BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #45
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
2009550iMSport Do you have surround view cameras in your car? If yes, then the front bumper left/cameras are working well with the camera button? My only fear is, that this feature will not work correctly..
I don’t, unfortunately. Do you have this as an OEM option? I imagine it will work fine. There are different settings in there you can set to your personal needs. But I have no experience with anything other than the backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #46
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by priebe3 View Post
Yeah that's probably the way to go. I didn't realize this box gave you dynamic guidelines. Plus it sounds like this would give me the option to add front or side cameras down the line.

Just using Mr12Volt would also definitely make things a lot cleaner. I was starting to wonder how I was going to fit the new box plus the emulator and all that wiring inside the dash.
The awesome thing about this kit is they’ve eliminated the need for a bulky quadlok adapter at the rear! The only connection it makes with the rear of the head unit is for the LVDS display and the MOST connection. Other than those two connections, the Mr12Volt box does the rest through the iDrive connector. It draws its 12v+ power, ground, and taps into canbus all from the iDrive controller! It’s such a clean install, makes you wonder why the other companies didnt think of this. So no need to worry about getting any of that crap crammed behind your head unit. 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #47
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
I think the video quality of the camera speaks for itself. Option D isn’t 1920x1080p, it’s 1280x720p with a fisheye 170° lens. That where it says 1080p was part of the name of the advertisement that I copied and pasted from the AliExpress app. Sorry, that was a bit misleading. Make sure you select option D!

I have tried 4 different cameras personally, and this is the best one by far. This is the highest resolution you can achieve via an analogue source. It may be a bit higher resolution than the CIC display, but so what? What that means is the only limitation is the CIC’s resolution, and the image coming from the camera will be more than sufficient for the display. Also, this camera has great a nighttime picture. Most of them are garbage in the dark. This one isn’t all that bad.

Also, it’s cheap. Half the price of another one I tried that was rubbish.

Option D. ��

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtO8IZz
Many thanks for all of the really helpful insight.

I am just ordering everything now, although struggling with selecting "Option D" on the Aliexpress website!

I have emailed you separately regarding the mic splitter.

One question - are the parking trajectory lines dynamic, driven by steering angle input, or are they derived from image motion, by a bit of clever processing?

Last edited by Tony B; 08-29-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #48
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you get a kit that was pre-coded for your VIN including FSC codes for NAV activation?

I have had 4 BMWs with CCC, and I ended up retrofitting each one with CIC. I never regretted it, even when the cost was much more expensive than it is today. CIC is a much more stable system in just about every single way. It also has the added benefit of making your car feel a decade newer. I wouldn’t mess with the CCC version of this, personally, but that factors in my hatred for CCC. Also, the CCC display is low resolution and wouldn’t look very good with CarPlay, in my opinion. This box is somehow able to make the CIC’s display look to be a higher resolution than it actually is. I am thoroughly impressed.

I know I’ve been hyping this box up like crazy, but i want you all to understand that I am not the type to do that on a whim. This system really is just absolutely amazing. You will not regret it. I have never been this satisfied with any aftermarket part for my car, of any kind.
I ordered it from one of the members in this group. He precoded it for me to my vin and I'm in the process of install. I have done all the preliminary stuff. I hope it turns out well. The CIC headhunt devin sent me has HD radio and SiriusXM built in. It has a 10/2010 build date and the screen has a 09/2011 build date. Devin sent all the wires and the MOST loop for the HD Radio Unit in the trunk. I preordered the MR12Volt so I will NOT be able to install all at the same time. Do you think I should wait until it arrives?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #49
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Many thanks for all of the really helpful insight.

I am just ordering everything now, although struggling with selecting "Option D" on the Aliexpress website!

I have emailed you separately regarding the mic splitter.

One question - are the parking trajectory lines dynamic, driven by steering angle input, or are they derived from image motion, by a bit of clever processing?
Ignore the parking guidelines in any of the camera literature. All aftermarket cameras include an optional overlay of a parking grid line, but it is stationary and won’t be used in this application. I believe there is another camera option that lists dynamic guidelines built in to the camera - stay away from that.

