BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #1849
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #1850
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
Damn it, he's back...party is over folks
I see how it is! Jerk I'll just show myself out then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Nice weather? Where? Sure as hell ain’t in Maryland. I’m getting SERIOUSLY angry over the complete dissapearing act spring has put on so far, there is no way we should stil be in the 30s until noon. And so far as I can tell, it’s just more of this for the next week at least. We haven’t sniffed the 60s so far.
Went to the bay area for a week and spent a few days in South Lake Tahoe to get away for a bit. Doing it at the end of the quarter wasn't a good idea since I ended up working until noon most days anyway. Rented a 458 for 2 days and drove down to LA via PCH, which the girlfriend wanted to do, but that was fun. Weather was a hell of a lot better than we have had in the Midwest. I got back here just in time for a damn snowstorm to come through
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #1851
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
I guess that adds another expense....

All I wanna do is have money ready for May to get fab work done and have everything installed, but nooooo the car has to have something wrong every other month

And I don't know what's up with the family mechanic, his phone has been off for 4 days straight....hopefully he didn't die or something; probably goes through about 3 packs of cigs a day. Course when I have the money to get the DPs put on THAT gets shut down as well...FFS, no luck these days
I hear you Re: plans getting ruined by stuff breaking, it’s very frustrating. I really want some new wheels and a stud conversion, but I have a bad feeling that my car is about to do something obnoxious. No particular reason why, but it hasn’t had any issues in a few months, so I feel like I’m due for something failing.

And if you can’t get a hold of your mech, just hit up Adam on the forums. His pricing is very reasonable, and start to finish he’ll take about 90 minutes assuming the pipes fit well, he’s extremely good on these motors. And he’s just a good dude, I learned a lot in the few times I’ve had my car at his place. As an added bonus, the roads in his neck of the woods are sweet, a nice change of pace from the urban bullshit I deal with on my daily drive from Bethesda to DC and back.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #1852
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
Went to the bay area for a week and spent a few days in South Lake Tahoe to get away for a bit. Doing it at the end of the quarter wasn't a good idea since I ended up working until noon most days anyway. Rented a 458 for 2 days and drove down to LA via PCH, which the girlfriend wanted to do, but that was fun. Weather was a hell of a lot better than we have had in the Midwest. I got back here just in time for a damn snowstorm to come through
Whoa. How was the Italia? I had a dream last night that I somehow owned a 430 'vert, I was seriously dissapointed when I woke up lol.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #1853
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

So I drove by the Aston Martin dealer on my way to work for shits.

I walked up and inspected the V8 Vantages they had on site. All 7 were manuals, the one I want is 80K with 10K miles on it.

My vert is paid off and ill need another car after I give back the E...so im saving my pennies.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1854
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So I drove by the Aston Martin dealer on my way to work for shits.

I walked up and inspected the V8 Vantages they had on site. All 7 were manuals, the one I want is 80K with 10K miles on it.

My vert is paid off and ill need another car after I give back the E...so im saving my pennies.
The Vantage is pretty astounding in terms of how it looks, the general profile of Aston’s have some of the best lines I’ve ever laid eyes on…But I can’t get over how “slow” they are for the cost. Obviously they’re not slow in absolute terms, but relative to other cars you can purchase for that type of money, they just don’t match up. For $80K I’d much prefer a used Porsche or M car….but the beauty of the Aston is pretty special. I see a decent number of ‘em in Georgetown (silly place, don’t ever visit it) and they’re one of those rare cars that instantly seizes your full attention. M5s and 911s, though I consider them superior cars, don’t do that for me..

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #1855
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Here my thing with Astons. They arent the fastest around a corner, and they arent the quickest in a straight line. But goddamn theres something about them that you just fall in love with.

Also have you heard a refreshed V8 Vantage with an exhaust?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #1856
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And if you can’t get a hold of your mech, just hit up Adam on the forums.
What's his username on here? and where's he live?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #1857
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Having the worst luck recently. Right when I get the cash to pick up the berk mids that are selling locally they sell
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #1858
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Whoa. How was the Italia? I had a dream last night that I somehow owned a 430 'vert, I was seriously dissapointed when I woke up lol.
It was a late birthday present from the girlfriend once she knew we were going on this trip. It was fun, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. Almost as if I was constantly expecting... more?

It was a hell of a lot of fun to drive, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know if I would want one anymore. Maybe having one that I customized to the way I wanted things and something that wasn't a rental might be better. Gear changes felt slow and the car didn't seemed as "refined" as I was hoping for. Granted, my GT-R probably skews my view on some of those things.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #1859
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Here my thing with Astons. They arent the fastest around a corner, and they arent the quickest in a straight line. But goddamn theres something about them that you just fall in love with.

that sound alone is worth the price of entry. There has always been something about the Astons that has been more appealing than others. As you said, not the fastest or best around the corner, but the overall package just makes them fantastic cars.

