BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

11-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #67
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Great thread! Love watching your progression and the Buttonwillow video was great, I like the addition of the gauges to follow along with.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #68
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
Great thread! Love watching your progression and the Buttonwillow video was great, I like the addition of the gauges to follow along with.
Thanks! It's a been a fun journey so far.

The video in my previous post is from Willow Springs. Buttonwillow is coming up up next. The data overlay is done using data from an AIM Solo DL and using RaceRender to turn the data into gauges and put it on the video.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #69
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
its crazy how smooth the DCT is...was just watching your video above from WSIR and you are switching gears mid corner with no drama and lightning fast.
Yeah I agree with you. It's quite amazing how smoothly it downshifts. But it's not the stock DCT software. I don't even know which file I have. It was put in the car by someone that said it was from the M3-GTS. That's all i know about it.

I never thought the stock DCT software downshifted quite this smoothly. With this current file, I can downshift pretty much anywhere and the car will perfectly rev match and carry on with it's day.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #70
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
its crazy how smooth the DCT is...was just watching your video above from WSIR and you are switching gears mid corner with no drama and lightning fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Yeah I agree with you. It's quite amazing how smoothly it downshifts. But it's not the stock DCT software. I don't even know which file I have. It was put in the car by someone that said it was from the M3-GTS. That's all i know about it.

I never thought the stock DCT software downshifted quite this smoothly. With this current file, I can downshift pretty much anywhere and the car will perfectly rev match and carry on with it's day.
I just had my first outing in my new-to-me DCT e92 m3 and was also amazed at the smoothness of the shifts, I was even intentionally shifting in places I normally wouldn't (coming from a 6-speed) to see how the car would behave, never unsettled, amazing. I was running mostly in S6.

OP, curious if you are running in S6 and if you've tried any other setting?
      11-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #71
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
OP, curious if you are running in S6 and if you've tried any other setting?
Historically much of my tracking has been done with Euro MDM on. It sits in S5 for that. When I go DSC off, I either do S5 or S6. Honestly I forget about S6 sometimes because I'm concentrating on other things.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #72
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Historically much of my tracking has been done with Euro MDM on. It sits in S5 for that. When I go DSC off, I either do S5 or S6. Honestly I forget about S6 sometimes because I'm concentrating on other things.
Gotcha. I actually had an issue starting out in US MDM over the weekend where every single time I pressed the brake pedal ABS was surging. At first I thought I had pad deposited my rotors and then I turned off DSC mid-session and it perfectly smoothed out brake application. From there on out I was DSC-off and S6 (via the M-button). The car did seem to wake up a bit with DSC off and there was definitely more rotation happening. I'll have to switch back and forth between S5 and S6 next time and see if I notice a difference.

Do you use Euro MDM in the wet? I am tempted to go that route in the wet to avoid the mud though I do dial it back quite a bit in the wet anyway.
      11-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #73
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I'll have to switch back and forth between S5 and S6 next time and see if I notice a difference.

Do you use Euro MDM in the wet? I am tempted to go that route in the wet to avoid the mud though I do dial it back quite a bit in the wet anyway.
My generic understanding about the different shift modes is that as you go to higher "S" numbers, the car up-shifts more aggressively and crisply---shorter duration shifts and and drops the clutch fast, really giving you a kick in the pants on shifts---especially having a blower, and on downshifts, it really chases the rev matching very aggressively on the higher numbers. It really is quite impressive.

Being in SoCal with drought conditions, in the last 4 years, I've had maybe three track days threatened by rain out of 80 days, so I just haven't had any tracking in the rain. And now with all my side windows gone, tracking in the rain doesn't sound like much fun. It's not worth it for me to turn the inside of my car into a lake with all that exposed wiring……
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #74
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Lots of speed in turn 8! Good job. Tires + Aero + Balls
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #75
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Lots of speed in turn 8! Good job. Tires + Aero + Balls
Thanks! I like your equation.

