BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #221
TypicalCat
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

wow.. just wow... im really surprised to see that the tree he struck is in one piece. unless im following the orange dots wrong it looks like the car struck the first tree.

in any case this is tragic and my deepest condolences goes to the family.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #222
71sbeetle
Mr VW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 71 Super Beetle 2010 Golf TDI

the car struck the first tree, split in half, the rear went across the street to the right and the front hit the second tree and caught fire just to the right of the second tree.

He was sideways and braking hard when he entered that turn lane, in the first pic after I wrote "approaching the curve" there is a "ABS style" skid mark which matches the rest, size, direction, etc, which leads me to believe that he was braking hard before getting sideways and before getting to that turn lane.

I have driven that road many times, and that turns starts very slowly and then turns sharply right, if you expect a slow right turn like all the previous turns were, you will be surprised and I see a lot of people hitting the brakes when they realize it turns much more than it looks, and that's even people going 45mph !

You didn't have to be under the influence of alcohol to miss that turn at higher speeds if you are not familiar with that road. Since he lived near and at least for part of the year I am sure he had driven that road before though.
As far as speed, I'd say the car probably hit the tree in the 70-85mph range, but he had to be going faster than that before he hit the brakes hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #223
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
the car struck the first tree, split in half, the rear went across the street to the right and the front hit the second tree and caught fire just to the right of the second tree.

He was sideways and braking hard when he entered that turn lane, in the first pic after I wrote "approaching the curve" there is a "ABS style" skid mark which matches the rest, size, direction, etc, which leads me to believe that he was braking hard before getting sideways and before getting to that turn lane.

I have driven that road many times, and that turns starts very slowly and then turns sharply right, if you expect a slow right turn like all the previous turns were, you will be surprised and I see a lot of people hitting the brakes when they realize it turns much more than it looks, and that's even people going 45mph !

You didn't have to be under the influence of alcohol to miss that turn at higher speeds if you are not familiar with that road. Since he lived near and at least for part of the year I am sure he had driven that road before though.
As far as speed, I'd say the car probably hit the tree in the 70-85mph range, but he had to be going faster than that before he hit the brakes hard.
I agree with your analysis, It also appears that the car hit the curb while sliding sideways at very high speed. At that point there was no hope of gaining control of the car and it was a short distance to the first tree and there is a good possibiity that the car was on its side when it hit the tree.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #224
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So sad... All that space and the car hit the tree at it's weakest point right in the middle... RIP
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #225
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Those EDC DCT cars can be a handful. I autocrossed one with the electronic nanny on, I didn't have a feel for it,you can pick up some crazy speeds in long sweepers and hang on like it's defying the laws of physics, then the car can just snap with no warning as if you were on slicks where my plain jane m3 with DSC,DTC(stability,traction) Off is very predictable,linear and easy to recover.

RIP Dani
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #226
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Those EDC DCT cars can be a handful. I autocrossed one with the electronic nanny on, I didn't have a feel for it,you can pick up some crazy speeds in long sweepers and hang on like it's defying the laws of physics, then the car can just snap with no warning as if you were on slicks where my plain jane m3 with DSC,DTC(stability,traction) Off is very predictable,linear and easy to recover.

RIP Dani
EDC has NOTHING to do with this? Sorry, but you lost all credibility on that one. DSC is the M3's traction control basically. Only non-M cars have DTC.

Nonetheless, DCT (transmission) and EDC (suspension) had absolutley nothing to do with this accident.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #227
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Still sad that he died , wish he would of been here telling us how he got in a bad accident and survived =( , poor guy , hate to see him go RIP
      01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #228
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
EDC has NOTHING to do with this? Sorry, but you lost all credibility on that one. DSC is the M3's traction control basically. Only non-M cars have DTC.

Nonetheless, DCT (transmission) and EDC (suspension) had absolutley nothing to do with this accident.
A non EDC M3 has a more intrusive DTC( dynamic traction control) and DSC( dynamic stability control) like a non M car.

A EDC car has such advanced dynamic traction and stability control combined with the efficiency of a DCT,you can easily find yourself in a position that's impossible to recover and less predictable where the non EDC M cAr will spin out much sooner before reaching higher speeds.
The EDC M mode in the M3 gives some a false sense of security thinking they can't get sideways with it on on dry tarmac.
(Droid)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #229
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
A non EDC M3 has a more intrusive DTC( dynamic traction control) and DSC( dynamic stability control) like a non M car.

