BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Fun Daily

Well I've made a recent move with work, and while a beneficial upward movement, this move will also demand more time at the office out of me. Up to this point, the pair of us have been carpooling since she has to pass by my work to get to hers. It's been great with the amount of money we save on fuel and added maintenance costs with just her Jeep and my E90 in the garage. We keep the Bimmer at home, and pile into the Jeep for daily duty. However, as I find myself staying in the office later I've come to realize that I can't have her idling out in the parking lot waiting on me to get out of a meeting.

Sure, the E90 checks just about every single box for a car that just about does it all. But with a long commute each way, I don't find it being the right car with its terrible gas mileage and higher maintenance costs. I have no interest in getting rid of the E90 and would like to continue its role of a garage car that gets taken out once or twice a week. So...enter the need for a cheaper commuter car.

I can't not have fun, so I don't see myself going after a Camry or a Prius or whichever toaster oven on wheels. I won't be buying new and would like to keep the price at $15k or possibly more if it is something worth getting CPO.

The car's needs:
Reliable and easy/cheap-ish to maintain
Good MPG (predominately highway)
Some creature comforts (Bluetooth, decent sound, relative comfort, heated seats, etc.)
Some fun and cool factor

I've thought Mini Cooper S, but I had an R53 that may have been a bit too connected to the road. Hoping newer ones are more refined and reliable?
I like the newer Miatas, but are they too go-karty? I imagine the S2000s are in the same boat
Heck, maybe I just need to pick up a clean 328 wagon?

What are your thoughts?

-Tyler
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

If you don't mind FWD, GTI would be high on my list.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Increase the budget to $35k and get a Civic Type R. Audi S3, Golf R are also 4 cylinder turbos I would look at. FWD usually does not put power down great but the Civic R is an exception and spanks the competition on a track and on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Increase the budget slightly and get a used MK7 GTi. Nippy, fun, practical, huge amount of aftermarket support (without the M tax), has all the gadgets, decent fuel economy, well built. Perfect commuter car IMO, can even get manual if you want a bit more connection. DSG gearbox has been around forever and is very reliable too.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I should mention that I had a 2012 GLI 6MT from new that ended up having issues and being bought back by VW. Part of that debacle resulted in me replacing it with a 2013.5 GLI DSG new. It was a great car until I paid it off and was about 4k beyond the warranty and the timing chain tensioner failed. Long story short, the motor grenaded, and I don't know that I could stomach buying another one.

It pains me so knowing just how perfect a GTI would be, too
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Cerberus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: econobox

Fiesta ST

Similar to the GTi but a lot more fun to drive. However, interior is cheap compared to the VW. I considered the GTi as my daily beater, but the fun factor of the FiST is unbeatable in my opinion.

Averages over 30MPG too.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

You could consider a Focus ST or Fiesta ST, although those are both a step down from the Golf IMO. Another option is a 228i, small, fun, reasonably practical, has a nice auto or manual option. You could probably get an F30 320i for a bit more. With the poverty BMW models you really are paying a lot for the badge though.

You could get a very nice E46 330i for that budget, beautiful balance, smooth engine, RWD fun. I had one before my E90, liked it a lot. Spec wise they are somewhat basic these days, and there is potential for big bills. Bit left field but what about a WRX? Great all weather machines. Whatever you chose there will be compromises, depends whats important to you really.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Increase the budget to $35k and get a Civic Type R. Audi S3, Golf R are also 4 cylinder turbos I would look at. FWD usually does not put power down great but the Civic R is an exception and spanks the competition on a track and on the highway.
Whew. I certainly cannot justify more than doubling my initial budget for this car. I would say low $20k's would be my limit for the A to B duty.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

If you don't need a back seat, but want something economical and highly reliable, yet still a blast to drive... I would recommend going for a Honda s2000.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Fiesta ST

Similar to the GTi but a lot more fun to drive. However, interior is cheap compared to the VW. I considered the GTi as my daily beater, but the fun factor of the FiST is unbeatable in my opinion.

