BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

HydroSilex Recharge a Game Changer? Will your Last Step Ever Be the Same?

HydroSilex Recharge

Click here for your chance to Win a Bottle of HydroSilex Recharge

We received the HydroSilex Recharge a little while ago and all I can say is it's incredible! If you are looking for a super easy and quick way to get your car protected this is what I feel is the best way to do it.

It's hard to compare this to anything out there because it's so versatile. It's a hybrid of sorts, it's as easy to use as a detail spray but has the traits and strengths of products like Reload, Brilliant Shine, Polymer Net Shield, Cure, Wet Coat, Wash Coat, SiFinish, and many others. What's funny is where most other manufacturers have two products or even three, HydroSilex Recharge has condensed the two or three into 1 product! The HydroSilex Recharge will save you time and provide results.

Now if you love waxing your car or pulling out your orbital polisher to lay down your favorite sealant or wax, this is not the product for you.

Where we see this product:
  • Early adopter - diy guy - that loves everything about a coating but doesn't want the fuss of the potential risks involved of a coating.
  • diy or pro that wants to take some time off his routine maintenance
  • for pros - an easy, efficient, effective way to protect customers' cars

What the manufacturer says:

HydroSilex is the first “professional” coating that doesn’t need a professional to do the install. The simplicity of the installation makes HydroSilex into the perfect coating for the DIY.

Once applied HydroSilex cures into a durable transparent ceramic layer on top of the substrate. The new top layer adds shine and protects the substrate from getting in contact with contaminants, UV, minor scratches and other harmful chemicals.

HYDROSILEX Recharge - As a maintanence Spray
Ceramic coatings will not perform as promised unless they are cared for. HydroSilex is the perfect product for your already installed proffesional coating.

Let's get all the questions out of the way, these were some of the questions th came to mind when we were testing the product out.......

IS THIS THE SAME AS AN ACTUAL COATING?

Recharge is engineered to be used as both a maintenance coating for traditional coated surfaces or as a stand-alone protection. It works with any coating brand to help maintain gloss, self-cleaning, UV protection and slick surface feel. As a stand-alone, it also provides those features.

WHAT DOES HYDROSILEX RECHARGE PROTECT AGAINST?
HydroSilex Recharge creates an extremely slick surface which serves as a repellent from environmental contaminants, while providing UV protection against fading.

IS HYDROSILEX RECHARGE RESISTANT TO SCRATCHES?
HydroSilex Recharge is a ceramic-based coating, it is not designed to resist scratches like a conventional glass coating.

WHAT CAN IT BE USED ON?
HydroSilex Recharge can be used on virtually any surface. It can be applied to bare metal, stainless steel, aluminum, glass, plastic, wood, fiberglass, stone, marble tiles, automotive paint, gel coats and more.

HOW IS IT APPLIED?
HydroSilex Recharge is extremely easy to use! It's as easy as spray on and wipe/rinse off. Unlike other maintenance coatings that only have one method of application. HydroSilex Recharge can be applied numerous ways. It can be applied using both wet and dry methods. Refer to our "How to Install" section for instructions on each method of application.

CAN HYDROSILEX RECHARGE BE APPLIED USING A FOAM CANNON?
Yes, it can be applied using the recommended mixing ratio for application with a foam cannon. Mix 1 ounce of Recharge in a typical 32oz foam cannon bottle, with water. For a heavier application, simply pour Recharge into the foam cannon bottle, then apply. Pour any unused product back into Recharge bottle when finished.

DOES HYDROSILEX RECHARGE GIVE HYDROPHOBIC PROPERTIES AND SELF-CLEANING EFFECT?
By design, HydroSilex Recharge gives instant hydrophobic effect upon contact. Because it is engineered to be applied wet, the surface can be exposed to water immediately. Yes, HydroSilex Recharge creates a slick surface that is extremely hydrophobic and thus creating a self-cleaning surface that requires less maintenance.

HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
HydroSilex Recharge can last from 6 to 8 months, but will last indefinitely longer if used routinely as it was designed. The product is designed to be layered, so the more often it is used, the longer the durability and effect.

