BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
destive
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 coupe

Misfire after fuel fill-up

Hello,

I have a 2009 M3 with 136000 miles. The car has been running great until recently the last 2 fuel fill-ups. I used 93 octane fuel.

Right after fill-up, when I turn on the engine, it starts normally but within a few seconds it starts running rough and goes into limp mode. I immediately turn the engine off and restart. Upon restart, it runs fine with no issues. I drove a few hundred miles with no issue until the next fuel fill-up. Once again, right after the fill it misfires. The misfires go away as soon as I restart the engine.

Here are codes that it threw out:
Fault Code: 00275D
Fault Explanation: Lambda control stop error Bank 1
Fault Code: 00275E
Fault Explanation: Lambda control stop error Bank 2
Fault Code: 002B36
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 2
Fault Code: 002B37
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 3
Fault Code: 002B38
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 4
Fault Code: 002B39
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 5
Fault Code: 002B3A
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 6
Fault Code: 002B3B
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 7
Fault Code: 002B3C
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 8th
Fault Code: 002B41
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown more cylinders
Fault Code: 002B57
Fault Explanation: Engine emergency program activated
Fault Code: 002796
Fault Explanation: Engine emergency program activated
Fault Code: 002B35
Fault Explanation: Misfiring with shutdown Zyl. 1
Fault Code: 002B43
Fault Explanation: Misfiring abgasverschlechternd Zyl. 2
Fault Code: 002B44
Fault Explanation: Misfiring abgasverschlechternd Zyl. 3

I have recently replaced spark plugs. It looks unlikely to be coils since all 8 cylinders are misfiring and only in a specific circumstance.

I ran the diagnostic functions in ISTA-D to check for O2 sensors and fuel system.
Here's the output from the O2 sensors:

Quote:
Diagnosis results, catalytic converter:
Diagnosis value, overall: 0.0
Diagnosis value, cylinder bank 1: 0.3
Diagnosis value, cylinder bank 2: 0.3
Setpoint:*Diagnosis value < 0.9
Note: For diagnosis values greater than 2, it is suspected that a catalytic converter could be mechanically damaged or empty.

Diagnosis results, oxygen sensors before catalytic converter:
Diagnosis value, cylinder bank 1: 0.7
Diagnosis value, cylinder bank 2: 0.8

Setpoint:*Diagnosis value* > 0.3
When I ran the fuel system diagnostics, it came back with
Quote:
The sytem test has found a fault. The fault could not be clearly identified
So it looks like there is an issue with the fuel system. I'm not sure what I should start with: Fuel pressure sensor, Idle control valve, fuel pump?

Any idea what could be causing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I would start with your fuel breather valve. It's about $80 and easy to replace. It's known to cause rough idle and stalling after a fill-up. I've never head of it causing misfire codes though. But it's a good cheap place to start.
Appreciate 1
Mvy539.50
      10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

+1 on the fuel breather but if you have not replaced coils in a while it seems like it could also be a possibility. Did this literally start immediately after the spark plug install? The fill up timing might not be related then.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

fill up timing might just be a crazy coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
destive
Rep

The spark plugs were replaced around 5k miles ago. It is unlikely that the fuel fill up is coincidence. This happened after my last 2 fuel-ups, probably linked to anytime I open my gas cap.
I'll have the fuel breather replaced and report if it fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Over the last few days, I have had something similar happen, except no limp mode or check engine light.. once after fuel up (93 oct) and again at stop lights multiple times on other separate trips. It idles around 550 very stable, but every now and then, it drops slightly below 475, engine revs/struggles a little, then back up to 550. It doesn't sound like much, but I have this feeling like it's closer to a stall than it should be. Since its nice outside here in NC, all of these times have been while running zero AC or heat, while in auto/drive but at a stop light (DCT 2009 with 97K miles).

I have an appointment for new spark plugs next week ($485 installed)... I hope this is the issue, but I can't help but keep being super paranoid something is about to go out and I'd much rather put money towards RB, paint correction, ceramic coating, etc than have some random part set me back a ton.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Clear the codes and run the car again. This (or something very similiar) happened to me back in September with those codes. Cleared it and a different set of codes came up, cleared again until the consistent code that was popping was the map sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

The tank pressurization routine (DMTL) is only run when the DME senses a "tank filled" condition. I forget the requirements off hand, but something like greather than a 1/4 increase in combined left/right tank volume.

If the tank vent valve is stuck, this is what happens:

DME triggers tank leak check -> DMTL starts pressurizing the tank and monitors pump motor current. If the tank vent valve is leaking, then the engine receives air that is not metered (the DME doesn't account for it since it didn't command the tank vent to open) and the cylinders lean out faster than the closed loop fuel trim can compensate for and can lead to an engine stall.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
destive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
The tank pressurization routine (DMTL) is only run when the DME senses a "tank filled" condition. I forget the requirements off hand, but something like greather than a 1/4 increase in combined left/right tank volume.

If the tank vent valve is stuck, this is what happens:

DME triggers tank leak check -> DMTL starts pressurizing the tank and monitors pump motor current. If the tank vent valve is leaking, then the engine receives air that is not metered (the DME doesn't account for it since it didn't command the tank vent to open) and the cylinders lean out faster than the closed loop fuel trim can compensate for and can lead to an engine stall.
I was not aware of that. I got the car back from my mechanic. He did a smoke test at the fuel system and found the fault with the vent valve. He has replaced that. I'll need to check in my next fuel-up to see if that fixes the problem.

Update: I filled up my tank yesterday night and there was no misfire. The fuel tank vent valve seems to be the fix.

Last edited by destive; 10-26-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0