BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray E90 M3

Cold start grinding noise

This happens quite often. I don't know what it is but it scares the shit out of me.

Update (7/29/2019):

For the last week, I've parked my car on the street instead of my driveway and I don't get this noise anymore. I'm shocked honestly and I'm now trying to avoid any kind of uneven surface out of paranoia lol.

http://954mm.com

IG: @954MM/@954M3

Last edited by BRNDNSLVRA; 07-29-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Mine does something similar.. I've just given up trying to figure it out as it drives fine. there are two or three long threads on here, nothing ever was found out about what causes it or if it is serious.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Mine does something similar.. I've just given up trying to figure it out as it drives fine. there are two or three long threads on here, nothing ever was found out about what causes it or if it is serious.
Yeah I've asked a few people and they all say the same thing. most people say that it's normal and that it's fine. It's just really annoying to hear. But I'd still like to figure it out. Its the only noise this car makes after 101,862 miles.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
mubarak
Private
Rep
Drives: M6,,m5,,m3,,x5m

What oil do you use Castrol ,, twinturbo or lliquiymoly
I was having this at start up at cold start
I switch to 10w60 liqiymoly and all good
If you are running Castrol or bmw Twinturo oils.,switch to liquymoly

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954MM View Post
This happens quite often. I don't know what it is but it scares the shit out of me.

You have the cold start clunk noise , here is everything about it => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954MM View Post

You have the cold start clunk noise , here is everything about it => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069
This is the one I read... but unless I missed something, there was no definitive answer on what it is or if it's bad?
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
This is the one I read... but unless I missed something, there was no definitive answer on what it is or if it's bad?
Please read my post *# 232* on this page about the Vanos Gears , it was a PUMA case
=> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...996069&page=11

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      07-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please read my post *# 232* on this page about the Vanos Gears , it was a PUMA case
=> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...69&page=11
But from what I understood in that thread, only in one case did the vanos fix end up fixing the problem. Several people did vanos chains and such and did not change it. Also, in one thread maybe that one, Malek made a post saying it was nothing.

My point was that there was no definitive answer, even that post didn't definitively say what happened.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
But from what I understood in that thread, only in one case did the vanos fix end up fixing the problem. Several people did vanos chains and such and did not change it. Also, in one thread maybe that one, Malek made a post saying it was nothing.

My point was that there was no definitive answer, even that post didn't definitively say what happened.
Yep . It was only fixed once by replacing the Vanos Gears .
The owner of the car is *M3PO* you can read his comment in post # 59 on this page => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...=996069&page=3
You can PM him as well ...

Note : I have the cold start clunk noise too . Like most S65 do ...Daily drivers don't have the noise .

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yep . It was only fixed once by replacing the Vanos Gears .
The owner of the car is *M3PO* you can read his comment in post # 59 on this page => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...069&page=3
You can PM him as well ...

Note : I have the cold start clunk noise too . Like most S65 do ...Daily drivers don't have the noise .
Mine is a daily. Mine is exactly the same noise as the one in that thread, but it's hit or miss when it happens. Sometimes cold, but also sometimes warm-ish, such as after sitting for 4-8 hours. I've never had an issue with driving or performance. So far, I'm not worried... unless someone shows me I should be.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a daily. Mine is exactly the same noise as the one in that thread, but it's hit or miss when it happens. Sometimes cold, but also sometimes warm-ish, such as after sitting for 4-8 hours. I've never had an issue with driving or performance. So far, I'm not worried... unless someone shows me I should be.
Don't think the noise will harm our S65 . While Mike Benvo (BPM-Tuning in LA) tuned my car , he said he heard the noise at start up all over the world on Skype.
But yeah . I'm always thinking that noise sounds not healthy to me...

