BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _BSMM5 View Post
3. E90 M3
- too many awesome things to list
- bad- RWD, although I did do RWD 335 in canada for a year and good tires were fine in the winter.
- relatively slow / good and bad
- the sound of the V8
      07-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #24
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPM3er View Post
and the throttle response and auto transmission take some getting used to.
On the brighter side - the low end torque is similar to my E92
I haven't driven the E9x m3s is it really that bad? Haha
No, not at all... the low torque comments on here are getting old to say the least. You can keep the car under 2k and still accelerate to highway speeds and keep up with traffic no issues what so ever.

It's guys coming from tuned 335's where they make 400ft-lbs at 1500rpm who say the m3 is low on torque. For the record I was one of those guys that found the m3 to be more than adequate when I made the move up
      07-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #25
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Test drove a supercharged E92 today with an akra exhaust...

it was pretty fun to say the least unfortunately the car wasn't in good enough condition interior and exterior to justify the price. Needed maybe $1000 of reconditioning and trim replacement to bring it up to quality interior. Even supercharged the torque was pretty lacking - albeit a fun car and I think my sense of "torque" was ruined by daily driving a 670 Ft-lb @2500 RPM vehicle. However, The top end was amazing as was the cornering.

I also test drove an F80 and I have to say the car felt much more refined, even stock compared to the E92. Perhaps this is just because it was 10 years younger than the E92. I think the E92 would've been a great track car but supercharged might have been a little too rough for daily driving. The F80 just had more "comfort".

Have yet to try the 340.. although I think with x drive and manual it could be awesome. There's just something about the fenders steering feel of the M3s that seem worth it.

When I make the move to Denver, I will most certainly be getting a truck to survive the winters and outdoors stuff. I'm just trying to debate getting one now or waiting..

EDIT: Also forgot to add that I also tried out a WRX STI and the car was quite a blast to drive.. no where near the design or luxury of even a 3 series but the car felt very solid and put together, quick off the line. Im thinking the 340xi would be a great contender
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #26
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
Quote:
Used 2015s are hitting the mid 30k mark for the F80 now. 50k for low mileage 2016/2017 models. My E36 is months away from being finished.. maybe I should just be less patient. I could dial the boost back and make it more street friendly for sure.😮

I have a 50 mile round trip commute to work and the Tacoma seems grueling on the highway.

I was thinking about the M3 and Tacoma combo as well. If I can find a good condition MT E90. Not as easy as I thought. I'd have to go older on the Tacoma too.
Holy crap, 30k for a used f80? Lol. Well, with whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Go look at the used market. Not $30k, mid $30k around 35-40k for a 2015 with 50k+ miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #27
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Merc’s CPO program is excellent and the C43 AMG is a better car in pretty much all respects compared to the F30 imo. And that engine sounds AMAZING. Definitely a contender for best V6 noises made today

We owned an F34 335 and it could be the last bmw we buy. Not because it was a bad car, but because the others’ cars in the same size classes are now better to drive. It just lacked that certain something special and that always felt the same no matter what version of F3x. Then again I’ve never been all that keen on the non-M BMW’s so what do I know. Just sayin if you’re willing to drive a Taco you’re willing to drive another non-bmw

Also, as somebody who drives a tundra in the winter, don’t if you can avoid it. Unless you’re trying to preserve this AWD Turbo thing (which, why, awd Turbo things are now a dime a dozen) just drive it. You’ll have more fun. But if you must truck because you want to be able to tow the e36 occasionally or whatever, I’d recommend an older Toyota without the collision avoidance and without the 8speed. As Eric mentioned above there is a reason Toyota has left the powertrains alone for as long as they have and you can tell the Toyota way does not respond well to pressure to innovate from the outside. My ‘14 tundra (with the same ancient 6speed and 5.7 they designed in 2005) is an amazing vehicle because of what it has and maybe what it doesn’t have even more so. Less can be more with a truck just like a performance car. I love my truck for what it is, but if I didn’t need to tow I’d pick any number of Subarus, Audi’s, VW’s or Mercs as a beater first

