BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #67
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Most owners can't fathom spending $1200 for a new OEM set- no way people will line up for a set that costs over twice or even three times that.
Not to mention that it'd weigh more than stock...

Wouldn't it also require a review of all the fasteners for metallurgy, appropriate torque spec, etc.?
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #68
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Question for the experts. I've been tinkering with trying to refinish some used valve covers, just to see if I could get them in shape to replace mine on my car. I had them blasted and powder coated, probably not the best job, but really only care about the safety of using them. I do not believe they are warped, but I'll get that checked. I had to find random shops to help me with these, something to do over the lockdown period, so I didn't expect cosmetic perfection on everything, but I do want functionality to be almost certain.

My main concern is the inside, some parts appear to have ridges and such that I'll post in pictures, they don't appear to be flaking, and I can scratch them with nothing coming off, despite how they look.. I'm not sure if this is just how magnesium acts, and it's not perfectly smooth, or if it's something that is not supposed to be there. The other thing I want to make sure, is how perfect do the edges have to be to make a proper seal with the new OEM gasket?

And no, I do not prefer to pay $1400 for new OEM, so I'm hoping to make these work if possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
jun_e92140.50
      05-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #69
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Those look like casting flaws. I’d be looking more at the perimeter that the gasket contacts.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      05-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #70
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Those look like casting flaws. I’d be looking more at the perimeter that the gasket contacts.
That's what I was hoping, but I couldn't think of the word/cause of those places on the inside, thank you! I just wanted to make sure those weren't serious in terms of anything structurally being wrong, where the heat would cause damage or something. How perfect do the edges need to be? this is probably the worst looking edge/corner..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      05-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #71
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Quote:
Those look like casting flaws. I'd be looking more at the perimeter that the gasket contacts.
That's what I was hoping, but I couldn't think of the word/cause of those places on the inside, thank you! I just wanted to make sure those weren't serious in terms of anything structurally being wrong, where the heat would cause damage or something. How perfect do the edges need to be? this is probably the worst looking edge/corner..
anyone have any insight on how the edges look in this picture and if they will cause any issues with the seal?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #72
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Those look like casting flaws. I'd be looking more at the perimeter that the gasket contacts.
anyone have any insight on how the edges look in this picture and if they will cause any issues with the seal?
Should be fine. The gasket is pretty thick and dual ribbed, it's pretty forgiving, put a liberal amount of permatex ultra black in the groove to glue the gasket in prior to installation.
DrFerry6728.50
      05-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #73
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Question for the experts. I've been tinkering with trying to refinish some used valve covers, just to see if I could get them in shape to replace mine on my car. I had them blasted and powder coated, probably not the best job, but really only care about the safety of using them. I do not believe they are warped, but I'll get that checked. I had to find random shops to help me with these, something to do over the lockdown period, so I didn't expect cosmetic perfection on everything, but I do want functionality to be almost certain.

My main concern is the inside, some parts appear to have ridges and such that I'll post in pictures, they don't appear to be flaking, and I can scratch them with nothing coming off, despite how they look.. I'm not sure if this is just how magnesium acts, and it's not perfectly smooth, or if it's something that is not supposed to be there. The other thing I want to make sure, is how perfect do the edges have to be to make a proper seal with the new OEM gasket?

And no, I do not prefer to pay $1400 for new OEM, so I'm hoping to make these work if possible.
I haven't looked at the inside of any brand new OEM covers for reference - but I imagine these "flaws" were present after bead blasting and before coating, yeah?

Curious to hear what the experts think, too.

My covers are leaking now also. I've replaced gaskets in the past so I'm toying with the idea of a full OEM replacement. I'd hate to try and refinish them only to find out they were warped and spending $$ on refinishing didn't solve any of the issues.

Although I love the way the red looks!
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      05-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #74
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you're removing a used cover then you will have flaking and pitted sealing grooves. Need to run a small bead inside the entire perimeter of the sealing groove before fitting the gasket. That will seal any irregularities in the sealing surface. The covers must be absolutely clean and oil free and you need to scrape the loose/corroded magnesium free to create a solid bed for the sealant. When you think the cover is clean...clean it again. Soap and water. Final wipe down in the groove with lacquer thinner.

I hate using silicone where it's not supposed to go, but this is the only way to prolong a leak free seal on these covers.
@Deansbimmer. Dean, just wanted to confirm what you meant by this "Need to run a small bead inside the entire perimeter". I am trying to get mine that I refinished ready for install. Worried about the perimeter seal.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #75
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Quote:

I haven't looked at the inside of any brand new OEM covers for reference - but I imagine these "flaws" were present after bead blasting and before coating, yeah?

Curious to hear what the experts think, too.

My covers are leaking now also. I've replaced gaskets in the past so I'm toying with the idea of a full OEM replacement. I'd hate to try and refinish them only to find out they were warped and spending $$ on refinishing didn't solve any of the issues. perhaps I should sand them a little by hand? not sure if that's safe or what to use...

