BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #45
victorshan
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I am dealing with this issue for about 4 months now. Already replaced the transmission fluid and re-program it. But the overheat code is still there. Looks like only way to solve it would have be replacing a new transmission... cant believe there is no way to fix it. My car right now has 83950miles. DCT is just not that reliable overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
DK21M3
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorshan View Post
I am dealing with this issue for about 4 months now. Already replaced the transmission fluid and re-program it. But the overheat code is still there. Looks like only way to solve it would have be replacing a new transmission... cant believe there is no way to fix it. My car right now has 83950miles. DCT is just not that reliable overall.
I've been having the same issues for the past 3-4 months. Finally my guy at the shop said a replacement would be the only fix. So my extended warranty company is footing the bill for a new $15k transmission.

I suggest to go through your extended warranty if you have one. Just got the call today and am excited!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #47
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Based on every one's feedback on this thread, box replacement is the only solution for now..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #48
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK21M3 View Post
Quote:
I've been having the same issues for the past 3-4 months. Finally my guy at the shop said a replacement would be the only fix. So my extended warranty company is footing the bill for a new $15k transmission.

I suggest to go through your extended warranty if you have one. Just got the call today and am excited!
$15k? That's not a realistic price for a DCT but if someone else is footing the bill god bless them.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #49
325jay
Rep
Drives: E30 325 + E92 M3

I had this issue for about 8 months. I bought a second hand box because everyone said that's what it needed but I'm the sort of guy that would rather find the exact part that needed changing instead of changing the whole gearbox.

One of the things I tried was the gts software. Since doing that it seemed to change the problem. The box wanted to change down to second gear at 45mph. My mate plugged his computer into the car and noticed the left rear wheel speed sensor wasn't picking up direction till 45 mph and it read it as going backward. Bare in mind I have had each wheel speed sensor go and had changed all 4 I didn't expect to have a problem. This didn't throw up any codes or any dash warnings.

I changed the sensor AGAIN and the box has been fine since. I had another guy message me about having the same problem and the WSS turned out to be the problem.

So. Plug a computer in and see what your wheel speed sensor are saying.
Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
Patrón543.00
      07-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #50
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

What sort of temperatures is the DCT seeing? Are these false positives? Has anyone tried to use an extra sensor to validate the regular one?

Any other data channels on the CANBUS alluding to problems, such as a clutch that's not engaging properly and dragging?
      07-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #51
325jay
Rep

Temps were fine. I think about 80. It's not the box. It's the car thinking it's spinning and needing to change down but the parameters that are set in the ecu don't like it, it just goes into a 'wtf mode. Do a live data on wheel speed for direction and speed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #52
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How wheel speed sensor is related to DCT temp code ?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #53
325jay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
How wheel speed sensor is related to DCT temp code ?
You tell me. The car thinks it's spinning out of control and trying to do something about it. The "TEMP CODE" might be the only thing it can say. Seriously if you have this problem, check a live data reading of the wheel speed sensors. It's this bullshit that has made me put the car up for sale. So many computers thinking they know what to do, except they dont
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #54
325jay
Rep

As a side note. I mate has a high power m5 and said the second the clutch slips (before he updated them) the car says trans OVERHEAT. So as the car is thinking something isn't in it's normal parameter, it will try and save it's self.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #55
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325jay View Post
You tell me. The car thinks it's spinning out of control and trying to do something about it. The "TEMP CODE" might be the only thing it can say. Seriously if you have this problem, check a live data reading of the wheel speed sensors. It's this bullshit that has made me put the car up for sale. So many computers thinking they know what to do, except they dont
Jeez man..that's nuts for sure. How do you test live data of speed sensors? using INPA?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I had this issue for about 8 months. I bought a second hand box because everyone said that's what it needed but I'm the sort of guy that would rather find the exact part that needed changing instead of changing the whole gearbox.

One of the things I tried was the gts software. Since doing that it seemed to change the problem. The box wanted to change down to second gear at 45mph. My mate plugged his computer into the car and noticed the left rear wheel speed sensor wasn't picking up direction till 45 mph and it read it as going backward. Bare in mind I have had each wheel speed sensor go and had changed all 4 I didn't expect to have a problem. This didn't throw up any codes or any dash warnings.