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-14-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

Only fix is to quickly rev engine to 3000 rpm before you shut it off.
      07-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubarak View Post
What oil do you use Castrol ,, twinturbo or lliquiymoly
I was having this at start up at cold start
I switch to 10w60 liqiymoly and all good
If you are running Castrol or bmw Twinturo oils.,switch to liquymoly

Thank you.
I bought the car last January and have only used Liquimoly. Last oil change, I used ceratec and much much less. I didnt use ceratec this time. I'll do it next oil change.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciges View Post
Do you mind elaborating on this? why? How? who?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #15
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you rev engine oil pressure increases and pumps up timing chain tensioners.Just try it,rev it up before you shut it off and leave it overnight.
      07-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #16
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When you rev engine oil pressure increases and pumps up timing chain tensioners.Just try it,rev it up before you shut it off and leave it overnight.
gotcha, thanks. Is this still something that could do damage? the noise that is... for example, I just now went out front to move my car around back into the garage after doing some cleanup. I had driven prob an hour ago, car was at full operating temp when I pulled back in. Fast forward one hour or so, just started it, and I got the fast, metallic "click click click" that happened right after the ignition, and went away. Mine comes and goes, but if the car has been sitting am hour or more, it's usually there. Sometimes one or two rapid "clinks" ... sometimes 4-5 rapid ones.. then they go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #17
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
gotcha, thanks. Is this still something that could do damage? the noise that is... for example, I just now went out front to move my car around back into the garage after doing some cleanup. I had driven prob an hour ago, car was at full operating temp when I pulled back in. Fast forward one hour or so, just started it, and I got the fast, metallic "click click click" that happened right after the ignition, and went away. Mine comes and goes, but if the car has been sitting am hour or more, it's usually there. Sometimes one or two rapid "clinks" ... sometimes 4-5 rapid ones.. then they go away.
Mine makes same noise after cooling down overnight,more in summer time when it is really hot , sometimes just one click,sometimes I can hear chain rattle and click when tensioners pump up.Used different oils,Castrol,Liqui Moly,M TwinPower Turbo,Ceratec additive,makes same noise .I just give it quick rev before shuting it down and it is quiet in the morning.
      07-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine makes same noise after cooling down overnight,more in summer time when it is really hot , sometimes just one click,sometimes I can hear chain rattle and click when tensioners pump up.Used different oils,Castrol,Liqui Moly,M TwinPower Turbo,Ceratec additive,makes same noise .I just give it quick rev before shuting it down and it is quiet in the morning.
What you described is exactly the situation I have, like the chain rattle sometimes, worse in hot weather, etc. Thanks! will try that... so assuming that's the mechanical cause, any sort of damage that is being caused potentially just by what's generating the noise?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well...I have to say your comments are really interesting .

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well...I have to say your comments are really interesting .
What do you think? I've been trying to figure this out for 6 months by reading on here, and this is the first credible evidence of something (I'm not sure what) that I've read involving my exact symptoms... I'm not mechanically inclined at all, so would be interested to hear someone who is try to see what his solution might mean as far as what's causing it.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #21
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
What do you think? I've been trying to figure this out for 6 months by reading on here, and this is the first credible evidence of something (I'm not sure what) that I've read involving my exact symptoms... I'm not mechanically inclined at all, so would be interested to hear someone who is try to see what his solution might mean as far as what's causing it.
Only 6 months ? I heard the noise already in 2012 . As you know the only fix I saw was replacing the Vanos Gears . Actually I was really surprised the fix was replacing the Vanos Gears with the same S65 Vanos Gears ?!?! Makes no sense..

I heard one owner had the noise with more than 100K miles on it . All we can do is try what *cignes* said above => *Only fix is to quickly rev engine to 3000 rpm before you shut it off*
I will try it next weekend for sure...

Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      07-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #22
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I heard the noise already in 2012 . As you know the only fix I saw was replacing the Vanos Gears . Actually I was really surprised the fix was replacing the Vanos Gears with the same S65 Vanos Gears ?!?! Makes no sense..

I heard one owner had the noise with more than 100K miles on it . All we can do is try what *cignes* said above => *Only fix is to quickly rev engine to 3000 rpm before you shut it off*
I will try it next weekend for sure...
Mines at 108K miles and pretty damn solid except for this start up noise plus a cowbell.. fingers crossed that this 'trick' is a way to fix it. Wish there was a way to correlate this idea to an accurate diagnosis... because as you mentioned, there was only one case where someone fixed it and it never made sense how it actually fixed it and maybe it was some sort of indirect part or something that actually eliminated the issue. I just wish I could get some sort of confirmation that my car is not going to blow up one day because of this start up chain rattle... ugh
Appreciate 1