BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
killerfox
Rep
Drives: m3

seafoam E93 M3

looking to seafoam my 2008 M3, anyone know what vaccum line to use? I know not to use any attached to the air pump. pictures would be very helpfull. thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

What is seafoam?.... I have an E93 also
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Black Stallon
Quemando Carretera
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Seafoam is a product originally used for boats that made its way too cars. Its sold at autozone and other general stores. The product has pretty positive reviews accross all automakers. I used to use it in my previos cars but not yet on the M.
      05-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

The only seafoam product I've seen remotely like this is a fuel additive that you simply pour in the tank. Is this something different?
      05-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
killerfox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
The only seafoam product I've seen remotely like this is a fuel additive that you simply pour in the tank. Is this something different?
seafoam goes in 3 places, 1/3rd bottle in gas tank, 1/3rd in oil, and 1/3rd in vaccum line to clean out carbon buildup in valves. I don't recommend putting it in the oil unless your doing an oil change in the next 100 miles.

Regular fuel injection cleaner doen't work on our cars because they are direct injection, by letting a vaccum line suck some into the engine you can clean the carbon build up from the valves. I've seen posts that the dealers offer a service to do the same thing but it costs about $250 as seafoam is only $8. You only want to suck in a very small about at a time or you could hydro lock your motor. By very small I mean count to 2 and then stop, let the car idle for a second and then add more, repeat until 1/3 to 1/2 bottle used.

The M3 uses an air pump and you should not use a vaccum line going to it, so I'm just trying to figure out what line to use.

I have done this on my MINI Cooper with great results, much smoother idle, restored power, smoother accelleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
killerfox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
What is seafoam?.... I have an E93 also
Here is info on the product from the manufacture web site. Not sure it is available in the UK but there are similar broduct such as BG44 or MOTUL's Ventil Sauber.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerfox View Post
Regular fuel injection cleaner doen't work on our cars because they are direct injection
M3s are NOT direct injected . And that's a good thing in my book . It'll eventually get perfected, but didn't want to be the guinea pig, like many 335 and Porsche owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
killerfox
Rep

I'm sorry, I thought it was a DI motor. I guess the good thing is no carbon buildup issue, that's good to know. I guess a little cleaner in the gas tank will do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

If it was DI, we'd be making close to 450HP from BMW with 15% better gas mileage!!
I'd be willing to run some Seafoam every 20k miles for that.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
If it was DI, we'd be making close to 450HP from BMW with 15% better gas mileage!!
You wish man; not without a bump in displacement. DI doesn't mean more power just by itself. At 12% compression and semi-aggressive timing, there's not much left on this engine if you want the same reliability. The new GT3 doesn't have DI and it's pretty much maxed out on street trim too (again, if you want to keep same reliability).

All engines will eventually get there, just like it happened with fuel injecton, but I prefer to have less power/fuel economy/problems and better long-term reliability (40 vs 1,200 psi is a BIG difference). Carbon build-up is another problem that will require redesigning the combustion chamber until perfected. Take care.
Appreciate 0