BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

05-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
dylansun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Stock EDC always at firmest setting

Hi,
I have a 2011 E92 M3 ZCP. Bought the car beginning this year.

Since I got it, the EDC, no matter it has no light, 1 light, or 2 lights on, there's no difference in the firmness. I believe it's always been in the firmest setting. Going some rough road can be unpleasant.

No codes or warnings as far as I know. I have heard people saying it can be the problem with the EDC module if there is no code showing. If it's the module, how can I change it? I kind of know where it is located but don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Various info on this give it a search mate. Heres a couple of various threads that may give some insight: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406391

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283704
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
dylansun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Various info on this give it a search mate. Heres a couple of various threads that may give some insight: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406391

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283704
Thank you sir.

I've read the threads. I found my situation very close to yours. My EDC has no difference at all since I bought it, not even a slight change. I have driven a M3 with functioning EDC so I am sure it's always at the "sport" firmness.

Since it's been almost two years, have you figured out completely what's causing the trouble? What would be recommended to do at this time? I was thinking unplugging the sensors and the module and see if anything gets better. I won't need to reprogram it if I unplug the module right?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:30 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Hi Dylan, no changes really I'm afraid. I've re measured the damper control current a couple of times - still good - and I do have a small difference between setting. Nothing close to the way it was, and reading around the same seems to be true for quite a few cars, while some have the massive changes still.

If it wasn't that mine lost it already around 25k miles I may have invested in new dampers but tgat simply can't be the case (..!?).

Over to you: assuming you've scanned and no codes. Did you have a chance to measure the current ok?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

I've have no experience with this but have a dumb question, how do you really know at what firmness EDC your car is operating with?
      05-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
dylansun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dylan, no changes really I'm afraid. I've re measured the damper control current a couple of times - still good - and I do have a small difference between setting. Nothing close to the way it was, and reading around the same seems to be true for quite a few cars, while some have the massive changes still.

If it wasn't that mine lost it already around 25k miles I may have invested in new dampers but tgat simply can't be the case (..!?).

Over to you: assuming you've scanned and no codes. Did you have a chance to measure the current ok?

Cheers
Yeah I am thinking about measuring it if that's the simplest and the first step I should do. Where should I connect to measure the current?
Yeah indeed, It's probably not as simple as just changing the dampers because there's no promise it will fix it right? It can be anything like the module, battery, ECU etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
dylansun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
I've have no experience with this but have a dumb question, how do you really know at what firmness EDC your car is operating with?
I guess based on feeling. I have driven an e92 with functional EDC, when it's at comfort, I thought I was driving a f80 328 sedan. Normal feels stiffer but in a good way in terms of comfort. Sport you can feel anything goes under your tires, and can be tough on some rough road.

That's why I was sure it's locked at sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansun View Post
Yeah I am thinking about measuring it if that's the simplest and the first step I should do. Where should I connect to measure the current?
Yeah indeed, It's probably not as simple as just changing the dampers because there's no promise it will fix it right? It can be anything like the module, battery, ECU etc.
Dylan, as you may have read in my threads I also tried changing the module trying measuring. Nothing, and again the correct damper control current seems to be there.
Very easy to measure, hook up a cheap multimeter directly at the damper using long wires into the car. I bought some small connectors that fit quite nicely into each side of the black damper contact.

As you say, Comfort should be quite soft while Sport really hard.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Dylan, as you may have read in my threads I also tried changing the module trying measuring. Nothing, and again the correct damper control current seems to be there.
Very easy to measure, hook up a cheap multimeter directly at the damper using long wires into the car. I bought some small connectors that fit quite nicely into each side of the black damper contact.

As you say, Comfort should be quite soft while Sport really hard.
Dylan btw another easy module check is to pull one of the front connectors. Will shut the module down. If it gets even firmer - like mine does - the module still generates current when hooked up and can be assumed to work. Soon as you plug back the iDrive error will go away and things is back to normal (you will have an old code you can scan/delete but isnt an issue).

Cheers
Appreciate 0