Without a doubt, something that I will seriously be considering for my next car purchase. There are enough of them around here that have almost no miles on them that can be picked up for a reasonable price. Now to figure out which other toy I don't "need" to get one.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #1860
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
What's his username on here? and where's he live?
his username is Clem, if you check out the regional section of here/1addcits you'll find plenty of talk about him. I can 100% vouch for the quality of his work and pricing, he can do downpipes in his sleep and they're actually a bit easier on our 1ers because the heat shielding is shaped a bit differently than on the E9xs. He lives out in Howard county, it's roughly 30 miles from where I live in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. When i was last there he was prepping for a complete E36 suspension overhall, which he tackled in about 11 hours. So downpipes are a walk in the park for him.

Edit: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798451

F30 N55 XDrive EBII

Last edited by 135Pats; 03-28-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #1861
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow. Like I said, i certainly understand the appeal I'm just a Porsche whore at heart, the first clear memory I have of a car involved holding tools for my grandfather when he'd work on his 911s.
Quote:
It was a late birthday present from the girlfriend once she knew we were going on this trip. It was fun, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. Almost as if I was constantly expecting... more?

It was a hell of a lot of fun to drive, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know if I would want one anymore. Maybe having one that I customized to the way I wanted things and something that wasn't a rental might be better. Gear changes felt slow and the car didn't seemed as "refined" as I was hoping for. Granted, my GT-R probably skews my view on some of those things.
Lol those damn GT-Rs spoil people, so much performance and competence for the money. IMO for 'refinement' it's the Germans who do it best. Italian cars will always shoot for flare and drama over refinement. While Hanz is studying the acoustic properties of a door chime in Germany, Francisco is likely figuring out how to add more flare to a fender. Different priorities I bet the 458 absolutely screams up top though..

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1862
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Wow. Like I said, i certainly understand the appeal I'm just a Porsche whore at heart, the first clear memory I have of a car involved holding tools for my grandfather when he'd work on his 911s.

Lol those damn GT-Rs spoil people, so much performance and competence for the money. IMO for 'refinement' it's the Germans who do it best. Italian cars will always shoot for flare and drama over refinement. While Hanz is studying the acoustic properties of a door chime in Germany, Francisco is likely figuring out how to add more flare to a fender. Different priorities I bet the 458 absolutely screams up top though..
Well, having sunk way too many thousands into my GT-R I may be a little biased too. I agree, the Germans really know what they are doing in refinement, and they obsess over it, as you said.

The sound of that car was something one must experience first hand, it's just not easy to put in to words. I really did love the car, I just don't know that I would consider one as heavily as I might have before. Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway was fantastic, however, and I would have been able to enjoy that in almost any car.

Getting the chance to meet up with a few old friends from college was nice too. I should have just planned the trip better and not gone at the end of the quarter.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1863
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
that sound alone is worth the price of entry. There has always been something about the Astons that has been more appealing than others. As you said, not the fastest or best around the corner, but the overall package just makes them fantastic cars.

Without a doubt, something that I will seriously be considering for my next car purchase. There are enough of them around here that have almost no miles on them that can be picked up for a reasonable price. Now to figure out which other toy I don't "need" to get one.
Sell me your GTR
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #1864
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Sell me your GTR
That is the one toy that will probably stay for the foreseeable future. Bikes, other cars and things can go though.

Need a 1959 Alfa romeo Guilietta Spider? It run when it wants to, and the seats need to be redone.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1865
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is the one toy that will probably stay for the foreseeable future. Bikes, other cars and things can go though.

Need a 1959 Alfa romeo Guilietta Spider? It run when it wants to, and the seats need to be redone.
nope, I dont like spiders. so no way in hell im gonna own a car called "spider".

Got a miata? I'll take that...new project im working on
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #1866
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
nope, I dont like spiders. so no way in hell im gonna own a car called "spider".

Got a miata? I'll take that...new project im working on
Damn! It's a fun little car, I'm just ready to get the money and buy something more... this century.

I had 2 of them, sold them end of last year. Fun cars, always make for fun projects.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #1867
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Damn! It's a fun little car, I'm just ready to get the money and buy something more... this century.

I had 2 of them, sold them end of last year. Fun cars, always make for fun projects.
gonna turn it into an exo car. I just need a donor car first. hard to find a cheap one in my are for some reason
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1868
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
gonna turn it into an exo car. I just need a donor car first. hard to find a cheap one in my are for some reason
That sounds like an awesome project! Those things have maintained their price fairly well because most people that have them know what others want them for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1869
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like an awesome project! Those things have maintained their price fairly well because most people that have them know what others want them for now.
yup, everything im finding is 5-6k which I wouldnt mind paying, but since all I really need is the subframes/engine+tranny... and im scrapping the rest. I really dont want to pay that much. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #1870
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

TGIF. I’m hoping to leave the office a bit early today to meet up with family, I haven’t taken any unscheduled vacation this year and haven’t left the office early either, so I think it’s justified. And like 70% of the office isn’t even in today. I had a dream last night that my car insurance was $900 per month, I just about pissed myself lol.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0