DOES IT PROTECT SURFACES FROM OXIDATION AND FADING?
Yes, HydroSilex provides protection against oxidation and fading from UV exposure.

CAN I USE RECHARGE ON A CLEAR BRA?
Yes, HydroSilex Recharge is great for use on Paint Protection Film as those products do not have built in protection against UV exposure. It will help keep those surfaces easy to clean by creating a slick barrier, without the common build up by waxes and sealants on the edges of the film.

This BMW M2 was Recharged - the full front has a clear bar on it.

Installation is as easy as it can possibly get, here is what HydroSilex wants us to use the product.

My favorite way to apply the product is probably going to be dry, for some reason my head is telling me that it will be the best way to get the most out of the product (in the sense of durability), without diluting it like on a wet application via drying the vehicle or installing it via a foam cannon or foam gun.

So that being said my thinking is for the 1st application go dry and for maintenance with HydroSilex use it in a foam cannon, foam gun, or as a drying agent, either way imagine that while you are drying the car you are adding that slick feel to it as well as giving your car protection 1-8 months worth!

Dry Application
  1. Spray Hydrosilex Recharge onto clean vehicle surfaces
  2. Follow up immediately and dry with a clean microfiber towel
  3. Buff with an additional clean microfiber towel if necessary.

*****Always use clean towels. Microfiber towels are recommended.*****

Wet Application
  1. During the wash process, rinse the vehicle.
  2. Spray Hydrosilex Recharge onto all wet exterior surfaces
  3. Rinse treated surfaces immediately before Recharge dries on surface until water runs clear.
  4. Dry vehicle properly with a microfiber towel
*****Always use clean towels, microfiber towels are recommended. *****

Foam Cannon Application
  1. Once the wash final rinse process is complete, fill the foam cannon dispenser bottle with Hydrosilex Recharge
  2. Apply to Hydrosilex Recharge utilizing the foam cannon on all exterior surfaces of the vehicle. use approximatly 250 ml per vehicle.
  3. Rinse treated surfaces with water thoroughly until water runs clear.
  4. Dry vehicle properly with a clean microfiber towel
*****Always use clean towels, microfiber towels are recommended. *****

Water Beading is on point, HydroSilex Recharge was used over this coated BMW M3, in this case Recharge was used to boost the current coating.

Some of the microfibers we have used with the HydroSilex Recharge with great results:

The Rag Company Drago
The Rag Company Pluffe
The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless
Uber Classic
Uber Quick Detail
Uber All Purpose
Adam's Great White
Uber Super Drying

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Coatings keep evolving for the better! This has my name all over it once I use all the other products up that I have ready for spring!

I remember the days of putting Zymöl carbon on the car. Shine lasted about the same amount of time as the installation process... This is a much, much better option, though Zymöl smelled so good.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

yes products seem to evolve every 24 months now. I remember the days of Zymol...that was a great product 30 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
I was thinking about getting this, but have you seen the online reviews? They are anything but stellar.
      03-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

I believe there is one review out there that isn't all that great, I believe in the product if that counts LOL

We have used a lot of it in the shop prior to launch.

I believe it's a great product, I also believe there are a lot of folks not drying the car down completely. it will streak, haze, if it's not wiped down properly.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Phil,

Since this initial post, do you feel the dry application has been best?

One of the reviews I saw the guy applied it to his SUV wet and he claims it left streaks and cloudy areas that were a pain to cure.

I will probably give this product a shot.

I appreciate your replies and post.
      03-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

So after 1.5 months I've applied another coat to this. The first coat was already coming off. Says 6-8 months on their website.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
So after 1.5 months I've applied another coat to this. The first coat was already coming off. Says 6-8 months on their website.
How do you like it? I think 1.5 months is a pretty reasonable amount of time for a spray on. Is it as easy to apply as they make it sound? Dis you apply is using the dry or wet method?
      03-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114 View Post
How do you like it? I think 1.5 months is a pretty reasonable amount of time for a spray on. Is it as easy to apply as they make it sound? Dis you apply is using the dry or wet method?
It's not bad but imo there's a lot of other products out there that does the same but cost much less. Still love my kenotek detailer.
With that being said, I used the dry method. It's easy to apply but you must make sure you do a good wipe down. I did a wash, clay, Gtechniq panel wipe down to clean any residue, then used like half a 16oz bottle for 1 application.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Thanks Phil,

Since this initial post, do you feel the dry application has been best?

