BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #67
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Here is an old vid of Chris Harris lapping the GT3, GTR and E92 M3.

>...

Amazing that the GTR has been out 10 years. And man that GT3 sounds so good.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-for-tea/37912
Its funny how his brake pedal goes limp exactly like mine did when the brakes were stock

A 997.2 GT3 in decent shape is an incredibly fun car. If I felt like risking a $110k car on the track 10 times a year while driving 10/10ths, I'd own one. The M3 is 1/3 the liability.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #68
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
This has come up before here. The 911 seems to be a logical next step for an enthusiast, kind of like many us of here previously owned a WRX.

Here’s the deal. 911’s don’t impress on test drives. They just don’t. It took me a couple of months to love my 997. The rear engine makes you nervous to push and find the limits of the car, because you’re never quite sure the point at which the dynamics will cause the car to bite back. There’s also a lightness to the steering feel, especially when accelerating out of a corner which can be unnerving.

This post is a lot of red flags, IMO.

If you don't love the car after driving it, why are you buying it? For an enthusiast, it should be pretty obvious if the car excites you or not. This doesn't seem like the kind of thing I should have to talk myself into. Also, I shouldn't feel nervous to push the car. Shouldn't it instill confidence and have approachable performance? This is the inherent issue with RR vehicles -- they are tricky to drive at the limit.

Every car I've owned has left me with a smile at the end of the test drive.

Last edited by dparm; 04-26-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #69
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

My e90 m3 left me questioning what the big deal was in 2008. I knew what the critics were saying and believed them it would be an amazing vehicle for the time and went ahead. Partially related to abbreviated test and never getting to rip on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #70
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
If you don't love the car after driving it, why are you buying it? For an enthusiast, it should be pretty obvious if the car excites you or not.
I tend to follow this approach. It's one thing if I'm buying an everyday sedan, SUV, or truck where I can immediately use the practicality, but grow to like the driving experience. But we're talking a 911 here! This should be, IMO anyway, the epitome of an awesome driving experience. And in the old days, I suspect they were for the time. And in those days there weren't a lot of different sub-models. The basic 911 had to deliver an engaging experience.

These days it's a different world. The 911 is designed to offer a very versatile driving experience. The basic carrera while a capable car, is designed really more for the guy/gal with some money who wants a "Porsh" for the badging and not for the driving experience. The level of driving involvement/engagement goes up from there. I drove a 997 base and S before I got the M3. It didn't wow me at all. Nice car and if I pushed it hard, I suppose I could have loved it. But to me, the best street performance cars are those with an edge. The e92 I own doesn't have a lot of edge either, to be honest. But it's perfect for what the car is--between a hot hatch/pony car and more exotic options. I thought the experience in the M was more befitting of my expectations. When I think of what BMW does really well, it's balancing comfort and performance. The e9x M3 does this masterfully. When I think of a 911 (in particular)---I think of ultimate driver engagement and feel. I did not get that sense in the 997.

I'd love to move to a Porsche from my M, but it likely will be some sort of C6 or C7 vette.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #71
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Partially related to abbreviated test and never getting to rip on it.
This is a big problem for these cars, actually. Dealers expect to sell them on reputation alone. No test drives or you can just go around the block.

I don't need to drive it for a week to make the decision, but let me at least get the car out on the road for more than 5 minutes and give me the leeway to beat on it a bit. This is why I typically went and found used versions since they weren't worried about break-in miles or whatever.