Ask yourself this: how can a camera have dynamic guidelines that move with the steering wheel if there is no way for the two to communicate? Any camera that says it has that ability is full of it. The dynamic guidelines are a feature of the Mr12Volt interface, not the camera. The steering input is provided via canbus to the box. The camera’s only connection is the video signal.

Option D. If you pick something else and it doesn’t work, that’s on you.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2021, 10:52 PM   #50
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
I ordered it from one of the members in this group. He precoded it for me to my vin and I'm in the process of install. I have done all the preliminary stuff. I hope it turns out well. The CIC headhunt devin sent me has HD radio and SiriusXM built in. It has a 10/2010 build date and the screen has a 09/2011 build date. Devin sent all the wires and the MOST loop for the HD Radio Unit in the trunk. I preordered the MR12Volt so I will NOT be able to install all at the same time. Do you think I should wait until it arrives?
I would go ahead and get CIC set up first. You’ll want to have that all squared away before you add this in the mix.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #51
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ignore the parking guidelines in any of the camera literature. All aftermarket cameras include an optional overlay of a parking grid line, but it is stationary and won’t be used in this application. I believe there is another camera option that lists dynamic guidelines built in to the camera - stay away from that.

Ask yourself this: how can a camera have dynamic guidelines that move with the steering wheel if there is no way for the two to communicate? Any camera that says it has that ability is full of it. The dynamic guidelines are a feature of the Mr12Volt interface, not the camera. The steering input is provided via canbus to the box. The camera’s only connection is the video signal.

Option D. If you pick something else and it doesn’t work, that’s on you.
Agreed - for any dynamic lines to be driven by steering angle there has to be some communication between the car and the video processing.

I have ordered Option D, as recommended. My only challenge was navigating the not-very-intuitive Aliexpress interface, where the Option selection was shown as a “colour” option.

Digression Alert: I have seen a single camera solution which appears to offer a “birds eye” view for reverse parking, through I assume very clever image processing.

Anyway - now looking forward to receiving all the bits of kit, as I have been delaying my jump on this AA/Reverse Camera business for way too long....
      08-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #52
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
I don’t, unfortunately. Do you have this as an OEM option? I imagine it will work fine. There are different settings in there you can set to your personal needs. But I have no experience with anything other than the backup camera.
Yes. My car has an OEM surrond view (S5DLA) from factory, but i've a BMW F10.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #53
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Quote:

The dynamic parking lines do work (on e9x m3s atleast). They work on my e92 m3 with the 12Volt unit and my e90 m3 with the Andream touch screen.

The unit does the processing and overlays the lines based on data from the canbus interface.

But I also can't really say how accurate the lines are, honestly I don't really pay attention to them that much, I still like to turn and check surroundings and don't trust only the camera view 100%. I really only look at the camera view to see how far I am from a curb/object.

This is a video of the Andrew rear camera view, I don't have one of the 12volt unit as yet. The 12volt view is stretched to full screen, maybe because my E92 doesn't have PDC like the E90 does.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8crqFd2ZXak7qgU7

Last edited by tdott; 08-30-2021 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #54
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Good news - I got a 20% discount, on the $379 price...
      08-31-2021, 01:52 AM   #55
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Good news - I got a 20% discount, on the $379 price...
Does anyone know when they will ship these?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:48 AM   #56
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. After following this thread, I decided to pull the trigger on this Mr12Volt unit. I've also reached out to 2009550iMSport to get one of those mic splitter cables (thanks for dealing with this bit of the process for all of us here, man) and I joined the club of those that will either, be super happy sometime in October or really mad and trying to get my money back. Time will tell. At least we know the unit exists, it's just a matter of trusting that the vendor can get some more in a month or so. Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hi everyone. Have a great day. Daro.
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      08-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #57
tty33
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Tonight I finished installing the unit. I used the supplied mic from the new Carsera batch, as it integrates a bit nicer than the one from Mr12Volt. Too bad it turns out it doesn't work...

