BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

06-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

E90 M3 DCT Stripper (Slicktop, Clothseats, Single Hump) Build Journal

hello all,

recently picked up my E90 M3. Let me first start off by saying that this is my favorite "M" car to date -- and that is coming from someone who has driven nearly every model, and generation BMW / "M" car. I only see myself selling this car to fund the purchase of a 997.1 GT3 / 964.

Spec:
Alpine White
Slicktop
Cloth-Seats
No Navigation
No EDC
DCT
Rear sun-shades
Titan Shadow interior trim (my favorite!)

Current modifications (as of purchasing the car)
- KW Clubsports
- Cool Carbon front & rear brake pads
- 82mm MRG Titanium wheel studs
- EAS black grill
- EAS painted reflectors

The car's story:
I'm the third owner of this car. The first owner was presumably in the Navy, and ordered / took delivery of the car in Germany in late 2009. Once delivered, he drove the car in Germany for the first three years of ownership, until it was imported into the states in late 2012. He then continued to drive it for six more years, until trading it in for a newer car in 2018 at BMW of San Diego. The second owner purchased the car from BMW of San Diego in 2018, and put ~13,000 miles on the car in his two years of ownership, adding on tasteful modifications along the way.

PPI:
Several days before purchasing the car, I had the car inspected by Funfzehn. I received the following results:

The results were a little worse than expected, but not horrible. Oil seepage from both valve cover gaskets, and some seepage by the DCT pan -- in addition to collapsed engine mounts. From what I was told, this is to be expected in a car nearing 100,000 miles, but I would like to get these items taken care of sooner rather than later. I plan on having the rod bearings, engine mounts, and trans mounts replaced ASAP (at, or before 100,000 miles.)

The drive home:
Overall the car was really solid for the ~800 mile journey home. At 75-80+mph there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel, apart from that, everything went flawlessly. Before leaving, I taped up the front of the car to ensure that I wouldn't pick up too many rock chips.

The car preformed great, and oil temps stayed around 210-220 even in 109 degree heat.

After ~500 miles, the tape started to tear off...I'm just happy it even stayed on in the first place.

Home:

I plan on taking the car into the shop today in order to have the recall done. I also plan on having the tires balanced and re-mounted...curious to see their road force numbers.

Plans for the next few months:
- I first plan on raising the car in the rear, so that the rear height matches the front.
- Hotchkiss front & rear sway bars
- Fall-line adjustable front & rear sway bar end links
- alignment / corner balance at new ride hight
- rod bearings, engine mounts, and transmission mounts
- valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs

That's all I've got, for now...please bear with me while I figure out the best way to upload my images.

Last edited by 911r; 07-08-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 4
WWM3964.00
Space Fox1042.00
      06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Welcome, and enjoy the beautiful ride!
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      06-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeffer View Post
Welcome, and enjoy the beautiful ride!
Thanks! Loving it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
911r
Captain
Rep

Got my car aligned, and corner balanced today. I also got my tires road force balanced -- which killed the vibration I was experiencing at 75+mph.

My previous alignment was pretty messed up, hoping for the best with the new setup.

Road force numbers look good, besides one which is at 23lbs. Surprised how well these tires have held up.

Not bad!

Last edited by 911r; 07-08-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
911r
Captain
Rep

Parts are starting to roll in for my 100,000 mile refresh. I decided to go with MRF Engineering to install these parts, in addition to doing rod bearings and his famous solid rear subframe bushings.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...21e4709342.jpg[/img]
Hotchkis sway-bars
Bimmerworld Stainless Steel brake lines
SPL Monoball front control arm bushings
Motul RBF 600

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...abefc6ca93.jpg[/img]
Center support bearing for driveshaft
Steering wheel trim

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...15cfabec35.jpg[/img]
SPL front end links (also have rear end links in the box)

I additionally have transmission mounts, a flex disc, future classic spherical rear trailing arm bushings, future classic 5mm & 12mm spacers, and an Alpine MSS engine & transmission tune on the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Nice car and parts, looks like it’s in good hands. Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      08-15-2020, 12:31 AM   #7
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Nice car and parts, looks like it’s in good hands. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

The 5mm spacers may not leave enough hub. Measure carefully.
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      08-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I have wheel studs so it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I would've went with 12mm all around.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Quote:
I have wheel studs so it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I would've went with 12mm all around.
What's that mean? How does that reduce the risk? Also, you should very strongly consider ditching the titanium studs. Probably fine for the street but do not track the car on those.
slcook541863.00
      08-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What's that mean? How does that reduce the risk? Also, you should very strongly consider ditching the titanium studs. Probably fine for the street but do not track the car on those.
From what I understand, smaller spacer sizes aren't as much of a concern when using studs — as the wheels aren't entirely resting on the hub, they are instead resting on the studs. Therefor, spacers smaller than 12mm are OK to use.

