BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Tried Swiss Vax leather treatment- removed color from armrest

Hey all,
Tried a new product to clean the leather inside the car yesterday. Swissvax sells a leather treatment kit with cleaner, leather milk and a finish to help prevent creasing. Overall I liked the product, but I had one issue with the cleaner. On the arm rest only, which takes the most wear of all the leather in the car, using the cleaner seemed to remove some of the bamboo pigment, leaving some darkness behind.

So I wont be using the cleaner again, but the milk and protector seem ok,

Any ideas how to correct the color change on the leather? I suspect dye or shoe polish of similar color is the best path.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

How much for the cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
How much for the cleaner?
Not sure you read what I wrote. The cleaner removed pigment from the leather. You dont want it. But the entire set is about 100 bucks. Its pretty expensive stuff.

https://www.swissvax.net/merchant.mv...Code=SE1042690

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Coating must have been worn off mate, otherwise the paint sitt still underneth.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

It helps prevent creasing? Sounds fishy.
      08-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

bummer on it removing the color. I used leatherique on my center armrest and it removed the ink too
      08-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Hey all,
Tried a new product to clean the leather inside the car yesterday. Swissvax sells a leather treatment kit with cleaner, leather milk and a finish to help prevent creasing. Overall I liked the product, but I had one issue with the cleaner. On the arm rest only, which takes the most wear of all the leather in the car, using the cleaner seemed to remove some of the bamboo pigment, leaving some darkness behind.

So I wont be using the cleaner again, but the milk and protector seem ok,

Any ideas how to correct the color change on the leather? I suspect dye or shoe polish of similar color is the best path.

I suspect the pigment was already quite thin/worn. I have seen this before on high-traffic areas of seats, especially those with piping. I try to limit my use of leather cleaners to a few times a year, tops. Unless you are constantly getting into the car with filthy clothes or leave the windows down when driving through dirty areas, the seats shouldn't get THAT dirty.

My advice is to take it to a competent interior repair place (there are even some mobile services) and have them re-dye that section. They will typically mix the dye for your exact seat since there is natural variation in leather and it has likely faded a bit since new. Have them touch-up anything else at the same time -- probably set you back $100 tops.
      08-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I suspect the pigment was already quite thin/worn. I have seen this before on high-traffic areas of seats, especially those with piping. I try to limit my use of leather cleaners to a few times a year, tops. Unless you are constantly getting into the car with filthy clothes or leave the windows down when driving through dirty areas, the seats shouldn't get THAT dirty.

My advice is to take it to a competent interior repair place (there are even some mobile services) and have them re-dye that section. They will typically mix the dye for your exact seat since there is natural variation in leather and it has likely faded a bit since new. Have them touch-up anything else at the same time -- probably set you back $100 tops.
Good advice. Thanks Dparm. Yes, this is an area that I always have my elbow on. Sunscreen is likely a contributor to the wear.

Appreciate 0