BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #23
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans///m3 View Post
Hey jdamore, that looks great!

Does the trim around the idrive controller come apart from the center console? It looks clean on yours so I assume so? I really need to be able to remove mine because my trim is peeling and I would like to paint it as well.
For the CCC nav controller yes but it's tricky. It has a half dozen plastic tabs that are melted to be held in place. I took a razor and cut of the melted parts and it comes right out. When I reinstalled it, I used a drop of super glue in each tab but not to much so I could get it apart again if I ever wanted to wrap the console again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect View Post
What's that Ergo Touchpad for?
I integrated an AndroidPC on the nav. I made the bezel out of 2 layers of plexiglass, one for the bottom so the electronics on the touchpad would have space to clear and one with a perfectly cut whole so it sits flush. The fabric was actually flexible enough to wrap it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:49 AM   #24
jdamore
Captain
Rep

There is a ton of DIY on how to wrap with fabric but I'll give a quickie on the process I used.

To address the wrinkles caused by shipping, I took my iron and used the steam WITH OUT touching it. The pattern seems to be made out of a rubber like material that I was afraid of melting. It helps but doesn't repair it.

I used used the 3m 77 and superglue. Clean it well. I used dawn dish soap and washed it then gave it a good wipe with rubbing alcohol. The 77 holds very nicely to the wheel trim but not well on the leather from the center console. I recommend researching something different.

When you are wrapping the console, study the cuts that's in the leather do the same. When you wrap the fabric around the part, apply a light line (a drop) of super glue and press and hold. Be patient and hold it for at least 30 seconds. Keep doing that and pulling it tight (Not to tight or it will smooth out the pattern) in the corners and edges so there are no wrinkles.

Another challenge was the ashtray door. You have to pry it from the side that would be toward the front of the car. Feels like it's going to break but just support the part you're prying from and it will release. The silver detail is melted on simular to the iDrive. Cut the melted parts with a razor to remove and super glue to install it. Because the loss of clearance from adding fabric, I added a washer to each of the four screws when reinstalling the ashtray ensembly to the console.

I just hope the 77 holds up for a long time. I was able to wrap it flawlessly with this fabric. Just don't over stretch or bunch up in areas it matters.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by jdamore; 06-22-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #25
rumelk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, E93 M3

tell me more about the android pc installed via the navi
      06-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #26
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumelk View Post
tell me more about the android pc installed via the navi
You can find some info here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806078
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Fabric steamer worked ok, still wasn't able to get out some of the deep creases. However because I only need a small portion for the steering wheel cover It should be ok.

I did notice upon closer inspection that with the Pyspeed wrap the darker rectangle weave has to be vertical in order to match the angle of the OEM trim. Would have been nice if they could have matched the OEM better, but I'm sure I'll be the only one to notice.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #28
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finished my first CF wrap. I'm happy with the result for a first timer. Only issue I had was when trying to reinstall the trim, the steering controls were a little snug and bunched up a bit in 2-3 corners because of lack of clearance. I'm sure if I don't point it out to people no one will notice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #29
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Great job! Looks perfect to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #30
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RC View Post
Finished my first CF wrap. I'm happy with the result for a first timer. Only issue I had was when trying to reinstall the trim, the steering controls were a little snug and bunched up a bit in 2-3 corners because of lack of clearance. I'm sure if I don't point it out to people no one will notice.
Looks good!

I almost had the issue around the controls. I applied super glue around the inside edge of the holes so the fabric didn't move when I squeezed the buttons in. I didn't plan that, just got really lucky.
      11-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #31
TRS_Tom
TRS_Tom
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, DCT, PunisherGrey

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Nice. I'm getting ready to do this mod now as my 08 M3 has the peeling rubbery stuff they all had. Great thread and +1's to all who posted advice and/or info!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #32
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
this is 3m wrap. minus seats of course.
What kind of seats are those?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #33
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thought I'd bump this thread as I am looking to tackle this project soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
There is a ton of DIY on how to wrap with fabric but I'll give a quickie on the process I used.

To address the wrinkles caused by shipping, I took my iron and used the steam WITH OUT touching it. The pattern seems to be made out of a rubber like material that I was afraid of melting. It helps but doesn't repair it.

I used used the 3m 77 and superglue. Clean it well. I used dawn dish soap and washed it then gave it a good wipe with rubbing alcohol. The 77 holds very nicely to the wheel trim but not well on the leather from the center console. I recommend researching something different.
Sounds like the 3M 77 is good for the steering wheel trim, but not for the leather pieces. What other options are there?

Quote:
When you are wrapping the console, study the cuts that's in the leather do the same. When you wrap the fabric around the part, apply a light line (a drop) of super glue and press and hold. Be patient and hold it for at least 30 seconds. Keep doing that and pulling it tight (Not to tight or it will smooth out the pattern) in the corners and edges so there are no wrinkles.

Another challenge was the ashtray door. You have to pry it from the side that would be toward the front of the car. Feels like it's going to break but just support the part you're prying from and it will release. The silver detail is melted on simular to the iDrive. Cut the melted parts with a razor to remove and super glue to install it. Because the loss of clearance from adding fabric, I added a washer to each of the four screws when reinstalling the ashtray ensembly to the console.

I just hope the 77 holds up for a long time. I was able to wrap it flawlessly with this fabric. Just don't over stretch or bunch up in areas it matters.

Hope that helps!
So that silver "bump" is melted/glued on and is removable? After removing and wrapping the piece, what did you use to secure it to the fabric?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #34
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread as I am looking to tackle this project soon.

Sounds like the 3M 77 is good for the steering wheel trim, but not for the leather pieces. What other options are there?

