BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #23
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
aren't you guys afraid that by using these poly bushings, you are limiting the exhaust movement to much and end up with other parts breaking like the manifold studs or the manifold itself?
These Powerflex bushes are only used at the rear muffler section, not the front. So the front isn't affected. It does reduce a lot of movement in the muffler section tho. Which brings me to my update.

Noise - There is no additional noise during driving. However, there is an intermittent faint split second (maybe 0.5s?) buzz when the engine is transitioning from very low rpms to idle. It seems to be random and I can't replicate it, but it was not there before this mod.

Vibration - There is definitely more vibration from the exhaust, felt thru the seats. Its not very bad, I liken it to putting your finger on your wrist to feel for your pulse. It's faint but it's definitely there. I will probably get used to it cos I do enjoy a more feelsome car, but if you want ultimate comfort then this may not be for you. Do note that I have zero cats or resonators, so you may notice less vibrations with a stock exhaust.

Harshness - No harshness to speak of.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Having used these Powerflex exhaust hangers for a couple months now, I definitely do feel more vibration thru the whole car at idle. Don't think I will recommend this for a street car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #25
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Having used these Powerflex exhaust hangers for a couple months now, I definitely do feel more vibration thru the whole car at idle. Don't think I will recommend this for a street car.
Thanks for the update. Sticking with OEM equivalent.
      01-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #26
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Thanks for the update. Sticking with OEM equivalent.
Yeah if you find anything that looks OE-like but tougher/stronger, do let me know also.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #27
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Yeah if you find anything that looks OE-like but tougher/stronger, do let me know also.
I went with the HJS hangers for $15 x 2 that weigh just over 10.3 ounces. With the weight the akrapovic exhaust, I could probably get away with a shoelace. Here are a few pics and the part number.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-06-2021 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:40 AM   #28
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update to the update. The vibrations turned out to be a dead VT engine mount. Got that replaced with Powerflex engine mounts and all good now. No noticeable vibration or buzzing from the car, be it exhaust or engine mounts. I can definitely recommend the Powerflex exhaust mounts.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #29
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
aren't you guys afraid that by using these poly bushings, you are limiting the exhaust movement to much and end up with other parts breaking like the manifold studs or the manifold itself?
the exhaust still moves at wot, it really just limits the up and down movement of the exhaust.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0