Averages over 30MPG too.
The Fiesta has come across my desk. It seems like such a comical car, but it certainly has a lot of pluses. I'll dig a bit more into it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
You could consider a Focus ST or Fiesta ST, although those are both a step down from the Golf IMO. Another option is a 228i, small, fun, reasonably practical, has a nice auto or manual option. You could probably get an F30 320i for a bit more. With the poverty BMW models you really are paying a lot for the badge though.

You could get a very nice E46 330i for that budget, beautiful balance, smooth engine, RWD fun. I had one before my E90, liked it a lot. Spec wise they are somewhat basic these days, and there is potential for big bills. Bit left field but what about a WRX? Great all weather machines. Whatever you chose there will be compromises, depends whats important to you really.
I'd like to step away from the BMW badge in all honesty. While the M tax isn't there, the closely followed Bimmer tax is there. The cheap to maintain Jeep we have has been a big plus in my book. I'd love to drive a clean E30 or 2002 every day, but I think the lack of refinement would grow old quick.

Feel free to talk me into a GTI or Golf R. Believe me, I WANT to want it. Even after the two duds of GLIs, we wanted to buy the Golf Sportwagen. After two back to back with leaking sunroofs, I gave up on VW.

The Subaru idea has also popped in my head. We don't get snow, but if we have an issue we have the Jeep, so the bonuses of a Subie are not necessary. The BRZ wouldn't be bad, but I'm also not a 20 year old drifter, so...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Another consideration I've had is a lease. I've never actually done one before and would be concerned about mileage restrictions. What loop holes and deals are out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstreet86 View Post
If you don't need a back seat, but want something economical and highly reliable, yet still a blast to drive... I would recommend going for a Honda s2000.
I hear they're a hoot. How would it be for daily use, though? They shine in their simplicity.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Whew. I certainly cannot justify more than doubling my initial budget for this car. I would say low $20k's would be my limit for the A to B duty.
I’d spend the money on the car I drive instead of the one I don’t drive, but that’s me. I want a 991.1TT PDK so I can drive it all the time including in heavy traffic (not that there’s much of it in NH) and in winter in snow. Then I can park my beat up manual turbo 99M3 and maybe turn my manual 08M3 into a track car, but will sell both if I just end up driving them occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm daily driving a 2000 civic that gets 28mpg and i can drive the m3 on some days.

The compromise is working for now since it's just driving and I can mix it up. Maybe that's an option?

I've contemplated the s2000 and newer miatas, but nothing compares to the m3 and that's what makes it difficult. I can't justify spending a lot on gas either so beater civic it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1d190321
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
The Fiesta has come across my desk. It seems like such a comical car, but it certainly has a lot of pluses. I'll dig a bit more into it. Thanks.

I'd like to step away from the BMW badge in all honesty. While the M tax isn't there, the closely followed Bimmer tax is there. The cheap to maintain Jeep we have has been a big plus in my book. I'd love to drive a clean E30 or 2002 every day, but I think the lack of refinement would grow old quick.

Feel free to talk me into a GTI or Golf R. Believe me, I WANT to want it. Even after the two duds of GLIs, we wanted to buy the Golf Sportwagen. After two back to back with leaking sunroofs, I gave up on VW.

The Subaru idea has also popped in my head. We don't get snow, but if we have an issue we have the Jeep, so the bonuses of a Subie are not necessary. The BRZ wouldn't be bad, but I'm also not a 20 year old drifter, so...
Go test drive them!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I had a FiST, they are a blast. My vote goes for the FiST..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

My M3 is a garage queen but I drive her most every day I'm not working. My daily is a 2017 Hyundai Veloster Turbo. This car is great. I dont have navigation or the sunroof package and I was able to get one new for $21500 with a bunch of rebates that were available. I did have to install a rear sway bar because the rear end liked to jiggle on certain highway roads. Other than that I've been very happy with her. Great warranty and the build quality of Hyundai cars has gone way way up.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
vegaseric
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

I like the FiST and Focus ST as well. Low cost of entry and both are a lot of fun.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’d spend the money on the car I drive instead of the one I don’t drive, but that’s me. I want a 991.1TT PDK so I can drive it all the time including in heavy traffic (not that there’s much of it in NH) and in winter in snow. Then I can park my beat up manual turbo 99M3 and maybe turn my manual 08M3 into a track car, but will sell both if I just end up driving them occasionally.
Money still goes into the M3

I will say that I sometimes wish I had an auto/DSG/notevengoingtoputPDKherebecauseIcan'taffordit. It is a downfall because she can't/won't drive the three pedals, so she's stuck with the Jeep exclusively. I just don't know what I would want to drive that comes in an auto unless I just said screw it and went the route of getting a super reliable Honda Accord or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm daily driving a 2000 civic that gets 28mpg and i can drive the m3 on some days.

The compromise is working for now since it's just driving and I can mix it up. Maybe that's an option?

I've contemplated the s2000 and newer miatas, but nothing compares to the m3 and that's what makes it difficult. I can't justify spending a lot on gas either so beater civic it is.
Maybe it is the right option. My heart wants something fun, but my brain says no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Say no to VW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Go test drive them!
I'm at the list compiling stage right now. Then it will be a "fun" day at the dealerships!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I had a FiST, they are a blast. My vote goes for the FiST..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaseric View Post
I like the FiST and Focus ST as well. Low cost of entry and both are a lot of fun.
Great idea on the Fiesta ST. I completely forgot about those things. They can be had hardly used well within budget, and I see some incentives on brand new that isn't far off. Heck, my local Ford dealership has $7k off MSRP their entire Focus ST inventory before you even get into negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSurratt2005 View Post
My M3 is a garage queen but I drive her most every day I'm not working. My daily is a 2017 Hyundai Veloster Turbo. This car is great. I dont have navigation or the sunroof package and I was able to get one new for $21500 with a bunch of rebates that were available. I did have to install a rear sway bar because the rear end liked to jiggle on certain highway roads. Other than that I've been very happy with her. Great warranty and the build quality of Hyundai cars has gone way way up.
I'll have to give the Hyundais another run. My friend has a 2011-ish Sonata that I remember not being a pleasant place to be riding shotgun

Keep the suggestions coming! What are people's thoughts on a lease for someone that puts a decent amount of miles on a year? I'd say just to commute back and forth from work with a random trip thrown in infrequently I'd be seeing 18-20k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #20
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

In that price range, I'd certainly be considering an R56 Cooper S or E91 328, though admittedly I'd want something a little different to my E90 since that's already in the garage. I always thought the R56 was a great balance between fun and creature comforts. The GTI is always the sensible choice, I think...but the MKVII is still out of reach at that price point.

I maintain that my best daily was my ZHP, though prices for a good one seem to command quite the premium. Hard to ever cross the ZHP off of a fun daily list!

Last edited by IND-Distribution; 08-07-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

R56 is pretty entertaining
GTi is also a pretty good option
New Civic Si will be entertaining

So far the best daily I've had is either the E46 M3 or the 330Ci. The 330 was manual, RWD, sporty, powerful enough to have fun, great mileage, cheap to maintain

One of my little sisters have a F56 Mini Cooper, the turbo one with 3 cylinders and I find it tons of fun to drive! You have to wring it out but it has proper dynamics and encourages you to drive with momentum. It's a metric boatload of fun
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
It really depends on how many miles you drive.

I've put 100k on the 330, 100k on the e46 M3, 60k on the X5, 38k on the E92 m3, 30k on the E90 M3 over 7 years.

With that many miles, you cannot drive a M car all the time because you can't put 400k on one.
Appreciate 0