BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
OEM Angel Eyes Question

I recently purchased a 2013 e92 M3 coupe, which is the LCI model, but it appears the model is a "base" model (no power seats, no camera, no backup sensors, but it does have navigation). I had a 2011 LCI 335is, which did have power seats, etc., so I know that the M3 must have just had no packages checked, or minimal options when it was purchased/specced by the original owner.

The angel eyes on the M3 are the "yellow" (dull) color, while I've seen other stock M3s with the bright/white angel eyes (and my 335is had those).

I am wondering if the LCI M3 had those upgraded angel eyes offered as a package/option, and if it would be possible to retrofit them on the "base" model without issue.

Thanks for any advice here!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I recently purchased a 2013 e92 M3 coupe, which is the LCI model, but it appears the model is a "base" model (no power seats, no camera, no backup sensors, but it does have navigation). I had a 2011 LCI 335is, which did have power seats, etc., so I know that the M3 must have just had no packages checked, or minimal options when it was purchased/specced by the original owner.

The angel eyes on the M3 are the "yellow" (dull) color, while I've seen other stock M3s with the bright/white angel eyes (and my 335is had those).

I am wondering if the LCI M3 had those upgraded angel eyes offered as a package/option, and if it would be possible to retrofit them on the "base" model without issue.

Thanks for any advice here!
They all look like that. You need to upgrade the halo of the HID unit which is the "halo" part which were aftermarket.

H8 lux or any other brands do just that, fairly cheap.

-Duke
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00
      01-18-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
They all look like that. You need to upgrade the halo of the HID unit which is the "halo" part which were aftermarket.

H8 lux or any other brands do just that, fairly cheap.

-Duke
Thank you!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Thank you!
LUX bulbs or something similar will most definitely not replicate what you had on your 335is. They'll change the color from OEM yellow to white, but the light distribution is pretty terrible. It will look ok from straight on, but from angles the outer halo will appear dim, it's just a byproduct of the headlight unit/halo design. Check out this link:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...63&postcount=4

Unfortunately the E9x M3s never got an updated headlight/angel eye design, even with the LCI, whereas the E92/E93 non-M cars like your 335is got the OEM LED angel eyes which looked really good in comparison to the M3's setup.

The only way to truly replicate what you had is going will a full retrofit. Companies like OSS Designs, Bayoptiks, & OneEighty offer these services, but it's spendy. There's also some DIY kits out there too.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00
      01-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
LUX bulbs or something similar will most definitely not replicate what you had on your 335is. They'll change the color from OEM yellow to white, but the light distribution is pretty terrible. It will look ok from straight on, but from angles the outer halo will appear dim, it's just a byproduct of the headlight unit/halo design. Check out this link:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...63&postcount=4

Unfortunately the E9x M3s never got an updated headlight/angel eye design, even with the LCI, whereas the E92/E93 non-M cars like your 335is got the OEM LED angel eyes which looked really good in comparison to the M3's setup.

The only way to truly replicate what you had is going will a full retrofit. Companies like OSS Designs, Bayoptiks, & OneEighty offer these services, but it's spendy. There's also some DIY kits out there too.
Thank you very much! I had assumed the M cars also got the LCI lights. As they did not, I’ll probably leave as is. They still look good!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 11:06 PM   #6
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

I wondered the same thing when I switched to this platform as well. I got the LUX angel eye bulbs. Relatively affordable (some debate this), easy to install, and work as intended, and look great. In retrospect, I wish I stayed with the stock amber and just cleaned the lenses. Something very iconic, classy, and period correct with the amber bulbs--maybe I'll get around to getting oem bulbs soon.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144441.00