The E92 M3 GTS for example came with 5mm spacers in the front from the factory, in order to clear it's KW Clubsports — the M3 GTS also has wheel studs.

When I start tracking the car, I will be ordering a set of MSI studs from Bret Slicer. Titanium studs aren't ideal, but for the street they should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
From what I understand, smaller spacer sizes aren't as much of a concern when using studs — as the wheels aren't entirely resting on the hub, they are instead resting on the studs. Therefor, spacers smaller than 12mm are OK to use.

The E92 M3 GTS for example came with 5mm spacers in the front from the factory, in order to clear it's KW Clubsports — the M3 GTS also has wheel studs.

When I start tracking the car, I will be ordering a set of MSI studs from Bret Slicer. Titanium studs aren't ideal, but for the street they should be fine.
There are way more qualified folks on the forum but I don't think you want to rest the wheel on the studs. The wheels are hub centric for a reason.

As mentioned above, measure carefully. The 5mm spacer is likely reducing your hub from 9mm to 4mm. If the inside of the wheel has additional chamfer you're likely resting on even less. Consider chatting with BW, Apex, or Turner.

The MSI studs are excellent! Good luck man and enjoy the new car.
      08-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #13
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are way more qualified folks on the forum but I don't think you want to rest the wheel on the studs. The wheels are hub centric for a reason.

As mentioned above, measure carefully. The 5mm spacer is likely reducing your hub from 9mm to 4mm. If the inside of the wheel has additional bevel you're likely resting on even less. Consider chatting with BW, Apex, or Turner.

Most definitely — I briefly chatted with Mike, the owner of Future Classic and he said under my circumstances I will be OK. Malek's word @ MRF is final, if he votes against it, then that's the end of the discussion and I'll be getting another set of 12mm spacers for the front. Would love to hear from someone with experience in wheel studs & 5mm spacers chime in though!

Thanks for the kind words, really enjoying the project thus far.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

What are you planning to do for your differential bushings?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      08-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
What are you planning to do for your differential bushings?
Since I daily the car I'm just going to have Malek throw (new) OEM differential bushings back in there.

Last edited by 911r; 08-22-2020 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
derbo3605.50
      08-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #16
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is not about studs, on hub centric system, you need enough hub for the wheel to sit on.

According to my measurements, a 3mm spacer still leaves about the same hub support as no spacer because it only reduce the amount of tapering the hub has for convenience.

The 5mm actually take away support. Ok for a show car, but I concluded that it won't be enough for a track car.

YMMV
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      08-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

>> as the wheels aren't entirely resting on the hub, they are instead resting on the studs.

The wheel cannot rest on the studs. The holes are bigger then the studs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As mentioned above, measure carefully. The 5mm spacer is likely reducing your hub from 9mm to 4mm. If the inside of the wheel has additional bevel you're likely resting on even less. Consider chatting with BW, Apex, or Turner.

Most definitely — I briefly chatted with Mike, the owner of Future Classic and he said under my circumstances I will be OK. Malek's word @ MRF is final, if he votes against it, then that's the end of the discussion and I'll be getting another set of 12mm spacers for the front. Would love to hear from someone with experience in wheel studs & 5mm spacers chime in though!

Thanks for the kind words, really enjoying the project thus far.
I had 5mm and after careful measuring and testing there was not actual hub left to hold them. I forget the actual number but something like 2mm. It will work, but not sure it would be safe.

Your car, your choice. Enjoy the setup and have fun at the track.
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      08-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #19
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is not about studs, on hub centric system, you need enough hub for the wheel to sit on.

According to my measurements, a 3mm spacer still leaves about the same hub support as no spacer because it only reduce the amount of tapering the hub has for convenience.

The 5mm actually take away support. Ok for a show car, but I concluded that it won't be enough for a track car.

YMMV
Very interesting, well in that case it might be prudent that I run 12mm spacers all around. I just worry about fitment issues considering I plan on running a 275/35 tire in the front.

Damn KW Clubsports! Wish they didn't have this silly fitment issue.

I wonder how BMW was able to successfully & safely use a 5mm spacer on the GTS, among other factory track prep'd cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV
Very interesting, well in that case it might be prudent that I run 12mm spacers all around. I just worry about fitment issues considering I plan on running a 275/35 tire in the front.

I wonder how BMW was able to successfully & safely use a 5mm spacer on the GTS, among other factory track prep'd cars.
They don't have to worry about fatigue?
Just replacing studs every race?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #21
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV

They don't have to worry about fatigue?
Just replacing studs every race?
Yes in the case of their actual race cars, but no in the case for the M3 GTS - which were street cars with a warrantee. Perhaps they had different hubs.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

What most likely is, that some wheels do not have heavily chamfered edges on hub allowing for more edge to grab onto the hub. It will definitely vary depending on the wheel.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0