BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-29-2018, 12:11 AM   #45
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

She sounds mean! The growl is intense.

Dyno coming soon, need to tune the car again, gonna chat with Steve Dinan's new shop down the street from me, Carbahn, for a tune.

Car hesitates to accelerate at low rpm, definitely feels like there's hp left on the table to harness.
      08-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #46
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post

Dyno coming soon, need to tune the car again, gonna chat with Steve Dinan's new shop down the street from me, Carbahn, for a tune.

Car hesitates to accelerate at low rpm, definitely feels like there's hp left on the table to harness.
Any chance you can post a vid or audio clip for us? So stoked for you!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #47
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Wow! How does it sound? Did you measure the weight savings (if any)?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #48
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

And there is slicer in with the 3 oz weight ssvings inquiry! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #49
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
Damn right! It all adds up. I am chipping away towards a weight goal and the front end of the car is the most difficult to lighten. I will put together a thread soon. I have been geeking out by weighing and documenting each change.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11574.50
ebisu81070.50
      08-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #50
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:
Damn right! It all adds up. I am chipping away towards a weight goal and the front end of the car is the most difficult to lighten. I will put together a thread soon. I have been geeking out by weighing and documenting each change.
Please don't keep it from us! Lol
      08-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #51
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The Karbonius loses almost 7lb off the nose I'd think this one is similar

Also, yeah, you may be geeky, but how many titanium bolts do you have holding down YOUR airbox?

TRICK QUESTION the answer is one 1/16" wide zip-tie
      08-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #52
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Please don't keep it from us! Lol
I will share soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

Also, yeah, you may be geeky, but how many titanium bolts do you have holding down YOUR airbox?

I need to look into that! Never considered zip-ties as part of my weight loss plan.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #53
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Secondary air system deleted? Im assuming you have lighter pulleys? Remove a/c, replace steering wheel and get appropriate adapter and max out your seat position to the back. Instsll a new pedal kit if needed to reach pedals. Dry sump kit thd engine getting you lower which equates to a weight savings like effect, carbon fiber da seh by bimmerworld, hmm. Im looking forward to seeing your thread. You could throw a ttx front front damper on as its super light
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #54
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

I just looked at the design and since this eliminates two other air pathways im not surprised at low speed and/or part throttle issues. Especially that top hood vent path does tricky things like act as an outflow path at lower speed/thtottle position and turn to an intake path at full vacuum. I imagine at part throttle the air flow is more turbulent as this hood vent probably was designed to do sonething of that sort if it has a dual purpose. Wide open throttle at higher rpms may make some power and id guess you dont have the hesitation at higher rpms
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #55
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Secondary air system deleted? Im assuming you have lighter pulleys? Remove a/c, replace steering wheel and get appropriate adapter and max out your seat position to the back. Instsll a new pedal kit if needed to reach pedals. Dry sump kit thd engine getting you lower which equates to a weight savings like effect, carbon fiber da seh by bimmerworld, hmm. Im looking forward to seeing your thread. You could throw a ttx front front damper on as its super light
Great list of options. I should add that my goal is to lighten the car while still maintaining the ability to drive it on the street in CA.

Secondary air system deleted?

It's on the list but we have smog checks and this adds to the hassle of passing. I will likely do it anyway .

Im assuming you have lighter pulleys?

No. Open to lighter pulleys but not interested in under driving water pump in a climate that already taxes the cooling system.

Remove a/c,

Not unless this becomes a dedicated track car.

replace steering wheel

Yes, on the list but not wild about deleting the airbag on a car that sees street use

and get appropriate adapter and max out your seat position to the back. Instsll a new pedal kit if needed to reach pedals.

Not doing this on a street car.

Dry sump kit thd engine getting you lower which equates to a weight savings like effect,

Requires deleting AC. See above.

carbon fiber da seh by bimmerworld, hmm.

Not practical unless dedicated Track car.

Im looking forward to seeing your thread. You could throw a ttx front front damper on as its super light

I have TTX suspension already.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #56
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Well shit! I can tell you in pretty much street weight i have ran ms pulley which includes two pulleys it was an awesone mod that dodnt bump my temps up runnibg at all cali tracks in hot hot conditions. It was my main concern as well trust me. Whst it aldo did was underdrive the power steering ounp and eliminated the overflow problem i had every dam track d asy! Plus saved wight and opened up a few hp.

Sounds kike this intake works well to save weight!

