BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #45
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieM3 View Post
Would you expect a set of lightweight APEX or Bimmerworld 19s would significantly improve handling over the OEM ZCP wheels?
I could feel the weight difference between the 220m's and the 359's which are cast, although the actual weight differential is not that large somewhere in the region of 2-3lbs. The car feels a touch less nimble. Based on that I'm pretty sure if you ran forged 18's and shaved off 3-4 lbs per wheel it would definitely be noticeable in a good way. Couple that with lighter brakes to reduce unsprung weight even more I'd expect to be pretty transformative.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #46
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Just curious how you guys would feel about the M2 if the engine and exhaust sounded as good as the s65?

Personally, I think the m2 looks great. More aggressive and purposeful than the e90/92.

The s65 was the primary reason I bought my m3.
Pretty sure there are some S65 swapped 1M's out there. The 1M was significantly lighter than the e9x IIRC so if they can get the suspension setup right i'm sure they are a riot to drive.

The M2 has the more modern aggressive look, but I think the e9x is more timeless with its subtle lines and bonnet bulge. Both great cars honestly, I definitely would like to have an M2 in the stable at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #47
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I agree with the sentiments in this thread. I really like the m2 but it's lackluster in many regards compared to an e92. Size and weight it's actually pretty close.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      04-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #48
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
Just curious how you guys would feel about the M2 if the engine and exhaust sounded as good as the s65?

Personally, I think the m2 looks great. More aggressive and purposeful than the e90/92.

The s65 was the primary reason I bought my m3.
Pretty sure there are some S65 swapped 1M's out there. The 1M was significantly lighter than the e9x IIRC so if they can get the suspension setup right i'm sure they are a riot to drive.

The M2 has the more modern aggressive look, but I think the e9x is more timeless with its subtle lines and bonnet bulge. Both great cars honestly, I definitely would like to have an M2 in the stable at some point.
I have a 4.6L s65 Track Prepped 1M Clone. It's an entirely different car than an e9x m3 or a 1M.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
ItsGary1456.50
      04-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #49
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I have a 4.6L s65 Track Prepped 1M Clone. It's an entirely different car than an e9x m3 or a 1M.
yeah...its an animal.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #50
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. Don't know if I should keep the E92 or move to the M2

My E92 m3 CPO warranty is about to end and I'm considering going to an M2. They're dropping into the 49k-52k range Canadian and it seems worth it.

If I decide to keep the M3, I have to change rod bearings and tires, which will net me about ~5k CAD. Or I can just pocket that amount and move myself into an M2 which has warranty. Not to mention that with my current finance issues, it makes economic sense to lower my payments by about 300 dollars a month by just switching over.

At the same time, I fear that i'll miss the car too much if make that switch.

Last edited by Lt1camaro; 02-09-2019 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #51
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Don't get me wrong, I adore my 92M but I wonder how much of these comments are cos we are an E9x M3 forum.

I mean, I wonder of there's anyone in the M2 forum saying "I drove an E9x M3 and regret buying my M2."

Lol
i'm able to separate my bias well. at least i like to think so... i'm definitely not loyal to the bmw brand like i used to be, and i think that makes my perceptions of bmw's cars even more fair.
here is another thing i figured out about myself. it is ok to acknowledge a fast car, but not like the way it looks or drives.
i had driven the f8x non-m cars when i went to the dealer for loaners. this was before i had driven an f8x M car. something very distinct changed about the cars changed... they simply don't have the bmw feel i fell in love with driving an e46 325ci, and now my e92. the attitude of the brand has changed.
the performance is there, no doubt about that, but i'm not "wowed" by it. after driving the new M cars on track at a performance day, i was a little underwhelmed. i liked it ok, but i wasn't in love.

now, if i could afford to have a loaded m5 for a daily driver, i'd be in love. my love for a great car, and my love for how a car makes me feel, is very different though.
That's pretty Clarkson right there.... well said and aptly put
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      02-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #52
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Don't get me wrong, I adore my 92M but I wonder how much of these comments are cos we are an E9x M3 forum.

I mean, I wonder of there's anyone in the M2 forum saying "I drove an E9x M3 and regret buying my M2."

Lol
I think it will depend on where they are coming from, if it's their first M car, yes they will think it's the best thing since slice bread.

