BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Upgrade ZCP

Has anyone tried to upgrade their pre-Comp. package car at the dealer with the new software?
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Apparently the software is next to impossible to upgrade. That said, you can upgrade the hardware, which would make your car inline with the Edition and Japanese M3s. I'm in the middle of such an upgrade.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

What does this new software do? I'm interested.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Apparently the software is next to impossible to upgrade. That said, you can upgrade the hardware, which would make your car inline with the Edition and Japanese M3s. I'm in the middle of such an upgrade.
Which hardware specifically?

Seems the advanced DSC and EDC stuff would have a software component. (Springs on the other hand wouldn't seem like a bit deal, but I think the new EDC shocks/actuators might be). I don't understand how upgrading the hardware wouldn't require a software upgrade. All of that stuff connects into the bus and to the ECU....

This seems akin to replacing a CD/DVD burner on a PC--sure you can replace it, but to get it to work properly (or at full speed/capacity) you'd need new drivers. Otherwise it just kind of sits there....

Can you elaborate a bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Which hardware specifically?

Seems the advanced DSC and EDC stuff would have a software component. (Springs on the other hand wouldn't seem like a bit deal, but I think the new EDC shocks/actuators might be). I don't understand how upgrading the hardware wouldn't require a software upgrade. All of that stuff connects into the bus and to the ECU....

This seems akin to replacing a CD/DVD burner on a PC--sure you can replace it, but to get it to work properly (or at full speed/capacity) you'd need new drivers. Otherwise it just kind of sits there....

Can you elaborate a bit?
There was a thread where someone asked why the software couldn't be retrocoded, and forum member technic gave a pretty thorough explanation as to why it's not possible. Try doing a search in the suspension forum for it. ZCP software changes affect MDM mode (stability control) and EDC Sport (suspension setting). The stability change makes MDM a bit more aggressive, giving the system more leeway before engaging the traction control. The change to the EDC Sport setting makes the damper rebound rate adjustable, just like it is on Normal and Comfort -- on non-ZCP cars, the Sport setting has a static rebound rate.

As for the hardware, you'll need to change out all four springs and all four struts. The PNs for the struts are 31312283917, 31312283918, and 33522283920 (x2). You'll need to work with someone at BMW to determine the PNs for the springs, since they're different depending on the options that your car comes with. Forum member Scott@BMWHN can help you figure out those PNs.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 06-30-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
There was a thread where someone asked why the software couldn't be retrocoded, and forum member technic gave a pretty thorough explanation as to why it's not possible. Try doing a search in the suspension forum for it. ZCP software changes affect MDM mode (stability control) and EDC Sport (suspension setting). The stability change makes MDM a bit more aggressive, giving the system more leeway before engaging the traction control. The change to the EDC Sport setting makes the damper rebound rate adjustable, just like it is on Normal and Comfort -- on non-ZCP cars, the Sport setting has a static rebound rate.

As for the hardware, you'll need to change out all four springs and all four struts. The PNs for the struts are 31312283917, 31312283918, and 33522283920 (x2). You'll need to work with someone at BMW to determine the PNs for the springs, since they're different depending on the options that your car comes with. Forum member Scott@BMWHN can help you figure out those PNs.
Thanks! That's a wonderfully complete answer.

I'm totally familiar with why you can't re-code the ECU (I was part of a similar discussion on retrofiting MDM mode at one point). Your answer totally addressed the concern I had about changing the hardware w/o software support. In this case that isn't an issue as the hardware can provide improvements w/o needing new "software drivers".
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Such ZCP software will be listed in the Vehicle Order at the factory. Which means that even if you somehow replace all the parts in your non-ZCP with ZCP parts your car will not be able to be flashed with the ZCP software as ISTA/P will search in your VO for the ZCP code, and it will abort when not found.

BMW is not changing VO since at least 2008.

The only way for this to be done is for BMW to offer an OEM ZCP retrofit which will allow ISTA/P to load that ZCP software once the proper hardware is installed and checked out into a non-ZCP M3, and by the looks of what they are not doing anymore (retrofits of anything) I see this not happening at all. BMW wants you to buy a whole new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I will probably just get the springs, wheels and possibly taillights and call it done.
      07-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I'm wondering if at some point Dinan offers an electronic upgrade to the EDC to match his suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
dpohlman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 (Space Grey) ESS V1 535

Cost of the ZCP hardware upgrade

Has anyone completed a ZCP hardware upgrade in the US? I am wondering what the approximate cost looks like? (Struts, springs, wheels, LED tail lights, and anything else I might be missing). A cost break down would be fantastic!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

According to BMW, the only change to the EDC in the ZCP is that now the Sport setting is dynamic (vs. static in non-ZCP), which makes the EDC fully dynamic. And based on past comments of the BMW M chief, this means that Sport now adjust between 75% and 100% firm instead of locked up in 75% firm. Normal still goes from 50% to 100%. If anything, a re-calibration of the DSC/MDM should be there as well, but just to make sure that the Sport and spring parameter changes are still in line with the intended handling/safety requirements.

