BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

01-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Which new eastern US track should I add to my 2018 season?

I am beginning to plan my 2018 track season. Every year I will always do Road Atlanta and VIR, as I have fallen in love with both of those courses, but I also want to try out some new spots as well. This year I am going to Barber for the first time (already promised a track buddy I would make it down this season), but I was thinking about a few others too. As some of these are kind of far from me, I can realistically only pick one to add to my schedule. For anyone who has been to these tracks, can you help me figure out which one is most worth the journey? Thanks! (I am also open to suggestions not on this list, I just found events already up on motorsportsreg.com for these tracks that align with my current schedule)

AMP - done
NCM
Summit Point
Watkins Glen - done
Road America
Lime Rock
Mid-Ohio
Sebring
Pitt Race

Last edited by DreamTime; 07-01-2018 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I vote for WGI
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I vote for WGI
Cool, thanks! Hey, I remember you from m3forum - I will be back over there soon, as I am getting closer and closer to buying my E46 M3 to turn into a dedicated track car. I had a 2-year plan to get the E46, but it has turned into a "this year" plan lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
I am beginning to plan my 2018 track season. Every year I will always do Road Atlanta and VIR, as I have fallen in love with both of those courses, but I also want to try out some new spots as well. This year I am going to Barber for the first time (already promised a track buddy I would make it down this season), but I was thinking about a few others too. As some of these are kind of far from me, I can realistically only pick one to add to my schedule. For anyone who has been to these tracks, can you help me figure out which one is most worth the journey? Thanks! (I am also open to suggestions not on this list, I just found events already up on motorsportsreg.com for these tracks that align with my current schedule)

AMP (this is pretty close to me, but I heard it’s a great track)
NCM
Summit Point
Watkins Glen
Road America
Lime Rock
Mid-Ohio
Sebring
I am a memeber at AMP. It is a great track. Let me know if you wanna run. You can come as my guest.
      01-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
I am a memeber at AMP. It is a great track. Let me know if you wanna run. You can come as my guest.
That is very kind of you, thanks! I will definitely be in touch. I have heard a lot of great things about AMP, plus with it being so close... it kind of makes sense for me to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:

NCM
Summit Point
Watkins Glen
Road America
Lime Rock
Mid-Ohio
Sebring
Great list you have there. I HIGHLY recommend Mid-O but I am biased. Also, PittRace (north of Pittsburgh) is an absolute blast in its full configuration.

No matter what, you're looking at a killer 2018!
      01-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
Great list you have there. I HIGHLY recommend Mid-O but I am biased. Also, PittRace (north of Pittsburgh) is an absolute blast in its full configuration.

Thanks! One of my good friends is from Columbus and he highly recommends Mid Ohio too, he used to go there with his bike. This is such a hard choice!!

I think you're right though for sure, it will be a fun year

ps.. I will have to check out PittRace, I have not heard much about that track. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Quote:

NCM
Summit Point
Watkins Glen
Road America
Lime Rock
Mid-Ohio
Sebring

Watkins Glen is awesome, but may also want to consider Calabogie!
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! One of my good friends is from Columbus and he highly recommends Mid Ohio too, he used to go there with his bike. This is such a hard choice!!

I think you're right though for sure, it will be a fun year

ps.. I will have to check out PittRace, I have not heard much about that track. Thanks!
PittRace is formerly Beaver Run, under new ownership in last couple years and they're updating everything. New facilities (garages, showers, etc), repaved surface.

Here is a clip from last summer in my E36:
      01-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA View Post
Watkins Glen is awesome, but may also want to consider Calabogie!
Finally had a second to check out Calabogie online. That track looks amazing!! Wow, that one is for sure going on the long-term list. I had never even heard of it before, thanks! It would be a super cool trip too, as I have only been to the western part of Canada. Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
PittRace is formerly Beaver Run, under new ownership in last couple years and they're updating everything. New facilities (garages, showers, etc), repaved surface.

Here is a clip from last summer in my E36:
That looks like a fun track, really pretty scenery too. And that new repaved surface... that looks amazing!! HUGE thank you for sharing that video. I am still at work, long days this week, and watching that just put the hugest smile on my face. God, those engine + tire sounds are truly therapeutic to me lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Finally had a second to check out Calabogie online. That track looks amazing!! Wow, that one is for sure going on the long-term list. I had never even heard of it before, thanks! It would be a super cool trip too, as I have only been to the western part of Canada. Sweet!
If coming up this way I also recommend checking out Mosport.
And, if its not too far Mont Tremblant.