Although I love the way the red looks!
I'm not entirely sure.. they might have been there before from factory. I bought them used, and forgot to look at them that closely before refinishing. I wish I knew what steps I could take to make the edges better and able to go many miles without a leak... but can't seem to find the answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #76
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
@Deansbimmer. Dean, just wanted to confirm what you meant by this "Need to run a small bead inside the entire perimeter". I am trying to get mine that I refinished ready for install. Worried about the perimeter seal.
You need to put a bead of silicone in the gasket groove before you insert the gasket and reinstall the cover. Enough to seal the voids but not so much that it oozes out when you torque down the cover.

Bead blasting used magnesium castings will always expose porosity. Even if you coat the sealing groove you'll still need to augment the seal with a silicone gasket maker like Dirko grey.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881105.00
DrFerry6728.50
      05-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #77
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You need to put a bead of silicone in the gasket groove before you insert the gasket and reinstall the cover. Enough to seal the voids but not so much that it oozes out when you torque down the cover.

Bead blasting used magnesium castings will always expose porosity. Even if you coat the sealing groove you'll still need to augment the seal with a silicone gasket maker like Dirko grey.
Thank you! very helpful. much appreciated. I assume this is something I will ask my shop to do before the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #78
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Signal View Post
Surprised no one has made aluminum valve covers that also addresses the oil cap problem too
Expensive. Very expensive. To CNC mill out a block of aluminum like that is a lot of hours and work on the mill. Not to mention the scrap of material when doing the inside of the cover.

I doubt anyone would cough up the money to do it, even if it was done, its going to be a one-off project.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #79
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Expensive. Very expensive. To CNC mill out a block of aluminum like that is a lot of hours and work on the mill. Not to mention the scrap of material when doing the inside of the cover.

I doubt anyone would cough up the money to do it, even if it was done, its going to be a one-off project.
Might actually be a good candidate for metal deposition additive manufacturing. Would still need some mill time but not ages like billet would
Appreciate 2
Davisca4552207.50
DrFerry6728.50
      05-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #80
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

If it's been discussed before, forgive me for missing it -

But I just came across these Future Classics powder coated valve covers in IND's site. Seems like a competitive price. Am I missing something? Anyone have experience with these?

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...alve-cover-set
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #81
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:

But I just came across these Future Classics powder coated valve covers in IND's site. Seems like a competitive price. Am I missing something? Anyone have experience with these?

If Im not mistaken, these are used valve covers, powder coated with the hardware from IND. Mporium has several sets at their shop for around $750.

If Im off Im sure someone will chime in.
Appreciate 2
JBird..165.50
      05-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #82
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedubin01 View Post
Quote:

If Im not mistaken, these are used valve covers, powder coated with the hardware from IND. Mporium has several sets at their shop for around $750.

If Im off Im sure someone will chime in.
You're right. I spoke too soon. Refurbished prices are similar to new OEM. New powder coated ones from IND are $1800. For that price I can buy my own new ones and have them powder coated.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #83
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just remember OEM does not come with all the hardware. Its best to find a nice used set and have them done on your own. Then you dont have to have your car down so long waiting on a powder coat guy to get them back to you. Ive seen Mporium's and they are in quite nice shape with different colors to choose from. They come with the hardware for that price. That might be the way I go here in the not to long future.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #84
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:

I have those, the refurbished set. They originally were advertised with all the hardware included, which evidently they had not intended. Told me they would refund my purchase price but they were good sports and with some convincing they provided all the hardware they said was included.

Unfortunately, now, they are just bare and you have to supply all your own hardware and gaskets. I don't think it's a good value at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #85
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I have those, the refurbished set. They originally were advertised with all the hardware included, which evidently they had not intended. Told me they would refund my purchase price but they were good sports and with some convincing they provided all the hardware they said was included.

Unfortunately, now, they are just bare and you have to supply all your own hardware and gaskets. I don't think it's a good value at all.

wow, say $300 for a used set, $100 for sand blasting and powder coating. Sell for $1100 with out gaskets and hardware. I guess the American way!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #86
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedubin01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post

wow, say $300 for a used set, $100 for sand blasting and powder coating. Sell for $1100 with out gaskets and hardware. I guess the American way!
I did my entire refurb with a used set over the last two weeks for $300 total (no hardware). $200 used set, $100 PC.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #87
Zero Signal
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone tried polishing them? A plus would be no future flaking or peeling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YsTF1Slg0
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #88
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did my entire refurb with a used set over the last two weeks for $300 total (no hardware). $200 used set, $100 PC.

Yeah, you picked up the valve covers I had replied first to the ad for but was out of town to respond. You got a great deal on them for sure! Super jealous, they came out super nice!
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00