BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Need help with Evolve-R cable

To start with, I joined the recent groupbuy from Evolve for their ECU tune and GTS software.

I received the cable last Friday and wanted to do the GTS software first, so I followed the instructions that were given by Evolve, I installed the program (called XDEVICE Tool Kit) with my evolve-R cable attached on my laptop, opened up the program and clicked the refresh button, according to Evolve's instruction, the cable is supposed be in a list in this program, but it's not. I tried using different USB port but doesn't work, the green light on the cable's blinking when it's attached to my laptop but the program is not detecting the cable somehow.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm using windows 10.

By the way, I tried to contact Evolve, called their US line 2 times but no response; posted 2 tickets on their customer support site but no response; left them a couple PM but no response; sent them an email and finally got a response, but the response they gave me is to try different USB port
      11-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding View Post
To start with, I joined the recent groupbuy from Evolve for their ECU tune and GTS software.

I received the cable last Friday and wanted to do the GTS software first, so I followed the instructions that were given by Evolve, I installed the program (called XDEVICE Tool Kit) with my evolve-R cable attached on my laptop, opened up the program and clicked the refresh button, according to Evolve's instruction, the cable is supposed be in a list in this program, but it's not. I tried using different USB port but doesn't work, the green light on the cable's blinking when it's attached to my laptop but the program is not detecting the cable somehow.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm using windows 10.

By the way, I tried to contact Evolve, called their US line 2 times but no response; posted 2 tickets on their customer support site but no response; left them a couple PM but no response; sent them an email and finally got a response, but the response they gave me is to try different USB port

The gts software was a pain. Did you do the step where they send you a code and you register the cable on x device. If you are u.s I usually contact mateen at evolve in the early morning, around afternoon in U.K. And I get responses immediately.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post

The gts software was a pain. Did you do the step where they send you a code and you register the cable on x device. If you are u.s I usually contact mateen at evolve in the early morning, around afternoon in U.K. And I get responses immediately.
I already got the codes, but the Xdevice isn't detecting the cable so I can't upload the code to the cable...
      11-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
AlexElec
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Windows 8 and above you need driver signature enforcement turned off . I had a problem with Windows 7 not detecting USB port , I have a hp , because of updates on my laptop l had to go to hp trouble shooting ,but that was my fault . I did the tune and later the dct . The tune and dct upgrade work great . I emailed Mateen @ evolve with any questions . The difference in time is the the only problem with getting in touch with them . I hope this will help .
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexElec View Post
Windows 8 and above you need driver signature enforcement turned off . I had a problem with Windows 7 not detecting USB port , I have a hp , because of updates on my laptop l had to go to hp trouble shooting ,but that was my fault . I did the tune and later the dct . The tune and dct upgrade work great . I emailed Mateen @ evolve with any questions . The difference in time is the the only problem with getting in touch with them . I hope this will help .
I will try that tomorrow, will hope it works lol
      11-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
AlexElec
Rep

Computers are great , only when they are working !! Let me know how it works out .
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Took me almost a month to get the DCT tune from Evolve but they came through. I echo the same as others. Mateen was super helpful and responsive along the way.

Sorry for threadjack but did Evolve update anyone to 240E software prior to uploading the tune? I was told that my software (231E) was the latest version and that Mateen hadn't heard of 240E.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
Took me almost a month to get the DCT tune from Evolve but they came through. I echo the same as others. Mateen was super helpful and responsive along the way.

Sorry for threadjack but did Evolve update anyone to 240E software prior to uploading the tune? I was told that my software (231E) was the latest version and that Mateen hadn't heard of 240E.
Took you a month? That's crazy...
      11-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3; 2012 E88 135i

I had a similar issue where the tune program would not recognise the cable. I also tried different USB ports but didn't work.
At the end I found out this was my computer issue. There was no driver installed that would recognise the cable. I downloaded all software/driver updates from Microsoft (Windows 7)....restarted my computer and after the windows download/install/update and then it worked.