So that silver "bump" is melted/glued on and is removable? After removing and wrapping the piece, what did you use to secure it to the fabric?
So far the 3m 77 is holding up nicely. If I did it over I would use 3M/Headliner & fabric adhesive. It's better at holding a bond in high heat. Also, use the super glue with the brush applicator.

Yes, the silver trim detail can be removed once you separate the halves of the lid. Take a small sharp chisel or razor and cut off the melted plastic (ring). Once the melted plastic is cut off, push off the detail.

Separating the halves of the lid is tricky. If you do the one in the back seat it's a little easier because the tabs holding the two halves together are easier to see. The front comes apart the same way but the tabs aren't visible so it's not obvious where to pry them apart.

Wrapping the lid is very tedious and probably the most difficult. If you have too much excess fabric, the two halves won't go back together. Figure out where/how the halves go together and manage the fabric accordingly.

Once you've wrapped it, you can install the silver detail. You'll need to poke holes in the fabric for the posts of the silver detail. Once it's in (it will be tight already), flip the piece over, put a drop of super glue on a post, press and hold it tight, and do the next post. This is what I did but you might find a better way.

Last edited by jdamore; 01-24-2015 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #35
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So far the 3m 77 is holding up nicely. If I did it over I would use 3M/Headliner & fabric adhesive. It's better at holding a bond in high heat. Also, use the super glue with the brush applicator.

Yes, the silver trim detail can be removed once you separate the halves of the lid. Take a small sharp chisel or razor and cut off the melted plastic (ring). Once the melted plastic is cut off, push off the detail.

Separating the halves of the lid is tricky. If you do the one in the back seat it's a little easier because the tabs holding the two halves together are easier to see. The front comes apart the same way but the tabs aren't visible so it's not obvious where to pry them apart.

Wrapping the lid is very tedious and probably the most difficult. If you have too much excess fabric, the two halves won't go back together. Figure out where/how the halves go together and manage the fabric accordingly.

Once you've wrapped it, you can install the silver detail. You'll need to poke holes in the fabric for the posts of the silver detail. Once it's in (it will be tight already), flip the piece over, put a drop of super glue on a post, press and hold it tight, and do the next post. This is what I did but you might find a better way.
Awesome, thanks. I really appreciate the help. If you don't mind, I might hit you up with more questions if I run into trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #36
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I really appreciate the help. If you don't mind, I might hit you up with more questions if I run into trouble.
Cool man.. I'm sub'ed to this thread or just PM me.
      02-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #37
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool man.. I'm sub'ed to this thread or just PM me.
Jdamore, just ordered wrap myself. I to may have to hit you up with a question if I get stuck too, lol.....
Thanks bro.
Ps: I noted in shipping comments to use care when packing material. Let you know if they do....
      02-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I just received my order of 2 yards and it was also in a small 6" box.

There are small creases and I'm not sure I can find a section the right size to cover the steering trim.

I know this might sound silly but is the fabric ironable on low?

Not sure how to get the creases out can still see some when I try to stretch the fabric.
They just shipped my order. I noted the packing issue. We'll see if they comply. The charcoal matches correct?
      02-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #39
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M
Quote:
I just received my order of 2 yards and it was also in a small 6" box.

There are small creases and I'm not sure I can find a section the right size to cover the steering trim.

I know this might sound silly but is the fabric ironable on low?

Not sure how to get the creases out can still see some when I try to stretch the fabric.
They just shipped my order. I noted the packing issue. We'll see if they comply. The charcoal matches correct?
I would say it's almost a perfect match. Probably as close as you'll find.

Anyone I've shown it to (car enthusiasts and non enthusiasts alike) think it's OEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #40
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Anyone I've shown it to (car enthusiasts and non enthusiasts alike) think it's OEM.
Agreed!

Have you tried tackling the center console yet, S1RC?
      02-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #41
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok girls, here's my pkg from Pyspeed. Apparently they don't give a fluck about creasing carbon wrap. As I noted when shipping to exercise caution packing a $50 piece of toilet paper fell on deaf ears. HOWEVER, as you can see, the creases don't seem permanant and should "hang" out in a couple of days. So Pyspeed may get a pass on this one. Also, color (charcoal) is almost exact to OEM, and I can practically wrap my whole interior!
Attached Images

02-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #42
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore
Quote:

Agreed!

Have you tried tackling the center console yet, S1RC?
No not yet.

I only did the steering wheel because the rubber crap was wearing off and it looked terrible.

Might consider the center console this spring when the car comes out of storage.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #43
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M View Post
Ok girls, here's my pkg from Pyspeed. Apparently they don't give a fluck about creasing carbon wrap. As I noted when shipping to exercise caution packing a $50 piece of toilet paper fell on deaf ears. HOWEVER, as you can see, the creases don't seem permanant and should "hang" out in a couple of days. So Pyspeed may get a pass on this one. Also, color (charcoal) is almost exact to OEM, and I can practically wrap my whole interior!
How many yards are you guys ordering to do the center console in the front and that little frame piece around the a/c vent in the rear? Is two yards good enough?

Also, is this the preferred adhesive? http://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headl.../dp/B004MEBENM

Last edited by Hujan; 03-04-2015 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #44
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
How many yards are you guys ordering to do the center console in the front and that little frame piece around the a/c vent in the rear? Is two yards good enough?

Also, is this the preferred adhesive? http://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headl.../dp/B004MEBENM
I ordered 1 yard, and it's plenty for consoles, and it's on sale now for $44. Note to self, when your cutting, be certain your cutting the swatch with the pattern in the right direction. I wasted a few pieces like that. The 3M 77 adhesive spray is good. Be sure to spray wrap on a piece of cardboard or something cause glue it gets all over. I also hung the wrap on a hanger like a pair of slacks, and all the creases disappeared.