BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #23
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Finding anything with word "gallardo" will be tough , you might have better luck finding rs4,rs5,r8 which probably uses same brembo 8 piston caliper, would be easier to find information on.

I'm willing to bet those rear caliper are from Porsche boxsters that's how they can keep their prices down. 28/30mm pistons are from a rear of a car.

It's too bad they won't sell adapters separately ( but understandable since it takes some work to make them) as shipping will be quite expensive for US buyers.

Epytec.de builds adapters also and mbt-engineering but I don't think they have anything for e9x

I've used epytec for my vw brakes they make some good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #24
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
Finding anything with word "gallardo" will be tough , you might have better luck finding rs4,rs5,r8 which probably uses same brembo 8 piston caliper, would be easier to find information on.

I'm willing to bet those rear caliper are from Porsche boxsters that's how they can keep their prices down. 28/30mm pistons are from a rear of a car.

It's too bad they won't sell adapters separately ( but understandable since it takes some work to make them) as shipping will be quite expensive for US buyers.

Epytec.de builds adapters also and mbt-engineering but I don't think they have anything for e9x

I've used epytec for my vw brakes they make some good stuff.
Shipping isn't as terrible as you might think. I checked to my APO address from their website and it is based on weight. I think for the front set it was $80.00.

EDIT: Found one source that says Brembo Gallardo piston size is 28/28/32/32. I would double check those numbers, but for now, from what I can tell from using an online calculator, per the following specs:

8 Piston front: 28/28/32/32
4 Piston rear: 28/30
OEM front rotors: 360
OEM rear rotors: 350

..the brake bias is 0.674. Again, not sure if these figures are accurate, or if I even did the calculator correctly. All of this stuff is new to me.

EDIT2: Pretty sure the rear calipers are from a Porsche Cayenne.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-CAYE...e35def&vxp=mtr
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 10-13-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #25
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
this is a great thread! awesome that someone finally makes e92 m3 brake retrofits, e46 is been out there for a while now. I share the concern about the heat distribution on OEM rotor... looking at the Gallardo rotors tho I can see that they are very similar to OEM m3 ones... however the venting looks different and i'm sure there is more variables to it. What would be my biggest concern is the pot size and amount of them... after all going from 2 pots in the front wheels to 16 pots that's a huge change. last thing you would want is end up with your foot to the floor and not braking!
      10-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
albertracing
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S2

I am the guy that it all stared. Chris did send me an email and today I found this topic today while going over Google Analytics data.

I am willing to do some marketing in USA to get my company recognizable over the pond and make an investment in one set. In Europe we specialize in Audi and have lot of success stories on that market.

We could sell one set:

Front
Brembo 8 pot painted on color of choice (remanufactured).
Brake adapters S355 steel (silver galvanized)
Set of screws for caliper and adapter mounting - 12.9 grade (silver galvanized)
Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 pads

Rear
Brembo 4 pot painted on color of choice (remanufactured).
Brake adapters 7075 aluminium anodized in silver
Hawk HPS brake pads

Shipping to customer door in US.

All this for 1999 usd shipped! This is one time offer. Paypal accepted.

In return I would want you to test the set and write a bigger review on the forum for people to know that we are good and reliable company and this could be start of a bigger sale.

The kit is developed and tested locally. The rear was calculated and it was in development for some time. Chris just jumped in in the final week of the works. There is some matching to the front and rear calipers for them to work on M3 OEM discs so adapters alone won't work.

Caliper service includes:
- Calipers take apart and inspected
- Every piston inspected
- Rubbers inspected and new putted if there was a need
- Grease put in to pistons
- Vent valves secured with ceramic grease
- Calipers sand blasted
- Powder coated on the color of customer choice

Calipers are perfect condition. Never have been burned. From technical point of view they are as good as new. We have a good source of them form Germany. We can also provide new calipers but the price is much higher then.

For the full set above I would recommend getting steel brake lines for front and rear and putting new brake fluid. The car that the BBK would be put should have good discs not worn to much.