One of the reviews I saw the guy applied it to his SUV wet and he claims it left streaks and cloudy areas that were a pain to cure.

I will probably give this product a shot.

I appreciate your replies and post.
We had our initial use at the shop several months ago and so far have replaced using hydro2, reload and several other similar products for HydroSilex.

From my use, we have determined that using the product as a dry wipe on wipe off application worked much better and used very minimal product in comparison to spraying on while the car is wet. We tried the product in many different scenarios (wet, dry, indoors and outdoors) and have come across the streaking/staining spots that many have seen when applying wet. From our experience working with Hydro2 and other similar spray on silica sealant products, the streaking is caused by over saturating the surface and not properly rinsing the product off.

If you are flooding the car with water after it is ideal to work on top surfaces first to make sure the product is spread downwards instead of onto an area that is already hit with the product. Do not use in direct sunlight and do not let the product sit on the surface for an extended period of time. Flush extremely well and work in small areas of the car. Don't try to do the entire side of the car in one shot.

Overall, the product has worked extremely well and has been quite durable when used properly. A lot of the durability also has to do with amount of maintenance of the vehicle, prep as well as climate. Here in Miami, the weather is extremely brutal so I don't expect it to last 6 months, but for the ease of application and time it takes we can apply it in the same amount of time as a quick detailer would. We have gotten well over 10 cars on a single 16oz bottle using it dry and have plenty of product left making a very effective item for the price. Its a great product and would highly recommend to have in your arsenal whether a professional like myself or a DIY
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Awesome, thanks so much for the replies! I am going to order a bottle and give it a shot.
      03-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post

I never trust any sort of "lasts for X" claims for detailing products. Those are always in some impossible ideal scenario, e.g. brand new car that sits in a bubble and never gets exposed to direct sunlight, humidity, etc.

Even the shop that did my C.quartz alluded to that, saying YMMV based on how, when, and where you use the car. Year-round use in a climate that sees snow/ice/salt as well as hot summers will drastically shorten the life versus a car that's only driven in moderate temperatures and garaged 99% of the time.

So when you say 1.5 months, what is your specific use case?

-where/when do you park it
-temperature range
-exposure to salt, dirt, other pollutants
-status of your paint prior to application
-how often/how thoroughly do you wash it
-etc
      03-31-2018, 05:30 AM   #13
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks so much for the replies! I am going to order a bottle and give it a shot.
that's great!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #14
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I never trust any sort of "lasts for X" claims for detailing products. Those are always in some impossible ideal scenario, e.g. brand new car that sits in a bubble and never gets exposed to direct sunlight, humidity, etc.

Even the shop that did my C.quartz alluded to that, saying YMMV based on how, when, and where you use the car. Year-round use in a climate that sees snow/ice/salt as well as hot summers will drastically shorten the life versus a car that's only driven in moderate temperatures and garaged 99% of the time.

-temperature range
-etc
I would agree with this, up to 6 months, 6 months being the best case scenario
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #15
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Can this be used with the AMMO paint regiment? Thinking of using this as a final step after Skin is applied.
      04-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

-temperature range
-etc
Just a reference point, my concur looks ps21 wax lasted about 2-3 months
Yea I usually take those claims with a grain of salt
-indoor heated garage
-well its in the 40's now
-no salt but dust build up is norm
-no swirls, paint is excellent. Did a clay application before applying.
-wash every 2 week
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
furry
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

How does this compare to polymer net shield? Would be interested to hear from users of both, thx
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Gloss - both
Finish - both
Touch - hydrosilex will feel more slick
Ease of Use - hydrosilex
beading - Sonax PNS