Last edited by Richbot; 07-08-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

If you're moving to Denver, I think you're supposed to buy a Jeep Wrangler.
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      07-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #29
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

I have a 2018 Taco TRD Sport, extended cab long bed. It is not the most comfortable daily driver, but it is a good truck. The cabin is smallish and the steering wheel doesn't telescope. Engine feels lethargic, but it's sufficient. They do have great leases on them though.
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      07-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #30
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
I have a 2018 Taco TRD Sport, extended cab long bed. It is not the most comfortable daily driver, but it is a good truck. The cabin is smallish and the steering wheel doesn't telescope. Engine feels lethargic, but it's sufficient. They do have great leases on them though.
Our 2019 Off Road is the most plush riding vehicle I've ever owned, by far. It eats up cracks and potholes like a dream.... better than a luxury car, no exaggeration, and FAR better than any BMW ever could. We did not drive a Sport since we strictly wanted the offroad (because it looks super cool, costs the same, and, comes with Bilstiens, a locking diff and skid plates.) Either the bigger tires/Billies makes a huge difference or you come from Bentleys, because the late model Tacos are crazy comfortable driving.

Now - if you mean "creature comforts" on the interior then yes, it is very spartan and basic, but to me that's what's so great about it. You get a rock solid, over-built, ultra reliable machine for $36k brand new.... Toyota knows where to cut and where not to cut.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 07-09-2019 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #31
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

With a Tacoma, the OP could drive a work truck during the week, a plush Tacoma for his personal use, and drive in an Audi SUV when with his girlfriend.

For someone who used to drive a modded F10 M5, this will be pretty dull driving, but maybe he is ready to give up handling and power.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #32
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not ready to give up power and handling.. that's why I went with the F80 M3. I don't plan on modding or upgrading this other than tires/wheels/springs. While it most certainly is a "fast car" it's no where on the level of my M5, nor do I want it to be.

When I move to Denver in a year I will either sell the F80 or just end up picking up an older beater Tacoma. I definitely will want something to take to the mountains and trail/winter capable.

The Tacoma was great in terms of build and design, sharp looking truck. But I was surprised that the seating position felt very go cart like, almost as much as my F80 with your legs out in front of you. Now if Toyota would only bring back a V8 option for the taco...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #33
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Not ready to give up power and handling.. that's why I went with the F80 M3. I don't plan on modding or upgrading this other than tires/wheels/springs. While it most certainly is a "fast car" it's no where on the level of my M5, nor do I want it to be.

When I move to Denver in a year I will either sell the F80 or just end up picking up an older beater Tacoma. I definitely will want something to take to the mountains and trail/winter capable.

The Tacoma was great in terms of build and design, sharp looking truck. But I was surprised that the seating position felt very go cart like, almost as much as my F80 with your legs out in front of you. Now if Toyota would only bring back a V8 option for the taco...
Great choice. What year F80? If early then be sure to update motor/DCS/Diff/Damper software to the latest spec as they late model cars were vastly more 'sorted'.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      07-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #34
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Sorry, but it's a weird question. I'd get the turbo 3-series or an F150 3.5TT. The Tacomas are about as boring as they come and I don't understand comparing them to BMW sedans.
      07-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #35
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I’m biased because I have a 340i xdrive, but if you want a mini M3 with the daily driving behavior of an entry level luxury sedan then the 340i can’t be beat. It’ll get 32-34mpg on the highway and push 450-475whp on bolts and a good tune. My car only has the MPPSK exhaust and a stage 2.5 ecu tune and makes 430whp and runs high 11s. The B58 motor is also the new Supra motor so it’s only going to get more R&D support. I swapped some interior trim pieces from an F80 M3 and basically have a mini M3 with Awd (not actually of course). The only down side to the F30, in my opinion, is the front MSport bumper isn’t as good looking as the 4 series and the steering could be lighter and more connected. Last thing, I got my 340i with every single option available CPO for under 40k.