Tires: I really like the TD's. I feel secure on them. Braking grip and corner grip are solid. They don't glide/slide nicely like an R6, but they're faster than R6. I'm trying BFGoodrich R1S next week for the first time. I've heard that they're a fast tire.

Aero: I love full aero! It's new to me. Only two events with full aero so far and I've bested my previous times by several seconds at both places I've visited. That's a huge margin considering I'm usually scratching for 10ths and hundredths.

But the story is longer than that…...I wanted to drive the car without aero after the gutting and cage install. (I have always liked having the option to be able to go off-track at Buttonwillow if necessary. Front aero is not friendly to off-track excursions.) But the rear became so light, the car did not drive in a balanced way----too twitchy and edgy in the rear---you could just feel it wanting to step out. I tried to put a band-aid on it by getting a rear wing. But I didn't really commit. What that means is I bought a 67" wing large enough to be the right size for a full front-and-rear aero setup---not a wing small enough to just settle the rear a bit. Even with a mild angle of attack, the wing was still too much in wide rounders like Buttonwillow's Riverside and Big Willows Turns 2 and 9. At 75-85mph in a wide rounder, the understeer was mildly disconcerting. At 85+mph in a rounder, the steering wheel became a useless decoration. And if you reduced the angle of attack too much on the wing, then the rear of the car started feeling nervous again. So, the front splitter went on, and the car's balance has been restored. It feels GREAT. Turn-in is amazing at Willow Springs. I need to get used to that. There's actually a fair amount more speed to explore in Turn 8 and 9, which leads me to the next part of your equation---->

Balls: haha! It actually takes me some time to build up speed. My brain does not adapt to new abilities in the car quickly. It takes me time to build up trust. When the car was lightened by the gutting, my braking zones were totally messed up. In looking at my AIM Solo DL's data at Buttonwillow, now that the car is lighter, at some turns, I'm braking over 100 feet later, and I still don't have it figured out. That's a significant amount later! The AIM shows how I've slowly been adapting to braking later because the car is lighter. But it's not happening overnight. I'm sure someone else with bigger balls would have that figured out right away! Same thing with this new aero grip. Phew----it's gonna take me some time to sort out how to take advantage of this new aero grip combined with the car being lighter from the gutting. Oh yeah, and then add into the mix a new grippier tire I've never driven…..sure, I'll have that all figured out right away in my warm up lap!

Buttonwillow is next on the list. I consider that to be my home track. My best there so far is 1:54.0. The car had full stock interior and no aero. It will be fascinating to see what happens there-----no doubt a solid learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #76
jason.wu
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 AW

Curious, what model helmet do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #77
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.wu View Post
Curious, what model helmet do you have?
Nothing crazy in the helmet department. I have a Pyrotect that I bought in early 2012 as I was just entering motorsport. I just looked at it right now, but I can't find a readily available model number on it. It was in the $300's range. I've had no complaints about it. I tried several helmets at the time in the store. This one fit fine and seemed a reasonable price. As I recall, the Bell that was in the $500's was quite nice.

Anyway, now it's connected to a NecksGen neck restraint. It was pre-drilled for that and works fine with that too.

Last edited by dogbone; 11-11-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #78
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Wow, your car has come quite a ways Gabe. Looks phenomenal!
      11-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #79
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
Wow, your car has come quite a ways Gabe. Looks phenomenal!
Thanks David! Yeah I guess I haven't seen you in awhile…..

As you can see, I'm still rockin' those ARC-8's! I've got three sets with rubber ready to go on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #80
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Great looking build! Love the E90 and Interlagos combo. Great idea on the door.

How much wiring did you remove? I'm thinking about doing an E92 build. I'd love to get a non-I Drive car but that seems pretty hard to find. Looks like you kept most of the wiring.

I'd start prepping my E90 which has no I drive but I don't want to rape my Monte Carlo Blue paint at the track.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #81
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Great looking build! Love the E90 and Interlagos combo. Great idea on the door.