Our other set for M3 E46
https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/bi...rs-360mm-disc/

Was tested at Nürburgring recently and the tests results where amazing. The car performed flawless and braking was very reliable all the time.

We have the front set on two E92 M3 ... but they did not go to the ring yet. On Polish Poznan race track they also did very good. Map of the track here http://www.tptd.pl/images/plan%20toru.jpg

Just to tell you bit about our background. Me and my business partner are racing in semi pro racing league in Poland. Attaching pic of my car bellow - Audi S2 Quattro 450 HP. So we do know bit about braking

Kuba finished Faculty of Automotive and Construction Machinery University and worked over 10 years in companies: GE, Boeing and Michelin as an engineer. We both quit our corporate jobs some time ago and now are expanding our own business and do what we love the most and do the best. We do all the design in 3D CAD software and test the parts for week points.

Also check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AKMotorsport.net/ with some reviews.

Right now we are developing parts for to Lancer EVOs for rallying. Attaching some pics bellow.

We are two engineers who want to offer good products at fair price to end customers.

Is someone willing to be guinea pig on here ?

I anyone would have some technical questions we are open for discussion.

Best,

Albert

ps. We just finished yesterday a front and rear kit for E92 335i with M3 front and rear discs.

Last edited by albertracing; 10-15-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #27
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Can you explain how you are not absolutely melting oem rotors on the track by putting more pad onto them?
      10-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
albertracing
Private
Rep

Can you tell me why AMG is putting brake pads on 1/4 of the disc ? This is a photo of S65 AMG W221. The car has 612 HP (450 kW and 1000 Nm with weight of 2.2 ton (4 850 lbs)) ! This is top of the line of AMG S class car.

One important thing we have learned over years.

Theory tells that it real life it will work (or not). Real life tells you totally opposite.

The calculations with simple formulas wont tell you if the brake system will work or not. It has to be tested IRL with different pads and different road conditions. Our brake kits IRL provide superb braking and this is what matters to end customer. We did not melt the discs on Nürburgring and on Tor Poznań.

Of course you can buy better brake system, but can you feel the difference on the road or a track ? I really doubt that. But extra 5000 or 10 000 usd in your pocket. You can feel that.

If you want to do some hard core racing with this brake setup put more aggressive pads like Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000, one of Hawk Motorsports Compounds or something similar. Best pads we have used in Europe are Carbone Lorraine pads used by rally and endurance racing teams.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #29
RandyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 AA supercharged meth

Subd
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertracing View Post
I am the guy that it all stared. Chris did send me an email and today I found this topic today while going over Google Analytics data.

I am willing to do some marketing in USA to get my company recognizable over the pond and make an investment in one set. In Europe we specialize in Audi and have lot of success stories on that market.

We could sell one set:

Front
Brembo 8 pot painted on color of choice (remanufactured).
Brake adapters S355 steel (silver galvanized)
Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 pads

Rear
Brembo 4 pot painted on color of choice (remanufactured).
Brake adapters 7075 aluminium anodized in silver
Hawk HPS brake pads

Shipping to customer door in US.

All this for 1999 usd shipped! This is one time offer. Paypal accepted.

In return I would want you to test the set and write a bigger review on the forum for people to know that we are good and reliable company and this could be start of a bigger sale.

The kit is developed and tested locally. The rear was calculated and it was in development for some time. Chris just jumped in in the final week of the works. There is some matching to the front and rear calipers for them to work on M3 OEM discs so adapters alone won't work.

Caliper service includes:
- Calipers take apart and inspected
- Every piston inspected
- Rubbers inspected and new putted if there was a need
- Grease put in to pistons
- Vent valves secured with ceramic grease
- Calipers sand blasted
- Powder coated on the color of customer choice

Calipers are perfect condition. Never have been burned. From technical point of view they are as good as new. We have a good source of them form Germany. We can also provide new calipers but the price is much higher then.