My .02
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #36
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
I’m biased because I have a 340i xdrive, but if you want a mini M3 with the daily driving behavior of an entry level luxury sedan then the 340i can’t be beat. It’ll get 32-34mpg on the highway and push 450-475whp on bolts and a good tune. My car only has the MPPSK exhaust and a stage 2.5 ecu tune and makes 430whp and runs high 11s. The B58 motor is also the new Supra motor so it’s only going to get more R&D support. I swapped some interior trim pieces from an F80 M3 and basically have a mini M3 with Awd (not actually of course). The only down side to the F30, in my opinion, is the front MSport bumper isn’t as good looking as the 4 series and the steering could be lighter and more connected. Last thing, I got my 340i with every single option available CPO for under 40k.

My .02
What about resale value, which will hold more? I worry 340xi xdrives, even manuals, will depreciate more as a non-M car versus the last NA V8.

Just something I think about as I am sure I'll be gut checking my M3 ownership over 340xi after this winter.
Appreciate 1
Oreo Cat125.00
      10-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #37
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I daily a 340i X-Drive 6MT. It's an amazing daily. Beast in the snow, very fast with some bolt ons and a tune as mentioned. I put dinan springs and sway bars on, VAC Motorsport front control arms are next, I think that'll tighten up the steering feel and handling enough. It's great on gas, all the tech you need without feeling like you're sitting in a star ship enterprise. I live in Chicago and park on the streets, it has amazed me with how well it'll get out of snow.

In terms of value, it won't hold value like some M cars but I can't imagine it'll sink in value IF you get the 6MT.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #38
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If your problem is snow then get the Tacoma and maybe some fun stuff like this link. It will require fenders and make you want to do the rear as well. Only way I drive my Tundra and nothing will stop you.

https://camburg.com/shop/suspension/...ng-travel-kit/
      11-19-2022, 06:09 PM   #39
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
If your problem is snow then get the Tacoma and maybe some fun stuff like this link. It will require fenders and make you want to do the rear as well. Only way I drive my Tundra and nothing will stop you.

https://camburg.com/shop/suspension/...ng-travel-kit/
With that kit you can get away with trimmed fenders, but the rear is definitely more important than the front, a spring under kit at the least would be need to match the performance of that. 10k + on suspension alone. OP I hope you're rich
I think you could do that with stock fenders. I picked up some fiberworx fenders and had them painted. Same with the rear bed sides. You can do a simple bed cage and still keep the bed. Just need (4) 2" holes for the cage to attach to the frame. Then (2) 5" holes for the shocks to go down to the axle. Add longer leaf spring shackles as well and you now have around 16"-18" of travel in the rear. They do make more modest kits but you'll kick yourself. Hydraulic bump stops at all 4 corners as well. It adds up fast lol. And you thought you were gonna go a more modest roughy
      11-19-2022, 10:37 PM   #40
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I think you could do that with stock fenders. I picked up some fiberworx fenders and had them painted. Same with the rear bed sides. You can do a simple bed cage and still keep the bed. Just need (4) 2" holes for the cage to attach to the frame. Then (2) 5" holes for the shocks to go down to the axle. Add longer leaf spring shackles as well and you now have around 16"-18" of travel in the rear. They do make more modest kits but you'll kick yourself. Hydraulic bump stops at all 4 corners as well. It adds up fast lol. And you thought you were gonna go a more modest roughy
i decided to settle, i went for a stock length mid travel with kings, jd fab ucas and lca mounts, and superbumps all around
hoping to get some 14 inch kings with my shock relocate but im ready for my truck to simply be usable again..
dream setup is a +2 kit and links i the back
Giantmotorsports makes a great 4 link setup.

https://www.giantmotorsports.com/ind...spension-kits/
      11-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #41
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Good choice on the F80! I love Taco's but spending a decent amount of time driving a Taco we built as a company truck it convinced me to buy an F150. We had a stage 10 Icon kit, Method wheels, Nitto's and a few other pieces on it.