We make the trek to WGI every year and its definitely one of my favorites.
WGI, Mosport and Mont Tremblant are all old school type tracks and were all designed by the same person.

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 01-16-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Watkins Glen
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
If coming up this way I also recommend checking out Mosport.
And, if its not too far Mont Tremblant.

We make the trek to WGI every year and its definitely one of my favorites.
WGI, Mosport and Mont Tremblant are all old school type tracks and were all designed by the same person.

Good lord Canada throws down… jeez. I had no idea. Mosport and Mont Tremblant look amazing. I need to plan ahead and make my summer vacay next year revolve around Canadian racetracks apparently…

These videos are driving me crazy! Lol, in a good way I just miss the track I guess. It's supposed to snow here tonight, and all I can think about is getting my 2018 season underway.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Seriously though, seems like Watkins Glen is emerging as the leader. Thanks everyone for your insight, I do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I'm doing Road Atlanta end of Feb with Chin. Will be my first time there. I am really looking forward to it. Then I'll drop my car off at VIR and run with NASA mid Atlantic for the rest of season and hit WGI and LRP as well.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #17
typicaltrabes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Watkins Glen is well worth the trip. I will also say, though its really far for you, Club Motorsports was amazing last year. I only ran it for 2 days but had a hell of a time, its one of the best flowing tracks out there and some really, really fast parts to it. I also personally love Lime Rock as its very tricky to be really fast, one small mistake and your lap is done.
Appreciate 2
DreamTime863.50
leo95se126.00
      01-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Cool guy!

Quote:
That is very kind of you, thanks! I will definitely be in touch. I have heard a lot of great things about AMP, plus with it being so close... it kind of makes sense for me to check it out.
I ran AMP last year with their "Hurricane Relief Parade Laps." What I thought was going to be effectively a sight-seeing 10 minute run turned out to be a 7/10ths speed, hour-long run. Super fun track with a lot of rapid elevation change. I feel like we may have briefly discussed my trip there at our lunch after the Dragon Run? I'm just on the other (east) side of the lake from AMP, so let me know if you guys plan on making it over; I wouldn't mind heading out! It's maybe a 30 minute drive there and probably about the same to get to Road Atlanta.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      01-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #19
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I'm doing Road Atlanta end of Feb with Chin. Will be my first time there. I am really looking forward to it. Then I'll drop my car off at VIR and run with NASA mid Atlantic for the rest of season and hit WGI and LRP as well.
Nice! You will love Road Atlanta. Turn 11 makes my heart skip a beat every time... so exciting! It sounds like you have a fantastic year ahead of you. I look forward to seeing updates about your season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicaltrabes View Post
Watkins Glen is well worth the trip. I will also say, though its really far for you, Club Motorsports was amazing last year. I only ran it for 2 days but had a hell of a time, its one of the best flowing tracks out there and some really, really fast parts to it. I also personally love Lime Rock as its very tricky to be really fast, one small mistake and your lap is done.
One day, I will have gone to all of them Oh man... Club Motorsports looks stunning, that is another one I have not heard of before. My long-term list is only growing longer now, but I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Cool guy!

I ran AMP last year with their "Hurricane Relief Parade Laps." What I thought was going to be effectively a sight-seeing 10 minute run turned out to be a 7/10ths speed, hour-long run. Super fun track with a lot of rapid elevation change. I feel like we may have briefly discussed my trip there at our lunch after the Dragon Run? I'm just on the other (east) side of the lake from AMP, so let me know if you guys plan on making it over; I wouldn't mind heading out! It's maybe a 30 minute drive there and probably about the same to get to Road Atlanta.
Dude, I will definitely give you a shout before heading to AMP or Road Atlanta. I forgot how close you were, I remember you telling me now. Whenever I am in the ATL area for anything car related I will probably reach out to see if you're around, I know some great BMW people down there. It would be awesome to get the cars together again! Likewise, if you are ever in Greenville let me know!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #20
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Any one going to Road Atlanta or AMP please let me know. Would love to meet up.
      01-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #21
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

I used to ride at New Jersey Motorsport Park, two courses, pretty fast.
      01-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
I used to ride at New Jersey Motorsport Park, two courses, pretty fast.
who did you run with and which do you like better for the e9x platform? That is on my list this summer to try
Appreciate 0