BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

AWD M3...Da Fuq..?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Just wait till the successor to the F80 M3 is awd and get that.

Other options is to get an xDrive 550i and do a software tune. Because of the awd it actually does a much faster 1/4 than the same year M5.

Or wait till the M5 comes out as awd which is the next plan anyhow for BMW since all their M cars are making too much power to remain rwd.

I guess if you really really wanted, then see about swapping the drivetrain from the 550i into the M3... but the next M3 is gonna be awd anyway by the time you are done and be cheaper in the long run as well.

A wild idea would be to just run in hub electric motors to each front wheel and put a battery under the back seat that charges off the driveshaft (it'll also regen when you down shift)... you'd have to sort out the software and control for it to function seamlessly. But with two separate motors up front the software can function like a virtual LSD for the front as well
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3

Other options is to get an xDrive 550i and do a software tune. Because of the awd it actually does a much faster 1/4 than the same year M5.

Or wait till the M5 comes out as awd which is the next plan anyhow for BMW since all their M cars are making too much power to remain rwd.

I guess if you really really wanted, then see about swapping the drivetrain from the 550i into the M3... but the next M3 is gonna be awd anyway by the time you are done and be cheaper in the long run as well.

A wild idea would be to just run in hub electric motors to each front wheel and put a battery under the back seat that charges off the driveshaft (it'll also regen when you down shift)... you'd have to sort out the software and control for it to function seamlessly. But with two separate motors up front the software can function like a virtual LSD for the front as well
Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it. The reason I asked is because I see a lot of amg cars are becoming AWD instead of RWD.

I knew i was gonna get flamed on, lol
      02-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #26
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3

Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it. The reason I asked is because I see a lot of amg cars are becoming AWD instead of RWD.

I knew i was gonna get flamed on, lol
Well same thing is gonna happen with the M cars too... I wouldn't be surprised if it will end up being some kind of awd electric hybrid setup as well for the M. ( look at the highest performing supercars... A lot are awd with electric hybrid powertrains)

So just keep your M3 the way it is cause they aren't ever going to be analogue like that anymore. And save the mod money for the next gen M's.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #27
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Bmw has just released a nice 3 series plug in hybrid. My guess is - this will be the platform for the next M3. The engineers will use the instant response of electric power to mask any lag issue with ICE. It will be a better faster more efficient package.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Dry sump but leave the engine where it is, custom diff mount, xi transfer case should work on the getrag box in the car now just needs a different tail; new front uprights and axles...doable I think. Terrible idea but the parts and pieces are mostly out there. Front diff mounting and probably driver's side header/down pipe would be the only place there isn't an OEM or aftermarket off the shelf solution.
Appreciate 0