BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Suspension upgrade, which way do I go?!

I read so many mediocre to negative reviews about sleeves on the EDC suspension (car hopping on bumps / unstable / etc) that I'm hesitant to go that route, unless someone has a setup that really works. My current issue with the EDC is that it just doesn't feel confident around banks (say on the steep on ramps of highways, etc). Granted I'm running stock tire sizes but they only hay 6k miles on them Mich PSS. Recommendations? The car is supercharged, not that it matters much but the added torque will add a little more bounce.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I would go with coilovers. KW Clubsport or Ohlins R&T
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

What do you mean by confident?

A proper alignment will do wonders for how a car turns-in and exits corners. The factory specs call for a bit more negative rear camber than front, which will promote understeer on entry and exit. If you want to keep your factory suspension, I'd suggest maybe getting a "sportier" alignment and then go from there.

From my experience, lowering springs with the EDC shocks and struts is a great daily driver combination. It will not be as direct as an aftermarket coilover setup, but will be much more confident while keeping it somewhat comfy as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@PSI View Post
What do you mean by confident?

A proper alignment will do wonders for how a car turns-in and exits corners. The factory specs call for a bit more negative rear camber than front, which will promote understeer on entry and exit. If you want to keep your factory suspension, I'd suggest maybe getting a "sportier" alignment and then go from there.

From my experience, lowering springs with the EDC shocks and struts is a great daily driver combination. It will not be as direct as an aftermarket coilover setup, but will be much more confident while keeping it somewhat comfy as well.
I don't feel secure around the bank, it's not about bounce as the EDC is stiff in such situations, but a car lower to the ground definitely inspires more confidence and can take a turn at higher speeds. My alignment is in spec, but perhaps I should try more neg rear camber. I'm in Austin, not sure who to go to or how many deg to try. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
I don't feel secure around the bank, it's not about bounce as the EDC is stiff in such situations, but a car lower to the ground definitely inspires more confidence and can take a turn at higher speeds. My alignment is in spec, but perhaps I should try more neg rear camber. I'm in Austin, not sure who to go to or how many deg to try. Suggestions?
You would want more front negative camber to decrease understeer. I would set front camber to at least the same as the rear, if not a little more negative.

I'm not too familiar with any specific shops in Austin, but I'd look for an alignment place familiar with BMWs, or with track/race car experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
I read so many mediocre to negative reviews about sleeves on the EDC suspension (car hopping on bumps / unstable / etc) that I'm hesitant to go that route, unless someone has a setup that really works. My current issue with the EDC is that it just doesn't feel confident around banks (say on the steep on ramps of highways, etc). Granted I'm running stock tire sizes but they only hay 6k miles on them Mich PSS. Recommendations? The car is supercharged, not that it matters much but the added torque will add a little more bounce.
I would go coilovers.

Aragosta or Moton if money is not an issue.

If you are on a budget... H&R, KW, Bilstein, etc...

Springs are ok but IMO the front gap is too much with all springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4; E92 M3

What about exploring KW sleeveover? That'll lower the car, adjustable as well while retaining EDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
What about exploring KW sleeveover? That'll lower the car, adjustable as well while retaining EDC.
His first sentence explains the hesitancy to go that route. Either coilovers, or add vorshlag camber plates to oem and get a proper alignment for your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
His first sentence explains the hesitancy to go that route. Either coilovers, or add vorshlag camber plates to oem and get a proper alignment for your driving style.
That's good advice.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4; E92 M3

Quote:
Ohh crap, I missed that. My bad
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You can also add the vorshlag camber plates and add coilovers later just may have to buy upper spring perch I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
no half ass sleeve kit for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
good post, it is very nice to see quality advice being given on this forum

camber plates and good tires make a huge difference in handling on the street and on the track

I would only add if you DO add coilovers, the bare minimum I would suggest is a KW v3, and realisitically, it would be better to go with something like KW clubsport or Ohlins RT

the key to a good riding / handling suspension is quality dampers. the quality of the dampers is what separates the higher end kits from everything else
Appreciate 0