For the full set above I would recommend getting steel brake lines for front and rear and putting new brake fluid. The car that the BBK would be put should have good discs not worn to much.

Our other set for M3 E46
https://www.akmotorsport.net/shop/bi...rs-360mm-disc/

Was tested at Nürburgring recently and the tests results where amazing. The car performed flawless and braking was very reliable all the time.

We have the front set on two E92 M3 ... but they did not go to the ring yet. On Polish Poznan race track they also did very good. Map of the track here http://www.tptd.pl/images/plan%20toru.jpg

Just to tell you bit about our background. Me and my business partner are racing in semi pro racing league in Poland. Attaching pic of my car bellow - Audi S2 Quattro 450 HP. So we do know bit about braking

Kuba finished Faculty of Automotive and Construction Machinery University and worked over 10 years in companies: GE, Boeing and Michelin as an engineer. We both quit our corporate jobs some time ago and now are expanding our own business and do what we love the most and do the best. We do all the design in 3D CAD software and test the parts for week points.

Also check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AKMotorsport.net/ with some reviews.

Right now we are developing parts for to Lancer EVOs for rallying. Attaching some pics bellow.

We are two engineers who want to offer good products at fair price to end customers.

Is someone willing to be guinea pig on here ?

I anyone would have some technical questions we are open for discussion.

Best,

Albert

ps. We just finished yesterday a front and rear kit for E92 335i with M3 front and rear discs.
Is this pricing only for the Guinea pig tester or is it set for production price?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #31
albertracing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
Is this pricing only for the Guinea pig tester or is it set for production price?
This is the price for the first set for testing, evaluation and forum review only. The price does not reflect the total cost of the kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertracing View Post
This is the price for the first set for testing, evaluation and forum review only. The price does not reflect the total cost of the kit.

How much is the total cost going to be?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #33
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this right now and be the guinea pig tester at $1999. That's a fantastic price. The Nuerburgring is literally an hour and 15 min drive from here, so I would be more than happy to test these out for you and do a full review. Unfortunately I think with the weather in Germany being so cold, it would be difficult to get to the track for much longer.

Someone better jump on this before I do. In all honesty, not sure this is in my budget right now, but if you were offering this same deal in 4 or 5 months I would be sending you PayPal.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #34
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

You can get some made through HEL, it takes less then a week from order to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #35
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How much is the total cost going to be?
Per his email which I quoted on the 1st page, the total cost is €2195 plus shipping (roughly $2500 at today's exchange rate). This includes brake lines, and a different set of pads than he is quoting above though.

Quote:
I know thats not a major problem but he is not offering stainless steal brake lines. I would need to buy those separately.
I missed that brake lines weren't included. Not a big deal, they are cheap, so $500+ discount is still pretty good.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 10-18-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #36
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

My humble opinion: A big brake setup that does not include larger/vented rotors for heat capacity/dissipation doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me. Otherwise, if you're not upgrading the rotors, one could truly realize improved braking performance with sticky tires, upgraded pad compound, and ducting to the rotors (in that order, too). If it is for aesthetics, I am all for it, but I do not believe it would be much of an upgrade, if at all, on the track. Any true delta to be had will be in the different, more heat resistant pad compounds when you get the new calipers.

I do think it's cool that they are offering the reduced pricing to the first reviewer/purchaser though. Very pro-business. I hope to hear impressions of the system, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #37
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Question: what is it about the OEM rotors that make people think they will overheat and fail with these Brembos, or that they are otherwise not capable of handling 4 pads per rotor?