If they've had experience with other M cars or other sports cars, then chances are they might not. If they are afraid of buying an older car out of warranty or want the latest tech, then yes of course they will love the new Ms.
I'm one of those people. The E92 simply is too old. I want it brand new with a warranty. I love my F80 M3 CS. I'm pretty sure I would have loved the E92 if I had gotten it new. Heck, I wanted a used one for the track, however i came to the conclusion that I wanted a more driver oriented sports car. The great thing about an M3 is that it's a street car you can daily drive AND take to the track. But if I'm getting one JUST for the track, I think something more purpose built would be more suited. Until I get a 911 or 981 for the track, I don't think I'd rather have anything else than the newest M3/4 F80 or G80. I believe that and that's why I went with it, I don't think that because I have it. I'm sure there are some E9X drivers that passed on the F80 because they prefer the E9X and that's okay too.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
xander_g970.00
      02-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #53
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styral View Post
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get into a friends M2 6mt. He gave me the full reigns to drive it however I wanted. (Good friend I know)

Before anyone brings it up, yes I know the e92 had a higher original MSRP and some people just want new cars. But anyway....

I did love the size, tossability, shifter feel, and was impressed with the overall handling.

But I came back thinking "Who in their right mind spends that kind of money over a used E92".

-No significant power difference
-Sounded terrible compared to the S65
-Overall interior fit and finish made my e92 feel premium.

I was considering a used M2 once prices came down, but decided that ill indeed keep my e92.

Has anyone else driven an M2? I'm curious if anyone else had the same experience.
I would never consider it, I remember the original 1 series hatchback when it came out in the UK, probably the ugliest BMW ever made imo. There's been an improvement in the front, but the back looks cheap. Not on the same level as the M3 E9x.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #54
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm one of those people. The E92 simply is too old. I want it brand new with a warranty. I love my F80 M3 CS. I'm pretty sure I would have loved the E92 if I had gotten it new. Heck, I wanted a used one for the track, however i came to the conclusion that I wanted a more driver oriented sports car. The great thing about an M3 is that it's a street car you can daily drive AND take to the track. But if I'm getting one JUST for the track, I think something more purpose built would be more suited. Until I get a 911 or 981 for the track, I don't think I'd rather have anything else than the newest M3/4 F80 or G80. I believe that and that's why I went with it, I don't think that because I have it. I'm sure there are some E9X drivers that passed on the F80 because they prefer the E9X and that's okay too.
That's the mentality I had when I decided to get an M3 and just like the end your post, I didn't like the F8x and kept looking for the right E92 until it came along.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #55
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've been saying this since I drove an M2 on track.

One would have to be really interested having a warranty in order to do it.
Tracking a car would void most warranties.
      02-27-2019, 05:50 AM   #56
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Tracking a car would void most warranties.
You can track any M car every day of its life and still retail warranty.

The only cases where you lose it is timed competition or preparation for timed competition. A HPDE is neither

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 02-27-2019 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      02-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #57
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
You can track any M car every day of its life and still retail warranty.

The only cases where you lose it is timed competition or preparation for timed competition. A HPDE is neither
In my experience not all dealers will honour warranty if a car has been on a track. You can simply say it happened off track, but officially many won't honour.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #58
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats View Post
In my experience not all dealers will honour warranty if a car has been on a track. You can simply say it happened off track, but officially many won't honour.
BMW does. It isn't up to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10699.00
      02-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #59
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. Don't know if I should keep the E92 or move to the M2

My E92 m3 CPO warranty is about to end and I'm considering going to an M2. They're dropping into the 49k-52k range Canadian and it seems worth it.

If I decide to keep the M3, I have to change rod bearings and tires, which will net me about ~5k CAD. Or I can just pocket that amount and move myself into an M2 which has warranty. Not to mention that with my current finance issues, it makes economic sense to lower my payments by about 300 dollars a month by just switching over.

The OG M2 are heading to 30,000$ faster than you can blink. They'll be good buys then.

You can find M4s in the M2 range, a much better car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #60
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
BMW does. It isn't up to the dealer.
BMW doesn’t. I was denied warranty because they found videos of my car at hpde’s. The ONLY reason I was able to fight and win was because I bought like 6 new bmw’s in the past 8 years (at the time it happened) and had just bought a 7th when my m3 motor failed. Bmw just wants to maximize profits like most of the other car companies. They don’t care about your passion for Motorsports or bmws. If you have a good history of buying new bmws, they might help you in the end. You need to be a valuable customer. That’s all they care about.

