Yeah, that's kind of why I fessed up and just played it straight with the guy. I was concerned he might throw everything he could at me, such as taking the turn at an unsafe speed, reckless driving, etc. It was a judgement call on my part. I think he was going to give me some sort of ticket regardless if I hadn't told him my speed anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #86
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The most dangerous drivers in our street are two women, both mothers who drive at crazy speeds into our cul de sac where the kids are always out playing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #87
Grey Space
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The most dangerous drivers in our street are two women, both mothers who drive at crazy speeds into our cul de sac where the kids are always out playing.
If you want to have a bit of fun with them, and perhaps slow them down a bit, get yourself a brightly-colored child's inflatable ball. When one of your speed demonettes is barrelling toward the cul de sac, toss the ball out into the road in front of her vehicle. It's wonderful entertainment
Appreciate 0