Taco's look great but it's all the negatives of a 1/2 ton with none of the positives. It get's worse gas mileage, less interior space, poorer ride, old technology and a smaller bed than my F150.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:44 AM   #42
Blue79
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 ZHP ; 1996 Land Cruiser

I think this is a great thread with good insight. I am in a similar-ish boat. I live in Aspen Colorado currently, and if I were to move anywhere it would be back to Colorado Springs where my folks live. I sold my E46 ZHP when I found out I was moving to Aspen and currently just driving my 1996 Supercharged Land Cruiser.

I really don't "need" another car right now, but with spring/summer coming soon and my Land Cruiser coming up on 300,000 miles, I am ready to get a daily for the summer lined up.

This thread is surprising me with how many people are talking about the lack of power out of the S65 at elevation. Heck I am coming from a Land Cruiser and an old 330i. But also I was never going for straight line performance, for me it was always about driver engagement and the ZHP totally nailed that.

I am ready to get something a little newer though, I have owned a lot of classic cars.

The mind battle I have been having lately is the 340xi with the manual, or a E90. 340xi of course has the 4wd benefit which is pretty important up here, and the B58 kicks butt. My mom has the M40i X3 and that car goes like a bat out of hell. HOWEVER, if the 340xi handles anything like my moms M40i, I want nothing to do with it. The electric steering in that car has to be one of the worst steering cars I have ever experienced.

All the threads I have read comparing the 340xi to the E90, it seems that no matter what people do the 340xi will never have great handling characteristics.

Then of course, the E90. Seems like everyone who has one or has driven one treats it like their own child. A little needy, but nothing too out of control. But I have heard the debate with the S65 having nothing to offer down low. In fact, the guy who bought my ZHP also has a E46 M3 and and E90 and even he was saying the ZHP felt zipper around town then both of them.

I just have a tough time wrapping my head around that but I guess enough people say it that it must really feel lacking down low.

Again I am not looking for a straight performance car, and from an depreciation perspective, I have a tough time believing a E90 M3 will ever be going for much less then what they are right now. But also, doing a nationwide search a 340xi with a 6 speed, they can be had for under 25k, and with the B58 I am not sure how far that will drop either.

Anyways just wanted to share my mind battle and I really appreciate everyone who is contributing to this thread with real experience. Being in Aspen it has been hard to get out of the valley and find either car to drive personally, so I have just been reading way too much online.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:55 AM   #43
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue79 View Post
I think this is a great thread with good insight. I am in a similar-ish boat. I live in Aspen Colorado currently, and if I were to move anywhere it would be back to Colorado Springs where my folks live. I sold my E46 ZHP when I found out I was moving to Aspen and currently just driving my 1996 Supercharged Land Cruiser.

I really don't "need" another car right now, but with spring/summer coming soon and my Land Cruiser coming up on 300,000 miles, I am ready to get a daily for the summer lined up.

This thread is surprising me with how many people are talking about the lack of power out of the S65 at elevation. Heck I am coming from a Land Cruiser and an old 330i. But also I was never going for straight line performance, for me it was always about driver engagement and the ZHP totally nailed that.

I am ready to get something a little newer though, I have owned a lot of classic cars.

The mind battle I have been having lately is the 340xi with the manual, or a E90. 340xi of course has the 4wd benefit which is pretty important up here, and the B58 kicks butt. My mom has the M40i X3 and that car goes like a bat out of hell. HOWEVER, if the 340xi handles anything like my moms M40i, I want nothing to do with it. The electric steering in that car has to be one of the worst steering cars I have ever experienced.

All the threads I have read comparing the 340xi to the E90, it seems that no matter what people do the 340xi will never have great handling characteristics.

Then of course, the E90. Seems like everyone who has one or has driven one treats it like their own [...]
Which E90, the 335xi? I was a diehard E9x and E8x guy being a 128i 6MT owner who also enjoyed the RWD 328i.

After driving two 335xi N55’s and some F series chassis though I can honestly say do NOT get the E90 in AWD. The steering is awful and heavy and the N55 has terrible throttle response.

I preferred the 340xi w/ B58 I drove in every way (except price!). Even with the EPS steering the way it is weighted vs the 335xi overcomes any advantage one thinks a hydraulic rack has.
Appreciate 0