Not trying to be a smartass or a know it all, because I know as much about the physics of braking as I do about Chemistry, but IMHO FWIW, these rotors will do just fine with these calipers on the track for light-moderate use. For daily street use, I can't see any issues whatsoever. Am I saying to throw these on and go to the Neurburgring and do 10 consecutive laps? No, absolutely not. Yes, this setup would be well suited by a set of 380mm slotted rotors, but to think that these rotors will overheat and crack on the track is pretty far fetched to me. Are our stock rotors really that poorly designed that they can't handle any track use with an upgraded caliper? I am asking a serious question, because I don't know..what makes them so inferior? OEM Gallardo rotors (what these were designed for) are IIRC 365mm, where OEM M3 is 360mm. Thats a difference in diameter of roughly 2/10 of an inch. Not a huge difference. The two rotors are of a similar design (both cross drilled) and both cars are similar in weight (I think the M3 is maybe 200-300 lbs heavier), but the Gallardo has a lot more hp and tq, which requires more braking power to slow down. Everyone remains skeptical though. I just don't understand.

Like the seller stated above, crunching the numbers to see what looks good on paper and testing it out IRL to see what works on the track are two different things and this setup has been tested on the track. As I stated in my OP, there is a guy local to me that has a similar setup (Gallardo fronts and 911 rears). I don't know what rotors he is running for sure, but when I saw his car they looked like OEM M3 rotors. He has nothing but good things to say about his brake setup, and he tracks his car.

I am working with the seller to see if we can do a Group Buy for these to get a discounted price. If he says no, or no one is interested I will likely just take him up on his offer for $1999 shipped. People have cried for a long time that they want a BBK (and 7/10 times it's just for looks) but no one wants to spend BBK money. Finally someone has offered a great looking affordable bolt on BBK and people find faults in it without even trying it. Can you get a better BBK with 380mm discs that will perform better for hard track use? Sure, if you want to spend the $$$. But for 90% of people in the market for a BBK for this car, I suspect this setup will suit them just fine. And if it doesn't? Upgrade the rotors and you are still well below the price of a Brembo GT setup, even a used one.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 10-18-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #38
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

rotors get rid of the heat. thats their primary job. calipers transform energy into heat. thats their primary job. you'll have to decide if this is right for you and your application.
      10-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #39
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Edited.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 11-11-2015 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #40
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Edited my previous post. The seller got back to me a day after I posted. He is still honoring the deal he proposed, and I am going to take him up on it probably late December and install this winter. Ill let everyone know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #41
Wes4President
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' Alpine M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Edited my previous post. The seller got back to me a day after I posted. He is still honoring the deal he proposed, and I am going to take him up on it probably late December and install this winter. Ill let everyone know how it goes.
Man I can't wait to see the turn out because I really only want them for looks and don't plan on frequently tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #42
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

did some quick calcs re: piston area.

OEM w/60mm front, 46mm rear pistons = 2827mm2 (f) / 1661mm2 (r)
Lambo/porsche setup = 2839 mm2 (f) / 1322mm2 (r)

Basically, if you go with this kit, you will move the bias to the front. Based on the piston area, there would be no bias change using the front kit only.

Edit:
Lambo/Porsche calc is wrong, only calculated half of each calliper...do'h.

So no, front kit alone is probably not a great idea.

Last edited by apecush; 11-16-2015 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
did some quick calcs re: piston area.

OEM w/60mm front, 46mm rear pistons = 2827mm2 (f) / 1661mm2 (r)
Lambo/porsche setup = 2839 mm2 (f) / 1322mm2 (r)

Basically, if you go with this kit, you will move the bias to the front. Based on the piston area, there would be no bias change using the front kit only.
While I appreciate the work you put into this, it's all greek to me. I know very little about brake bias, but isn't there much more that goes into brake bias than piston size? ..such as master cylinder diameter, rotor size, pad size, line pressure, etc? I figured brake bias would be much more difficult to calculate than that, and while most variables would remain the same for both setups (bar piston qty and size) the pad size and lines would be changing as well, which could very well change your results once factored in.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 11-14-2015 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #44
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Hydraulics is simple. Total piston area in a caliper determines pressure for a given pedal input. Master cylinder bias is static and designed to achieve an overall bias given the caliper piston sizes. All other things (pad type, caliper stiffness, rotor size, etc.) equal, swapping f/r calipers with similar piston area to the originals should not change bias or feel.
Appreciate 0