BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Emissions Test

Does anyone know about "six readiness codes that need to be set?"

I'm having my emissions test done for the year and was told that.
      07-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Search the forum or Google?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Does anyone know about "six readiness codes that need to be set?"

I'm having my emissions test done for the year and was told that.
did you get a code on your car?.........
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

I'm having my car worked on at the dealership and I asked them to do the safety and emissions check while it's there, and was told about the "six readiness codes that need to be set." The SA said only 4 were present and that the car would need a "drive cycle or two" in order to pass.

I assume the latter means the car needs to be driven to be warmed up to get the right sample. Not sure what the rest meant.

I was also told that there was an issue with the ODB connector and they're investigating.
      07-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm having my car worked on at the dealership and I asked them to do the safety and emissions check while it's there, and was told about the six readiness codes that need to be set. The SA said only 4 were present and that the car would need a "drive cycle or two" in order to pass.

I assume the latter means the car needs to be driven to be warmed up to get the right sample. Not sure what the rest meant.

I was also told that there was an issue with the ODB connector and they're investigating.
yes there are several codes your car need to have "ready' to pass safety and emissions test, depending on which is "not ready' you will need to drive the car a special way to get it ready.
Did they tell you which one?

you can read more here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...or-Smog-Check/
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
yes there are several codes your car need to have "ready' to pass safety and emissions test, depending on which is "not ready' you will need to drive the car a special way to get it ready.
Did they tell you which one?

you can read more here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...or-Smog-Check/
nope...didn't ask...just want the SA to get'r done.

thanks for the info, but after skimming through it, WTF is all this?

Does a M3 need to go to a dealership every time just to get the emissions test? It seems so complicated and different from how most cars just get emissions tests at a general shop.

Last edited by carenthuziast; 07-19-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
nope...didn't ask...just want the SA to get'r done.

thanks for the info, but after skimming through it, WTF is all this?

Does a M3 need to go to a dealership every time just to get the emissions test? It seems so complicated and different from how most cars just get emissions tests at a general shop.
generally if nothing is wrong with your car and it has no codes, general driving will get you through all the self checks in the car quite fne

in my case i changed DMTL Pump and fuel tank vent valve, reset the codes so I had to go through several drive cycles to get the car ready..........time ws against me, so i had to figure out exactly the steps to get the car ready, i did..........
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm having my car worked on at the dealership and I asked them to do the safety and emissions check while it's there, and was told about the "six readiness codes that need to be set." The SA said only 4 were present and that the car would need a "drive cycle or two" in order to pass.

See attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW FTP72 Drive Cycle Procedure (4).pdf (212.5 KB, 83 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
M3AN_S65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

I tried the drive cycle and was not able to get my secondary air sensor to be ready. This was after having a stroker motor installed and after driving 700 miles, it still was not ready for SMOG. I had to take it back to Dinan and remove the S3 software and installed the S1 for it to go green. Got the car smogged and then reinstalled the S3 software. It's been green ever since.

It would be nice to know which ones are not ready so you'll know which part of the drive cycle needs to be done. I ended up buying an OBD scanner to save time from having to the shop for the to check and see if it's ready. From what I've read, you can pick and choose which part of the cycle to complete depending on which codes needs to be ready. Good luck....

IG : @m3an_V8_4.6L 2013 BMW M3 E92...MCS coilover kit...Dinan exhaust...Dinan lower control arm mono-ball kit...Dinan rear toe links...Dinan front sway bar...Dinan pulley...Apex SM-10...Lux H8 V5
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
generally if nothing is wrong with your car and it has no codes, general driving will get you through all the self checks in the car quite fne

in my case i changed DMTL Pump and fuel tank vent valve, reset the codes so I had to go through several drive cycles to get the car ready..........time ws against me, so i had to figure out exactly the steps to get the car ready, i did..........
Ahhh, thanks.

My car has been in the shop, undriven, for almost 3 weeks now. It's waiting a leather seat replacement. Prior to that, it had the EDC module replaced since it was draining my battery dead. Therefore, lots of clearing out of codes. I guess it needs to build a history of driving in order to have sufficient data.
      07-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTS65 View Post
I tried the drive cycle and was not able to get my secondary air sensor to be ready. This was after having a stroker motor installed and after driving 700 miles, it still was not ready for SMOG. I had to take it back to Dinan and remove the S3 software and installed the S1 for it to go green. Got the car smogged and then reinstalled the S3 software. It's been green ever since.

It would be nice to know which ones are not ready so you'll know which part of the drive cycle needs to be done. I ended up buying an OBD scanner to save time from having to the shop for the to check and see if it's ready. From what I've read, you can pick and choose which part of the cycle to complete depending on which codes needs to be ready. Good luck....
Thanks much.
      07-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Here's what I got:
Attached Images

07-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's what I got:
Look at my attachment and it will show you how to get those ready.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Look at my attachment and it will show you how to get those ready.
Thank you.

Do you think I received those "not ready" statuses b/c I haven't driven the vehicle enough?

I took delivery of the car earlier this month and it's been in the shop twice for long durations to get things done.

I haven't even taken the car on the highway yet.
      07-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

Do you think I received those "not ready" statuses b/c I haven't driven the vehicle enough?

I took delivery of the car earlier this month and it's been in the shop twice for long durations to get things done.

Clearing fault codes or disconnecting the battery for long periods causes all the monitors to be "not ready"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Thank you.

It's possible. Best thing to do is just drive the car in a variety of situations over the course of a few weeks: stop and go, low speed in the city, highway, etc.

The readiness checks are designed so that you can't meet them by simply clearing all the codes and then driving a few blocks down the street to the testing station, hence my suggestion to just drive the car normally for a few weeks.
      07-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #17
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Very interesting about clearing fault codes. Here in Northern Virginia, they actually put emission testing machines on some major roads where the machines take a sample of your exhaust as you drive by and then take a picture of your plates. A week later, you get a notice saying whether you passed or failed the emissions test. If you pass, then you can register your vehicle for another year. If such is the case, then wouldn't this just override all these other fault code needs/issues?

My car recently had the faulty EDC module replaced, and prior to that, the battery, the negative cable, and the junction box, so clearly, all the codes have been cleared out. The EDC module was failing and not allowing my car to go to sleep so the battery was drained dead.

Last edited by carenthuziast; 07-20-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... Here in Northern Virginia, they actually put emission testing machines on some major roads where the machines take a sample of your exhaust as you drive by and then take a picture of your plates. A week later, you get a notice saying whether you passed or failed the emissions test. If you pass, then you can register your vehicle for another year...
Wow... I didn't know that. Worst than California.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #19
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Wow... I didn't know that. Worst than California.
Well, they don't crack down on you if you fail. That's not the intent.

The intent is to make it easier on the car owner such that he can get his emissions tested while the car is on the road without having to go to a service station for emissions prior to renewing registration.

Emissions tests are required every other year.