BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
Damaged Bumper + Wrap Issue

I wanted to see what you guys thought about this issue:

Recently I got backed into outside my work, and the guy was awesome enough to leave a note, and everything has been pretty smooth sailing– I've been super thankful that this whole thing hasn't had to come out of pocket. Bumper repairs are done, and it's got the base Jerez black paint on it. (As a side note, Farmers has been super easy to deal with.)

At the moment, my car has a wrap on it that has been that has been there for about a year and has seen a little bit of sun. As you might imagine, the color has faded a little bit- and now with a newly wrapped bumper, it will look two-toned. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to see how bad it will be, but both I and the shop doing the wrap agree that it will be different. Seeing as there isn't any way to color match that difference, really the only answer seems to be to re-wrap the whole car (and ideally have the insurance fit the bill)?

I know that might be excessive/optimistic thinking, but I really don't see why I should be left with a two-toned car? Aren't the insurance companies responsible for returning it to it's state prior to the accident? Am I crazy for thinking that/ anyone have any experience with this?

And again, I'm super thankful for how things have turned out to this point, but don't want to fit the bill for a full re-wrap unless I have to.
      01-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

The wrap is aftermarket i'd be shocked if they foot the bill for that. Pretty sure they'll only cover the factory stuff.
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
^ Agreed but you can certainly discuss with the Insurance Appraiser.

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
RedNeck_D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, MKI MR2, Harley 48

Insurance companies and the repair shop are responceable for repairing the car to factory specs. The fact that they're willing to rewrap the bumper is nice of them. I would not hold my breath on the whole car. I see this all the time in the collision center I work at. If you complain enough to the insurance then maybe they will just do it to get you off their back.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Insurance is responsbile regardless as OP is a 3rd party claimant. His insurnace is only resposible for OEM, but if someone hits you, they have to make you pre-loss condition. I doubt they'll re-wrap the car, but after you do the one panel, show them (insurance company) and if there is a large variance they may elect to wrap more of the car. IMO wrapping more is cheaper to insurnace than having to paint the car. good luck!@
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
Insurance is responsbile regardless as OP is a 3rd party claimant. His insurnace is only resposible for OEM, but if someone hits you, they have to make you pre-loss condition. I doubt they'll re-wrap the car, but after you do the one panel, show them (insurance company) and if there is a large variance they may elect to wrap more of the car. IMO wrapping more is cheaper to insurnace than having to paint the car. good luck!@
See, this is what I thought. If it was my own insurance and I never told them about any aftermarket additions to my car, then I would never expect them to cover it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've thankfully never been in an accident and had to deal with insurance companies/claims, so this is all pretty new to me.

Last edited by onnex; 01-28-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
interesting... I always thought you were just screwed
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Probably not going to happen short of litigation.
Appreciate 0