Empty your washer fluid, there is an easy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #57
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well shit! I can tell you in pretty much street weight i have ran ms pulley which includes two pulleys it was an awesone mod that dodnt bump my temps up runnibg at all cali tracks in hot hot conditions. It was my main concern as well trust me. Whst it aldo did was underdrive the power steering ounp and eliminated the overflow problem i had every dam track d asy! Plus saved wight and opened up a few hp.

Sounds kike this intake works well to save weight!

Empty your washer fluid, there is an easy one.
My temps already run higher than I would like. I recently switched to CSF coolers. We shall see how things go after cooling upgrades.

Empty wash fluid??? Pshhhh - I removed the whole tank, wipers and wiper motors . 20 lbs total including washer fluid. I have had my current e92 for 2 years and have never filled the washer tank. It was full when I removed it. Plus I think I have used my wipers 3x and one of those times was when I bumped the lever on the track - haha

I do think it would be cool to get light pulleys that don't under drive the water pump. I'm not sure how much could be saved there but I will look into it.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      08-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #58
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

What pulley options are out there? I have the Dinan pulleys but if there are others that can be added in addition to the Dinan ones I may have to get em! Haha
      08-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #59
MSY
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My temps already run higher than I would like. I recently switched to CSF coolers. We shall see how things go after cooling upgrades.

Empty wash fluid??? Pshhhh - I removed the whole tank, wipers and wiper motors . 20 lbs total including washer fluid. I have had my current e92 for 2 years and have never filled the washer tank. It was full when I removed it. Plus I think I have used my wipers 3x and one of those times was when I bumped the lever on the track - haha

I do think it would be cool to get light pulleys that don't under drive the water pump. I'm not sure how much could be saved there but I will look into it.
Csf coolers didnt do a thing for me which i was disapointed in. Looked into hood vents but to do it properly you need to go full race car, rip out air conditioning to get the right setup from my research in order to creste a molding over rasiator and suck that hot aitlr out through proper vents etc. J7st slapping vents on a hood was negl8gible ftom my resesrch.

Well shoot you ripped wipers off but wabt it daiky driver friendly...make up your mind yo.... lol

Could replace windshield with special race plastic. Now im totally out of ideas!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #60
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Csf coolers didnt do a thing for me which i was disapointed in. Looked into hood vents but to do it properly you need to go full race car, rip out air conditioning to get the right setup from my research in order to creste a molding over rasiator and suck that hot aitlr out through proper vents etc. J7st slapping vents on a hood was negl8gible ftom my resesrch.

Well shoot you ripped wipers off but wabt it daiky driver friendly...make up your mind yo.... lol

Could replace windshield with special race plastic. Now im totally out of ideas!
Not a daily, I have a F31 wagon for that. Just want it to be streetable. Next to zero rain in so-cal. Wipers are never used.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #61
ImraanM
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

Any idea why the M24 is so much more expensive then the Karbonius?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #62
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImraanM View Post
Any idea why the M24 is so much more expensive then the Karbonius?
bc they were the only player in the game until recently.... even karbonius isnt for sale to the public yet.
      09-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #63
ImraanM
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
bc they were the only player in the game until recently.... even karbonius isnt for sale to the public yet.
Just got a price yesterday from m24 3991 euro for their airbox
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #64
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i've talked about this with malek and it seems like the effort for less weight, non-underdriving pulleys would be somewhat cumbersome for little gain. however, i'm still interested for the fun of it. the belts have to spin the pulleys and tensioners, and that is moving mass, right?

i'm beginning to learn CAD and making things like pulley wheels would be relatively easy. same with non-essential (less stress) brackets.
there is a company called markforged that makes a 3d printer capable of printing continuous fiber carbon parts, and it typically uses a pre-preg carbon design. they are also pioneering laser sintering "printers."
there is a company- www.re3dtech.com that one could send 3d renderings to and they could be printed with the markforged tech. i'm not 100% sure if sintering titanium or inconel is available yet, but the tech is on the cusp of being available.

a few examples of what i would like to achieve is 3d printed carbon wiper arms and motor arms, carbon metal brackets (non essential) under the hood, and putting together titanium bolt/nut/fastener packages.
this isn't my background or bread and butter, but nobody is doing it yet and i might be able to have fun with it.
      08-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #65
Rickyslickk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post

Hi!!
Any update on this?
I know its been some time. Any gains overall?
How was drivability following the intall and tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #66
alfalfa
Private
Rep

Without a proper tune this airbox is worthless and making less power. But with a proper tune its awesome. :-)
Appreciate 0