Porsche is the only company I know of that truly warranties tracked cars without issues.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #61
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
BMW doesn’t. I was denied warranty because they found videos of my car at hpde’s. The ONLY reason I was able to fight and win was because I bought like 6 new bmw’s in the past 8 years (at the time it happened) and had just bought a 7th when my m3 motor failed. Bmw just wants to maximize profits like most of the other car companies. They don’t care about your passion for Motorsports or bmws. If you have a good history of buying new bmws, they might help you in the end. You need to be a valuable customer. That’s all they care about.

Porsche is the only company I know of that truly warranties tracked cars without issues.
BMWNA denied your warranty or did the dealership say that?

Your videos, did they show timing equipment?

Porsche guys get their warranty declined for running sticky tires
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #62
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styral View Post
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get into a friends M2 6mt. He gave me the full reigns to drive it however I wanted. (Good friend I know)

Before anyone brings it up, yes I know the e92 had a higher original MSRP and some people just want new cars. But anyway....

I did love the size, tossability, shifter feel, and was impressed with the overall handling.

But I came back thinking "Who in their right mind spends that kind of money over a used E92".

-No significant power difference
-Sounded terrible compared to the S65
-Overall interior fit and finish made my e92 feel premium.

I was considering a used M2 once prices came down, but decided that ill indeed keep my e92.

Has anyone else driven an M2? I'm curious if anyone else had the same experience.
The M2 was built for certain type of customer. You bought an E90 M3 which was built for a different type of customer. Most E90 M3 customers put more weight on luxury and premium feel. They were OK with the extra weight and size and edged more toward a Grand Tourer. The M2 was geared toward people that wanted smaller nimbler cars and put higher priority on nimblemess and driving experience than exclusivity, MSRP etc.

They were just built with different philosophies. The E90 sounds amazing but actually not the most amazing sound. I think that goes to the E39 M5 V8.

So there is no right or wrong just preference.... some guys like their guitars with wide necks, some like thin necks. Some like Taylor guitars and some like Martin. If you like the deeper bass of the Martin dreadnoughts you will be dissapointed by the crisper highs of the taylors but not as boomy.

Sadly, you have one of the better sounding M3s ever and there will never be anything as good. To add insult, M2s add fake sound in the cabin but everyone has different requirements and likes. If you want something that gets decent gas mileage, is nimble and fast then M2 is for you. If you are the type of guy that cares about executive packages, extended leather, then the M3 would score higher.

So to summarize, you have the right car for you.

I picked the 1M over the E90 M3 despite the M3 sounding amazing because in other respects the 1M felt better. It was more nimble, tons of torque, smaller and i didn't care if the Boston Leather was harder than my 325i's leatherette vinyl. I didn't care if it didn't have power folding mirrors or a nav screen. I know how to fold the mirrors myself if I need to and I know how to get home and to work and don't need nav for that. Actually, I valued weight savings more over fluff. So when it was crunch time and I had to decide which are for Euro delivery, I agonized somewhat but went with 1M in 2011. Now that I have the 1M, I am considering a used E90 M3s because I already have a smaller, nimbler car and great sounding 4 door heavy GT car sounds great.

The best car in the world....is the one YOU like.
Appreciate 2
TimMc44.00
      03-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #63
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:

I had thought that about Porsche too, but I was given documentation with mine saying that they did not warranty if due to track conditions. I called them out on it, they felt a little ridiculous, and suggested I say any problems came up off the track. Not sure if that was a rogue dealer, but they are a large one in the area...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #64
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
BMWNA denied your warranty or did the dealership say that?

Your videos, did they show timing equipment?

Porsche guys get their warranty declined for running sticky tires
It was BMWNA. I had a very good relationship with the dealership I took my car to. Knew my SA really well and the techs who worked on my car. It’s funny how “timing” apps void warranty when bmw has a timing app on the App Store that works with M cars when connected to idrive.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #65
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post

I don't know why everyone is afraid to own a car without a warranty. Just put some money aside for maintenance and keep driving it. Also, I'm confused how a new M2 will lower your monthly costs by $300.

BMW doesn't void warranties for tracking, but they will refuse to cover things that are damaged by tracking. That's well within their rights.
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      03-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #66
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
It was BMWNA. I had a very good relationship with the dealership I took my car to. Knew my SA really well and the techs who worked on my car. It’s funny how “timing” apps void warranty when bmw has a timing app on the App Store that works with M cars when connected to idrive.
As far as I'm concerned PCA/BMACCA also prohibit timing devices. I know my students can't have one at all.
Appreciate 0