Also, once you install the Evolve-R tune, you won't notice a dramatic power-up for about the first few drives...as I'm told the ecu needs some time to adapt to the new parameters. But once the ecu adapts, you'll notice passed 5000rpm, the car will pull like a bat out of hell!

I had the Stage 2 tune done with test pipes. All others stock.
Also as I'm in Australia, I dealt directly with Imran at Evolve-UK. Customer service was fantastic and got my Evolve-R cable in less than a week.

Last edited by Josparky; 11-03-2016 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparky View Post
I had a similar issue where the tune program would not recognise the cable. I also tried different USB ports but didn't work.
At the end I found out this was my computer issue. There was no driver installed that would recognise the cable. I downloaded all software/driver updates from Microsoft (Windows 7)....restarted my computer and after the windows download/install/update and then it worked.

Also, once you install the Evolve-R tune, you won't notice a dramatic power-up for about the first few drives...as I'm told the ecu needs some time to adapt to the new parameters. But once the ecu adapts, you'll notice passed 5000rpm, the car will pull like a bat out of hell!

I had the Stage 2 tune done with test pipes. All others stock.
Also as I'm in Australia, I dealt directly with Imran at Evolve-UK. Customer service was fantastic and got my Evolve-R cable in less than a week.
I appreciate the input
      11-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Sorry about the issues. I was in the middle of emailing you back. I can assist you later today by remote logging in and taking care of it for you. Let me know with a response to my email (Being sick and the Cubs winning the world series.. my bad)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
Sorry about the issues. I was in the middle of emailing you back. I can assist you later today by remote logging in and taking care of it for you. Let me know with a response to my email (Being sick and the Cubs winning the world series.. my bad)
pm'ed you
      11-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mark contacted me today and he was really patient with me, he did a remote control on my computer, turned off that enforcement drive and the software was able to detect the cable right after. But we encountered another issue which Mark also provided a potential answer later today, a friend of mine is coming over this weekend to help me sort this out (or hopefully sort it out lol)

And I'm getting a charger for my car to do the tunes as it's strongly recommended by Mark. Hopefully everything will work out this weekend.
      11-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got my ECU tune done today and everything went pretty smooth, but I'm still having trouble with the GTS software
      11-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
AlexElec
Rep

What step of dct upgrade is giving you trouble ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexElec View Post
What step of dct upgrade is giving you trouble ?
I was at where you need to click the "update license" button in license tap, but there's no button so I can't copy the codes into the software called XDEVICE.

Mark told me that if I do a diagnosis in the evolve-r software the cable will be vin locked, then it will work but it's still not working for me after doing a diagnosis.
      11-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was at where you need to click the "update license" button in license tap, but there's no button so I can't copy the codes into the software called XDEVICE.

Mark told me that if I do a diagnosis in the evolve-r software the cable will be vin locked, then it will work but it's still not working for me after doing a diagnosis.
sending you an email back. Let's setup a time for me to remote and install it for you.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #18
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
Quote:

sending you an email back. Let's setup a time for me to remote and install it for you.

Mark
Sent you an email
      11-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Sent you an email
Let us know how the install goes, and how you like the SW thereafter. I am thinking of doing the tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Let us know how the install goes, and how you like the SW thereafter. I am thinking of doing the tune as well.
Mark just did the installation for my DCT software using remote control. I just drove it for like 2-3 mins, the car runs a lot smoother. Mark suggested me to launch the car, but it's raining right now will try later when the conditions are good
      11-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Overall experience, the ECU tune is pretty easy for me but the GTS software took me some time. Mark has been super helpful and patient with me during the whole process, thumbs up for Mark at Evolve.
      11-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #22
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mark just did the installation for my DCT software using remote control. I just drove it for like 2-3 mins, the car runs a lot smoother. Mark suggested me to launch the car, but it's raining right now will try later when the conditions are good
EVEN BETTER! Do it in the rain! haha
I am sorry it took a bit to get this sorted for you and apologize for any inconveniences that this had on you and your time. I am glad I was able to get it sorted and happy you are happy!
Appreciate 1