BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #1
Landru
Apex. Clean. Repeat.
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

For the love of God can someone just create a 1/2 mile East Coast event again?

All those ShiftSector and the like events on the west coast, all East Coast gets is some 1/3 events where you barely exceed drag strip speeds.

Someone make 1/2 East Coast events happen!

I feel like every other year someone SlipStream, RaceMotive, whoever tease 1/2 then it's all 1/3 when the season actually starts!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 11:03 PM   #2
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
All those ShiftSector and the like events on the west coast, all East Coast gets is some 1/3 events where you barely exceed drag strip speeds.

Someone make 1/2 East Coast events happen!

I feel like every other year someone SlipStream, RaceMotive, whoever tease 1/2 then it's all 1/3 when the season actually starts!
Most shift sector events are now mid-west (texas, indiana etc). They havent done Cali in a few years. There's an organization called Omega Motorsports running a few events per year in both CA and AZ. I will occasionally go if my friends can strong arm me but I never see any e9X M3's at any of these events.

Enthusiasm for these events have died out and are mostly attended by shops promoting their builds.

Doing a track day is 1000x more fun.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Landru
Apex. Clean. Repeat.
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Most shift sector events are now mid-west (texas, indiana etc). They havent done Cali in a few years. There's an organization called Omega Motorsports running a few events per year in both CA and AZ. I will occasionally go if my friends can strong arm me but I never see any e9X M3's at any of these events.

Enthusiasm for these events have died out and are mostly attended by shops promoting their builds.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Yeah I agree on the Track Day > Drag Day, but I want to top out the M3 I think a 1/2 mile is the only place to do it. 1/3 isn't enough room.

Over here on the East Coast, we have some 1/3 programs one called SlipStream and the other RaceMotive (I think they were the same company once but the co-owners had a falling out or something?...) anyway, every other year I swear they tease a 1/2 event in the PA-MD-VA area....

then season begins and the 1/2 event doesn't exist or it does exist 10 hours away from where they said in like Kansas or somewhere. really annoying....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Yeah I agree on the Track Day > Drag Day, but I want to top out the M3 I think a 1/2 mile is the only place to do it. 1/3 isn't enough room.

Over here on the East Coast, we have some 1/3 programs one called SlipStream and the other RaceMotive (I think they were the same company once but the co-owners had a falling out or something?...) anyway, every other year I swear they tease a 1/2 event in the PA-MD-VA area....

then season begins and the 1/2 event doesn't exist or it does exist 10 hours away from where they said in like Kansas or somewhere. really annoying....
Yeah I have heard of those events. One of the Porsche shops that I collaborate with: AIM Performance in NJ attends all those events and i do recall the format is predominantly 1/3 mile rolling 50-60 start.

I used to do the Cali and AZ 1/2 mile events with an ess650 e92 M3. Was a blast. I think the fastest it went was somewhere near 160mph standing start 1/2 mile. I think the stock e9X are in the 135-138mph range.

Maybe try to find a desolate straight road somewhere? I don't know your area but we have a lot of desolate open roads in the deserts between CA and AZ and you could go for miles and top out the car. I might have done it a few times to get to 200 or maybe i didnt
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0