Unfortunately, my new Carsera unit didn't include the mic splitter, so now I'm one of 2009550iMSport's many customers

The other issue I have is that the unit turns on perfectly fine with one car key, but with the second one I do get to select CD1, but then I only see Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, and nothing happens when I press them.

Other than these issues, I am extremely happy with the unit. Finally a proper interface to access podcasts, music, and audiobooks on my iPhone. The audio quality is indeed awesome, and it is incredibly fast.

Thanks to all of you who provided the walkthroughs, tips, and for doing all the research!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #58
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

As more people are getting these in, I'm curious where people have been mounting them. 2009550iMSport mounted it above the glovebox, but thats in an E60, so I don't know how well that works in the e9x

Have people tried mounting behind the hvac controls where folks mounted the other brand units?

I'm thinking about where to mount it, and I want to be able to easily access it to do firmware updates. I also want to ensure that the unit is solidly mounted. I don't want it sliding around or creating rattles.

Might consider an SD card extender for such a thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #59
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tty33 View Post

The other issue I have is that the unit turns on perfectly fine with one car key, but with the second one I do get to select CD1, but then I only see Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, and nothing happens when I press them.
This is really odd. I know some settings are tied to a specific key. For example, I've heard that mirror position can be tied to a particular key. (I've not personally verified this, just something I've read). I wonder if that has something to do with it, and there is some way to work around this.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:37 PM   #60
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
As more people are getting these in, I'm curious where people have been mounting them. 2009550iMSport mounted it above the glovebox, but thats in an E60, so I don't know how well that works in the e9x

Have people tried mounting behind the hvac controls where folks mounted the other brand units?

I'm thinking about where to mount it, and I want to be able to easily access it to do firmware updates. I also want to ensure that the unit is solidly mounted. I don't want it sliding around or creating rattles.

Mine is firmly wedged into the gap between the CIC cage and the passenger footwell. Is it pretty? No. Does it rattle? Not at all. Seems to be fine for heat dissipation as well - I've done 6 hours of driving with Android Auto Wireless and not a single issue.

The unit is unfortunately a few mm too thick to fit behind the HVAC controls whether the Carsara unit used to sit perfectly. I'll look into an SD extender, that would really be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #61
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

My picture in the first post of it mounted above the glove box is mine from an E92. There is alot of room above and below where the cup holders go into the dash.

I prefer removing the glove box than pulling out the CIC to get access to the box.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #62
tty33
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
This is really odd. I know some settings are tied to a specific key. For example, I've heard that mirror position can be tied to a particular key. (I've not personally verified this, just something I've read). I wonder if that has something to do with it, and there is some way to work around this.
Indeed, that is exactly the reason why I have two keys: one for me with my settings, and one for my wife. When you unlock the car, the seat, mirrors, and radio stations are all matched to the settings linked to that key. Normally very convenient, but now not so much ;-)

I’ll try to figure out what is triggering this behavior. I used my wife’s key when I did the coding and installed the unit, so now she’s the lucky one with CarPlay ;-)
I tried to code with my key instead, but same result.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #63
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Does anyone know when they will ship these?
It was showing as “pre-order” when I checked yesterday.
      09-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #64
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Can you just get the CIC screen and have a better resolution or do you really have to get the other parts too?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #65
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Just noticed Mr12Volt has a new firmware for the P2000-CICM0 interface. Would be nice to know the change log for the new firmware.

P2000 for CIC v1.4 (last update 20210901)
https://mr12v.com/pages/p2000-series-software-updates

For those with the interface, what firmware version do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 03:47 AM   #66
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Just noticed Mr12Volt has a new firmware for the P2000-CICM0 interface. Would be nice to know the change log for the new firmware.

P2000 for CIC v1.4 (last update 20210901)
https://mr12v.com/pages/p2000-series-software-updates

For those with the interface, what firmware version do you have?
I think that there is a change log there?