I changed the sensor AGAIN and the box has been fine since. I had another guy message me about having the same problem and the WSS turned out to be the problem.

Hope this helps
Hi Jay (if still around), the speed sensor theory sounds clever. Had the mal function (together with 5A53) coming a couple of times last Autumn, gone since. Came back this week. No hard nor long driving, just out of the blue. Had the box replaced with a new 25k miles ago, very tiny leak but nothing that could empty the box.

The speed sensor theory is very interesting, and might explain some other strange behaviour as well. For a sad bloke with nothing than the Carly app, how would one measure the sensors actual speed and direction?

Thanks

Last edited by Helmsman; 09-26-2019 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #57
325jay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi Jay (if still around), the speed sensor theory sounds clever. Had the mal function (together with 5A53) coming a couple of times last Autumn, gone since. Came back this week. No hard nor long driving, just out of the blue. Had the box replaced with a new 25k miles ago, very tiny leak but nothing that could empty the box.

The speed sensor theory is very interesting, and might explain some other strange behaviour as well. For a sad bloke with nothing than the Carly app, how would one measure the sensors actual speed and direction?

Thanks
Lucky for me I knew a man that can. Sorry but I'm useless with computer things so have no information on what he used
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #58
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Lucky for me I knew a man that can. Sorry but I'm useless with computer things so have no information on what he used
Got it, thanks anyway Jay.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #59
E90LCI_M3Saloon
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flxfxp View Post
I know...could've would've should've...if I knew back then what I knew now, I probably would've done exactly that, but hindsight is 20/20

Bavarian Professionals, Performance Technic, Weatherford BMW, Peter Pan BMW.

I'm not one to give up quickly, but fuck this issue.
Hehe... He said “butfuck”...
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2617.50
      10-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #60
E90LCI_M3Saloon
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps
I will test this theory tomorrow on my 09' DCT tomorrow pending if my parts department has wheel speed sensors on hand.

102k Miles

Fronts - 34 52 7853586 x2
Rears - 34 52 6870077 x2

<Perillo BMW of Chicago Service Advisor // Parts Expert
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #61
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

was getting the same dct oil temperature overheat

had a dct service done and replaced the oil temperature sensor, no longer an issue going on one month and change

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...waAgiiEALw_wcB
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #62
E90LCI_M3Saloon
Rep

BMW has replied back to change the rpm/temp sensor located behind the clutch.
p/n 28107842851
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:47 AM   #63
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Search the part no. on google. Look for the cutaway drawing on realoem.

They have to take apart the front of the DCT. Most BMW dealers wont do that.
Also replace the oil pump behind the wet clutch while inside. There is an o-ring where the harness enters the housing. Big source of leaks, so replace it. New o-ring is much thicker.

New DCT is $12k. Labor is $3k. Total $15k.

That is why a $2k-5k used DCT is the best option. Check with Deansbimmer Mporium in Texas.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #64
dgbattman
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55 2018

I have an M2 that never gets above 87C gearbox temp, but throws these red and black clutch / gearbox temp codes. While I am still trying to find the origin of the issue, IF you monitor gearbox temps and don't see them rise too much, and all else fails…

Disable the codes?

I’ll admit thats what I’m trying right now. If it suppresses limp mode, then eff it for now…at least I can enjoy the car. I haven’t driven long enough to make sure they don’t still pop up.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #65
dgbattman
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55 2018

This is acknowledging that short of this, a used gearbox could be a reasonable call…yet $$$$. Maybe wait for it to self destruct (if ever)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #66
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
My right speed sensor came on and then I got the warning right after. I am replacing that speed sensor as I am sure it is the culprit, the left one went out a few months ago, delivering similar warnings, but no cruise control.

I was able to use my hand held OBD2 reader to actually see what the computer saw and it saw 3 wheels rotating and didn't know about the 4th because of the sensor.

Sensor fixed it up, for everyone that has spent thousands on this issue replacing stuff when it was only a sensor, I am truly truly sorry.
Appreciate 0