A EDC car has such advanced dynamic traction and stability control combined with the efficiency of a DCT,you can easily find yourself in a position that's impossible to recover and less predictable where the non EDC M cAr will spin out much sooner before reaching higher speeds.
The EDC M mode in the M3 gives some a false sense of security thinking they can't get sideways with it on on dry tarmac.
(Droid)
never heard there was any link between EDC and DSC
i think you mean m mode
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #230
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
He was most likely killed FIRST because of deccelaration where heart, brain, internal organs slam the chest cavity and body's outer muscle walls.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #231
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
He was most likely killed FIRST because of deccelaration where heart, brain, internal organs slam the chest cavity and body's outer muscle walls.
I agree with this. The G forces must have been massive at the point of impact. Given that the car decelerated to rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #232
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
never heard there was any link between EDC and DSC
i think you mean m mode
M mode is a more advanced Dynamic Stability Control and Dynamic Traction Control it controls traction plus yaw sability...
On a non EDC M3 and regular 3 series a more intrusive DCT AND DSC Are on by default.

A single press of the DTC button on a non EDC M3 turns off DTC. This allows wheelspin but keeps Dynamic Stability Control activel. If you press and hold the button longer, both systems are deactivated.

IMO M mode (DTC AND DSC) OFF makes you a better driver,you get a good feel for the limits.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #233
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Everyone is quick to pass judgement. Maybe he hadn't had a thing to drink. Maybe, just maybe he suffered a heart attact, an embolism broke or his appendix ruptured causing him to lose control or the car. We really have no idea. My sincere condolensces.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #234
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

RIP my man. Peace with you and your family.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #235
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

caught on fire? how come? I thought our cars have a fuel cut off feature when you get into an accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #236
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
caught on fire? how come? I thought our cars have a fuel cut off feature when you get into an accident.
Yeh, it can't really do much for you when the car is split in two. Something must of sparked and caught on fire.
      01-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #237
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
I doubt he was inside when it caught fire.
wasn't he thrown from the car?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #238
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:

(Droid)
I must partially agree with this one... DSC can be helpfull, but can also be a false sense of security... I have experienced both cases,-

DSC ON- car stays in control then suddenly acts crazy at higher speed... wet surface

DSC OFF- car starts spinning out of control early... wet surface MDM mode

every situation is different,- I woud not to find myself in a situation of entering corner @ 80+ MPH loosing control in MDM ON or DSC OFF...

RIP

Last edited by dimabimmer; 01-27-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #239
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Everyone is quick to pass judgement. Maybe he hadn't had a thing to drink. Maybe, just maybe he suffered a heart attact, an embolism broke or his appendix ruptured causing him to lose control or the car. We really have no idea. My sincere condolensces.
The investigators down there said alcohol and speed played a role in the accident. It happened at 3:30 am shortly after leaving a bar,the victim had alcohol in his system and you're thinking maybe he didn't have a thing to drink.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #240
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

This is definitely a seriously reality check to us all. I'm certain at one time or another in any of our driving careers we have all sped down a road... even one we were familiar with... and looked down or looked to change the music playing... only to look up and have to make a split second adjustment that could have otherwise landed us in a wreck. add alcohol in the mix and as great of a driver as one may be you can land up in a bad spot.

my thoughts and prayers go to this family as I know first hand how tough it is to lose someone to an unexpected accident like this.

stay safe forum fam!
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #241
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
Looking at the pictures of the scene - I wonder if he was intentionally trying to drift?
+1
I don't think it was intentional tho,it looks as if he didn't even touched the brakes. These skid marks imo are consistent with a high speed turn with no braking,I think He came in wide,hit the curb mid turn so abruptly causing him to get ejected even with his seat belt on and the car getting airborne into the tree,thats why the grass around the tree in the median doesn't seem disturbed. ABS panic braking is usually followed by intermittent light and dark skid marks.

Another one We should be aware of, is the risks of Texting and Driving,I've seen people surfing the net on their smart phones while going down the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #242
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

+1 WTH?

However, I don't think he meant it to come out that way...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread