BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
calidiplomat05
Rep
Drives: 13 M3

Smile New M3 Owner - Quick questions about parking brake and other things

Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2013 E92 M3 and am glad to be part of the community. I wanted to ask a few questions. They may seem silly, but appreciate any input. The car has 7,000 miles and is DCT.

1. The parking brake seems pretty finicky. I was waiting in line at a touch less car wash and had it pulled up a few clicks (probably 3-4). When it was my turn I forgot it was up and drove into the wash, maybe 10-20 feet pumping the gas and going pretty slow (maybe 5-10 mph). I noticed the car needed some more gas to get it going and then realized the parking brake was engaged when I stopped in the wash bay, so I put it back down.

Afterwards I tested it out on a hill in Neutral: 1-4 clicks the car seems to still kind of roll, but higher than that and it holds firm. It's like the first initial pull on the handle with little force stops at about 4 clicks, then you have to pull a little harder to get it to go up higher (if that makes sense). The car will not move if it is pulled up higher than 4 clicks. Below 5 clicks it can move a little. Is this normal? Could any damage to the parking brake have been caused from giving it gas to get it moving about 10-20 feet into the wash at about 5-10mph?

2. Is there a way to set the "Power" mode to be on every time the car is started?

3. Just got the scheduled brake service done and the car came with the BMW performance metal pedals. The pedal makes kind of a spongey noise. It's pretty subtle, but just thought I'd ask. It feels ok, just the noise.

4. Do you guys use fuel system/injector cleaner additive in your tank every once in awhile? Techron or gum out etc.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by calidiplomat05; 01-29-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
answer to question 2) yes, you can set that in you Idrive under M-settings, I believe.
      01-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

If the parking brakes are set and works then you're all good. If the car doesn't move when the brakes are engage then you're fine. Just learn from your mistakes.

As for Q2, NO

Welcome to the the ///M3 family and put some gawd damn miles on that high rev V8
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
calidiplomat05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
If the parking brakes are set and works then you're all good. If the car doesn't move when the brakes are engage then you're fine. Just learn from your mistakes.

As for Q2, NO

Welcome to the the ///M3 family and put some gawd damn miles on that high rev V8
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

As for Q2, NO

Actually that is not correct. You can have the car default to start on Sport but not Sport+. You just need to go to the M drive settings and click to the right. You will be able to adjust some of the default settings.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632914

As for the parking brake, if you need to pull it up with excessive force before the car is held firmly in place then you probably need to adjust it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453084
      01-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
1. Your parking brake is normal.

2. For the default Power mode at start-up (can be saved as individual start-up settings for each key fob:

(from the supplemental manual, page 22)
M key settings
For the remote control currently in use, you can
set your preferred program for the M Engine
Dynamics Control, the Electronic Damper Control
EDC and the Shift Lights. These presets are
called up when the engine is started.
1. "Settings"
2. "M Drive"
3. Move the controller to the right repeatedly
until the "Options" menu is selected.
The available functions are displayed:
> "POWER:" M Engine Dynamics Control programs, refer to page 31 below
> "EDC:"
>"Shift lights:"

The concept (page 31)
With M Engine Dynamics Control you can influence
how sportily your vehicle should respond
to movements of the accelerator.
You can select between two programs, or three
programs with M Drive.
"Normal" program
In the "Normal" program, the engine responds
gently to accelerator movements, which is ideal
for city traffic or on snow, for example.
"Sport" program
The "Sport" program provides for a more spontaneous
response of the engine to accelerator
movements.
"Sport Plus"* program
In the "Sport Plus" program, the engine
responds to accelerator movements with high
spontaneity and uncompromising sportiness.
The "Sport Plus" program can only be activated
via M Drive, refer to M Drive on page 21.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ

As for Q2, NO

Wrong. The Power button hasn't been turned off in my car since the day I got it. It can be stored in the key.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
Wrong. The Power button hasn't been turned off in my car since the day I got it. It can be stored in the key.
right but he's asking if it can be left on prrmantely. However, power will not activate or become engaged until the M button is pressed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
right but he's asking if it can be left on prrmantely. However, power will not activate or become engaged until the M button is pressed
Nope, once saved as outlined above, mine powers up every time in "Sport" mode (Power button light is on).

I'll admit it is confusing because there are settings tied to each key fob and then there are the settings only engaged by pressing the "M" button. Only "Power", "EDC" and the "Shift Light" settings are tied to a key fob and automatically engaged for you every time you start the car with that key. The "DSC" traction control mode, Servotronic steering mode, and "Drivelogic" shift mode are not individually settable to the key fob.

Last edited by Beemdog; 01-29-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Slightly off topic, but i used the power button for a while bc I had a Z4 previously and it really made a difference in the feel With the 3.0 in that car. With the M3 though, I quit using it. Makes the car too jerky, especially on track, in my opinion. It's fun sometimes so I like to leave it off And use it sparingly when the conditions warrant. Not like it adds hp, just makes the throttle more sensitive. Since the car is new have some fun with it but consider turning it off after a few weeks. You won't miss it and when you do use it the car will "feel" faster. Just my opinion though. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
Wrong again lol. My cars Power light is on EVERY TIME my engine is on, even when my M button is not pressed.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
calidiplomat05
Rep

Thanks for all the responses. I added a few more. Really great to hear everyone's insight around this amazing machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
calidiplomat05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Actually that is not correct. You can have the car default to start on Sport but not Sport+. You just need to go to the M drive settings and click to the right. You will be able to adjust some of the default settings.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632914

As for the parking brake, if you need to pull it up with excessive force before the car is held firmly in place then you probably need to adjust it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453084
I'll check out that link when I'm not on mobile. It isn't excessive force, just about 4 clicks, but takes a little pull. I've experienced to cars where you can just lightly click it Few times and the parking brake fully engaged, but those cars may have actually been too tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
calidiplomat05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Slightly off topic, but i used the power button for a while bc I had a Z4 previously and it really made a difference in the feel With the 3.0 in that car. With the M3 though, I quit using it. Makes the car too jerky, especially on track, in my opinion. It's fun sometimes so I like to leave it off And use it sparingly when the conditions warrant. Not like it adds hp, just makes the throttle more sensitive. Since the car is new have some fun with it but consider turning it off after a few weeks. You won't miss it and when you do use it the car will "feel" faster. Just my opinion though. Enjoy.
I might try it with it off. You're right, it does tend to jerk like hell under light, slightly variable acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
calidiplomat05
Rep

anyone other input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidiplomat05 View Post
anyone other input is appreciated!
If you're really concerned Id just have the bmw tech feel it since your under warranty...worse case he says it's fine or normal and you waste 20min at the dealership or he may assume it needs a new shoe and just replace it and you won't have to worry...I believe there are some tunes out there that can start the car in different settings like D3 instead of S3 things like that but as far as I know S3 (power off) is default...only edc defaults can be changed...but you can program the M button however you like so start the car and press M mode and you'll have you're own default...I don't use fuel additives I just use 93 octane but I believe not everywhere within the US has 93 available
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
california
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black E93 BMW M3

My power button comes on when I turn on the car and I actually want to know how to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by california View Post
My power button comes on when I turn on the car and I actually want to know how to turn it off.
Follow the same steps as listed in a previous post but you change your setting to Normal
Appreciate 0