IMO, this is only useful for those that really like to track their M3 on the "cheap", i.e., no desire to change/replace their EDC suspension at all while having a slightly more responsive M3 while in Sport. Remember, the non-ZCP Normal setting can go full 100% but it will be slower in time to get there than the ZCP Sport setting.

I would guess that just a set of Eibachs on the non-ZCP EDC in Sport could be as much as 90% of what the ZCP in Sport accomplishes, without the need of any software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I wish that someone wish the same level of knowledge about automotive computer systems that the guys who jailbreak the iPhone possess with respect to that particular hardware would figure out how to hack our cars and install OEM software.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I wish that someone wish the same level of knowledge about automotive computer systems that the guys who jailbreak the iPhone possess with respect to that particular hardware would figure out how to hack our cars and install OEM software.
There are already ways of coding/programming modules individually but it is a very risky business that can break your car systems very quick.

The problem is that coding one ECU can disable another ECU if the software does not match between ECU. When you jailbreak an iPhone you are messing with the operating system, so at least you have control of everything at the highest level. So you do not have to worry about a particular program crashing under you, as long as the operating system and the fundamental features -phone, web access, Bluetooth- are still functional.

The operating system in the BMW is embedded with all the systems under it, so when you update you have to take care of what is before, after, up and down your update. As stated before, getting just the EDC code for the ZCP not only could require a change of ECU/parts in the suspension, but most probably it will require a change in the code of the DSC, the ABS, the Servotronic and even the CIC for all these ECU to talk to each other correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

I hear you on that Technic. It's a basically a small scale distributed computer system with multiple devices (CU's or control units) talking to each other over a network (the network being CAN bus if my memory is correct).

Still, it seems there should be a way to reliably deploy the code to all the necessary places. It's a complex system, but with the proper tools I think it could be done. That said, we know how notoriously cumbersome and rickety BMW's own installation process is, so perhaps the costs involved to do a custom system that accomplishes the same task would be very high.

I wonder if there are also security issues as well? For example, hacking hardware like an iPhone or XBox typically requires one circumvent the OEM encryption.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you on that Technic. It's a basically a small scale distributed computer system with multiple devices (CU's or control units) talking to each other over a network (the network being CAN bus if my memory is correct).

Still, it seems there should be a way to reliably deploy the code to all the necessary places. It's a complex system, but with the proper tools I think it could be done. That said, we know how notoriously cumbersome and rickety BMW's own installation process is, so perhaps the costs involved to do a custom system that accomplishes the same task would be very high.

I wonder if there are also security issues as well? For example, hacking hardware like an iPhone or XBox typically requires one circumvent the OEM encryption.
Such system already exist; Autologic is the most known. You can even buy harware interfaces at eBay right now and connect to BMWTIS.com to download software updates. All this is possible as Federal laws state that manufacturers have to permit access to their cars systems to independent shops for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Normal still goes from 50% to 100%.
How about 'comfort'?
By the way, where did you get this info? I've read every BMW technical document available on this car, and no mention of those parameters. Good info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Such system already exist; Autologic is the most known. You can even buy harware interfaces at eBay right now and connect to BMWTIS.com to download software updates. All this is possible as Federal laws state that manufacturers have to permit access to their cars systems to independent shops for service.
Thanks for the info. I knew about systems like Autologic, but my impression has been that installing OEM software was not possible for some reason. I had no idea one could get the code straight from BMWTIS. I am surprised we don't see more people updating their software and, for that matter, modifying it too. For certain makes of cars, there is a huge base of people doing homebrew software. For example, the EVO. My understanding is that anyone can download various open source implementations and modify them to their liking.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I knew about systems like Autologic, but my impression has been that installing OEM software was not possible for some reason. I had no idea one could get the code straight from BMWTIS. I am surprised we don't see more people updating their software and, for that matter, modifying it too. For certain makes of cars, there is a huge base of people doing homebrew software. For example, the EVO. My understanding is that anyone can download various open source implementations and modify them to their liking.
PencilGeek tried; I don't know if he actually did.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
How about 'comfort'?
By the way, where did you get this info? I've read every BMW technical document available on this car, and no mention of those parameters. Good info. Thanks.
That was somewhat in the M Division chief interview posted here a while ago. He did not mention the Comfort, but he did say that Normal gets stiffer than Sport so he recommended Normal for the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlman View Post
Has anyone completed a ZCP hardware upgrade in the US? I am wondering what the approximate cost looks like? (Struts, springs, wheels, LED tail lights, and anything else I might be missing). A cost break down would be fantastic!!
I've done it. It's not cheap, but I am very hesitant to put any non-OEM parts on a $70,000 car. If you want an individual price breakdown, feel free to send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
g2turbo
Rep
Drives: Honda

ZCP upgrade

Back from the dead.

aajami, do you mind posting the details of your ZCP upgrade? I cannot send a PM yet as I'm a m3post newb

Thanks!

drabbag@gmail.com

For anyone else interested,
I did find that EAS has done this upgrade, here is a flickr link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/europea...7624463523601/
Appreciate 0