BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #9549
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

has anyone completely removed the plastic cover beyond the air filters that the burger motorsports filters replace? i know the side opposite of the brake reservoir is electronics... is that box sealed pretty good, or does it need that other cover? i took it off the other week while messing with the strut braces and it seemed kinda lame. i'd like to get rid of it all together, but the front end of my car is becoming more and more inviting to water.
      06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #9550
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
has anyone completely removed the plastic cover beyond the air filters that the burger motorsports filters replace? i know the side opposite of the brake reservoir is electronics... is that box sealed pretty good, or does it need that other cover? i took it off the other week while messing with the strut braces and it seemed kinda lame. i'd like to get rid of it all together, but the front end of my car is becoming more and more inviting to water.

So my generic response would be this: BMW puts that plastic cover there for a reason. I'm not accusing you of this, but sometimes I get the sense from owners on forums that they assume OEMs are staffed with complete retards who don't know what they're doing. Every piece is carefully designed and tested, and serves a specific purpose.

Sometimes that purpose is one that isn't particularly important to an owner, especially one who is using the car on a race track. Other times it is critical to safety or basic operation of the car. Best example I can come up with right now is the belly pan. There are so many people who kept parroting the idea that it's stupid and you should just remove it -- yet it is critical to managing airflow under the hood AND to protect belts and other parts of the engine from debris.

That being said, my gut tells me those plastic parts are partially for NVH in the cabin, but largely to provide additional barriers for water and debris, and potentially engine heat. You could probably test this pretty easily with a quick test drive.

Last edited by dparm; 06-13-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      06-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #9551
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

right. i'm in the same mindset, thats why i'm being critical of my urge to take it off. more air flow out of the "cowl" area.
there are so many people running around with beat to shit undertrays that when someone posts up about their warm track temps i'm always asking "hows your undertray looking?"
i'm sort of thinking its just there to cover the ugly stuff and cover the transition into the windshield.
i know dogbone doesn't run his, but he is car is trailer kept and only sees track days.
      06-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #9552
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
right. i'm in the same mindset, thats why i'm being critical of my urge to take it off. more air flow out of the "cowl" area.
there are so many people running around with beat to shit undertrays that when someone posts up about their warm track temps i'm always asking "hows your undertray looking?"
i'm sort of thinking its just there to cover the ugly stuff and cover the transition into the windshield.
i know dogbone doesn't run his, but he is car is trailer kept and only sees track days.

It might also be protecting the edge of the windshield and directing air for proper aerodynamics + windshield wiper operation.
      06-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #9553
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Plus without it you will be pulling unfiltered air into the cabin / HVAC. I decided to leave mine in place for filtration and to protect everything beneath it.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #9554
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, mine's off. Annnnnd so is pretty much everything else in the car.....Well, I did leave the [gutted] dash and center console because I like them!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #9555
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:
Plus without it you will be pulling unfiltered air into the cabin / HVAC. I decided to leave mine in place for filtration and to protect everything beneath it.
I have the burger tuning filters... I'll have to look carefully, but does the secondary cover cap anything else?
      06-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #9556
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
they assume OEMs are staffed with complete retards who don't know what they're doing
Wait a minute, I've been operating under this assumption for the last 3 years.
      06-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #9557
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Toronto gets the chip

Ok bye
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #9558
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have the burger tuning filters... I'll have to look carefully, but does the secondary cover cap anything else?
The burger tuning filters attach to the secondary cover. Without the secondary cover there's nothing for a filter to attach to. It's just a wide open cavity. Take it off and you'll see. Water flowing down the windshield will go into places you don't want it to go. I explored this but I would not consider removing it on a car that is anything but a track car.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      06-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #9559
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

CAE shifter, yeahhhhh, life changing

You 6MT guys might be on to something here
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #9560
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Not an E92, but PrimeBMW 's S62 swapped E46 is running nice and sounds greeeeaaaaaat. Turn up the volumes. All the volumes.

Appreciate 2
PrimeBMW661.50
AP3X_FTW215.50
      06-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #9561
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Yes, but because racecar. Wouldn't advise it on a daily
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      06-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #9562
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
roast,
Can you share some more insights into these filters? And specifically what you give up by using them?

I understand the benefits (remove 10 Lbs weight and more engine noise in the cabin) but what else?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #9563
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
roast,
Can you share some more insights into these filters? And specifically what you give up by using them?

I understand the benefits (remove 10 Lbs weight and more engine noise in the cabin) but what else?
Just gets rid of the big charcoal cabin filters. It's like 5lbs. Easy access to the brake fluid, too.
Attached Images

06-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #9564
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
roast,

Just gets rid of the big charcoal cabin filters. It's like 5lbs. Easy access to the brake fluid, too.
oh.
So the issue at hand about it plastic cover that you misplaced it, or you can't find away to install it?

Better yet, can someone post picture in the secondary plastic cover in question
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #9565
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Let's be real. It's like 2 lbs . I did it too though.
      06-19-2019, 03:31 AM   #9566
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

AIM data guys, are you able to look at intake air temperature readings?
      06-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #9567
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see temp

Here are all the things the AiM BMW ecu can report on. Click on the picture to see the top. The one with the ECU is page 1. The one that starts with "MIL" is page 2.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      06-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #9568
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
AIM does not decode IAT on the BMW CAN bus. You get ambient air temps, coolant temps and oil temps. They have DCT temp listed as an option but it does not work....yet.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11574.50
      06-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #9569
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Brake pad wear question.. I had some significant tapering of my pads after some 2 days at laguna seca and 1 day at Sonoma. When I pulled them out one side was tapered down to nearly backing plate while the other side was still as thick as the backing plate.

Is this a cause for concern? Prior pads wore much more evenly. Could it be a sign of needing caliper/piston rebuild? I am running a 380mm/ 6 piston kit up front and also BBK in rear. Have run about 20-24 track days with the BBK so far and bought it lightly used
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #9570
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Brake pad wear question.. I had some significant tapering of my pads after some 2 days at laguna seca and 1 day at Sonoma. When I pulled them out one side was tapered down to nearly backing plate while the other side was still as thick as the backing plate.

Is this a cause for concern? Prior pads wore much more evenly. Could it be a sign of needing caliper/piston rebuild? I am running a 380mm/ 6 piston kit up front and also BBK in rear. Have run about 20-24 track days with the BBK so far and bought it lightly used
Let me guess, inner front passenger side is the most worn?