How much wiring did you remove? I'm thinking about doing an E92 build. I'd love to get a non-I Drive car but that seems pretty hard to find. Looks like you kept most of the wiring.

I'd start prepping my E90 which has no I drive but I don't want to rape my Monte Carlo Blue paint at the track.
Thanks! Yeah, the door bars are my favorite visual feature of the cage. They are invisible until you open the door and then, boom---there they are looking all shiny. And that NASCAR-style door bar makes getting in and out much easier.

I did not remove any wiring at all yet. When the build was first completed, I had three track days up in NorCal right away. I had heard from several people that you can be chasing wiring gremlins around for awhile when you strip wiring. I just wanted the car to work. I figured I could strip the wiring later if I needed the weight loss. Honestly, there's much less difficult places to lose weight before I worry about wiring. I still have a stock muffler and rear glass.

Before the car was a dedicated track build, I had an Xpel clear bra put on the car. It's a self-healing clear bra. It has done an amazing job keeping the car looking decent. And I have a lot of track days on it. It is starting to show some wear now, but c'mon, I'm being quite awful to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #82
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

its going to be pretty cool when you take the clear bra off and its like you have brand new paint on that car.
      11-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #83
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Thanks! It's a been a fun journey so far.

The video in my previous post is from Willow Springs. Buttonwillow is coming up up next. The data overlay is done using data from an AIM Solo DL and using RaceRender to turn the data into gauges and put it on the video.
you should do in cabin videos so you can assess driving even more!
      11-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #84
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Ok, some fun news/results from the build: I went to Buttonwillow 13CW today. I wanted to test the full aero and drive the new BFGoodrich R1S tires.

I'll skip to the results: I dropped 5 seconds off my previous best. New personal best: 1:49.02

The car feels amazing----very dialed in. The front aero has completed the build. The R1S tires felt really good. They are an impressive tire.

It was REALLY windy out there today. And the wind was definitely causing issues. My best lap came in the last session when the wind was finally dying down. In the video, you can see the afternoon sun is low and DIRECTLY in your face at times. It was still blowing but way mellower than the howling that was going on all day. I'm quite certain the lap time can drop further with the right conditions. Since I've never driven these tires, I don't know how long they stay prime, but they still felt great in the last run.

I turned traction control off today because I was just running into it too much. After 4 years, I think I've finally found the limit of Euro-MDM traction control on my car: 1:51.5. As some of you may know, I've been roundly criticized and ridiculed over the last 4 years for leaving traction control on. That's ok, I'm immune to peer pressure. I would certainly never turn MDM off because people poked fun at me. But today, with full aero and faster tires, it was just kicking in all the time. You could tell the car wanted to go faster, but MDM was holding back the power and frequently engaging the brakes on individual wheels (I can see that with the AIM Solo DL). So, I turned it off. I've been practicing with DSC-off---maybe 25% of the time, and I've spent time on a skid pad, so DSC-off is not new to me. Well, the car just popped to life and and the aero was doing it's thing and the tires were doing their thing and it was just a great day out there, regardless of the wind.

I am really enjoying this phase of the car---the cage, the lighter weight, the full aero, the R1S tires, the harnesses/neck restraint, the data, the video. It all came together today and worked incredibly well.

Here's the bumper cam:

Appreciate 3
      11-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #85
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I do, but I don't post those.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #86
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Part of your upgrades includes a HANS device right?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #87
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post
Part of your upgrades includes a HANS device right?
Yup, I have a neck restraint. But I use the NecksGen brand, not Hans. On the picture above at the far left edge, you can see the mounting point on the helmet and the red release pull string. I liked the idea of the NecksGen because it offers lateral protection as well as frontal. (I did mention the neck restraint two posts up that has the 1:49 video.)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #88
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I do, but I don't post those.
Let's see these! Just seeing that bar in the idrive section makes me want to watch it lol