BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: JZB M3

Oil level high warning

So my car showed the low oil level warning and asked to add 1 quart which I did. But now after two days when the computerized dip stick was finally able to measure the oil level I get the excess oil warning and says please have service center examine the system...wtf. I added oil because it asked for it but now this. Should I just leave it as is hoping it will self correct or should I get it checked out?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Where exactly was the oil level tho?? If it's at the minimum line your car is still good. When I get that warning to add a qt, I never had any issue after adding a qt.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the digital dipstick isn't ideal. try to siphon some out of the car so you don't make a mess with the plugs and try adding 1/2 a quart next time.
      09-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Ink09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT / 84 E30 318i

As others have stated best advice is to only add 1/2 a quart at a time, then let the system settle and see where you are at with the electronic dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Where exactly was the oil level tho?? If it's at the minimum line your car is still good. When I get that warning to add a qt, I never had any issue after adding a qt.
The oil level was at Min when it asked to add 1 qt. Now it's maxed out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
the digital dipstick isn't ideal. try to siphon some out of the car so you don't make a mess with the plugs and try adding 1/2 a quart next time.
Thanks for the response. That's a god idea to siphon a little oil out. This computerized dip stick is really a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #7
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink09 View Post
As others have stated best advice is to only add 1/2 a quart at a time, then let the system settle and see where you are at with the electronic dipstick.
Hmm..yes may be that what I need to do. But I always add 1 qt when it asks for ail and have had no issues till now.

BTW - a noob question: what will excess oil do to the car? I mean is it really bad to have excess oil in the car ?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #8
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

If its only been 2 days, may still need more time to settle in to the correct reading. Also, I would not worry about it because you're probably no more than 1/4L over filled. Overfilling can be bad for the seals and can cause oil foaming.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
Logodude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'EM View Post
Hmm..yes may be that what I need to do. But I always add 1 qt when it asks for ail and have had no issues till now.

BTW - a noob question: what will excess oil do to the car? I mean is it really bad to have excess oil in the car ?
In theory, the crank could hit the oil in the pan and cause the oil to foam or air to be suspended in the oil. Air compresses but oil does not and you lose oil pressure and lubrication causing premature wear. Again not sure how overfilled the level has to be before this happens but it's possible "theory".
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Our cars electronic deapstick is very finicky. I personally add 250ml at a time.
      09-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
///Motown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Our cars electronic deapstick is very finicky. I personally add 250ml at a time.
This!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logodude View Post
In theory, the crank could hit the oil in the pan and cause the oil to foam or air to be suspended in the oil. Air compresses but oil does not and you lose oil pressure and lubrication causing premature wear. Again not sure how overfilled the level has to be before this happens but it's possible "theory".
Wow...ok. But I would imagine BMW would have given us enough clearance before it is really at that level for the above theory to happen especially considering the shitty nature of the oil measement system of this car. I mean it took two days for the car to show me the level after I poured in the 1 qt and then suddenly this warning. If it's for real then I have been driving the car for two days with excess oil without no fucking way of knowing it. I sure hope I didn't do any damage. Would it be a good idea to bring it in to the dealer and check it out? Or should I be good by just removing some oil by siphoning it out.

BTW - did any one experience issues or are of cases where these cars had issues due to excess oil? I am interested in knowing if it is a fact or just some Internet scare. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

To the OP theres like a handful of threads on this. The main theme of all of them is to never add a full qt when you get the low oil warning, but instead add 1/4-1/2qt at a time and wait. Yeah it sucks and we all hate the electronic oil sensor and wish we had a dipstick, but your car will be fine driving with the low oil warning while you wait for it to readjust to the new amount. I actually got the low oil warning two days ago and have added about 1/2qt and still have the warning, im not adding more oil yet i just need to drive more and see.

Now onto your new situation, i haven't read through the thread but you can drain oil from the smaller 'reserve' oil pan towards the front of the car. Go under and you'll see two drain plugs in the pan, its the one towards the front of the car you'll want to remove, itll drain around 1-1.5qts IIRC. Remember youll have to wait and drive around for the oil sensor to adjust to this too. I ended up draining too much by doing that drain twice when my car got the high oil warning on the 2nd day of ownership, cause i didn't know yet how long the oil sensor takes to give a new true reading.

Last edited by BigRussia; 09-20-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
To the OP theres like a handful of threads on this. The main theme of all of them is to never add a full qt when you get the low oil warning, but instead add 1/4-1/2qt at a time and wait. Yeah it sucks and we all hate the electronic oil sensor and wish we had a dipstick, but your car will be fine driving with the low oil warning while you wait for it to readjust to the new amount. I actually got the low oil warning two days ago and have added about 1/2qt and still have the warning, im not adding more oil yet i just need to drive more and see.

Now onto your new situation, i haven't read through the thread but you can drain oil from the smaller 'reserve' oil pan towards the front of the car. Go under and you'll see two drain plugs in the pan, its the one towards the front of the car you'll want to remove, itll drain around 1-1.5qts IIRC. Remember youll have to wait and drive around for the oil sensor to adjust to this too. I ended up draining too much by doing that drain twice when my car got the high oil warning on the 2nd day of ownership, cause i didn't know yet how long the oil sensor takes to give a new true reading.
Thanks for the tips. So if I drain from the smaller pan I drain it completely right? I mean once I remove the drain plug there's no putting it back after a certain amount has been drained so it will drain the smaller pan completely right. In doing so I will drain 1 to 1.5 qt . Then drive around till the sensor resets and add in oil in 1/2 quart intervals - did I understand you correctly?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. So if I drain from the smaller pan I drain it completely right? I mean once I remove the drain plug there's no putting it back after a certain amount has been drained so it will drain the smaller pan completely right. In doing so I will drain 1 to 1.5 qt . Then drive around till the sensor resets and add in oil in 1/2 quart intervals - did I understand you correctly?
In your controlled situation you are unlikely to be over by any significant amount--I would just leave it and not fiddle with the messy oil pans.
Appreciate 1
kb9uwu309.00
      09-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Yeah, the front pan holds ~1/2 quart. Jack the car up, remove the front plug, drive around until it adjusts. If its still too much, do it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
Biggus Dickus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' E92 M3 - 6MT, Jerez Black

Same thing happened to me on a road trip. Told me oil level below minimum so I added a full Liter. About an hour later it told me it was too high. . . .

I just let it be and it leveled out later that day. However, I drove another 250 miles that afternoon.
      09-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #18
Kamen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Having to wait 2 days to get an oil level reading sounds weird. My car doesn't take longer than usual to read oil level after an oil change. I drive it until it warms up and it shows oil level.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Yes, youll let it all finish draining from the front plug. Then put it back and drive. But drive a decent amount before you decide to do another drain. Try to drive 10 miles or if you do a bunch of short drives at least 5-6 starting cycles.

And yes next time you get the low oil warning put oil in 1/4- 1/2 intervals. So as I said in my last post I added almost 1/2L (was saying quarts to keep the thread consistent but I go by Liters) and just today after still driving with the low oil warning my oil sensor finally gave the new reading, and it's perfectly right at the MAX line This was quicker than usual as I had only drove 7 miles for the updated reading but I also had a bunch of starting cycles from doing a bunch of errands.

Last edited by BigRussia; 09-20-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #20
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

yea the lesson is do NOT fill by 1 full quart or liter even if the "fill oil" sign is on. Always add 1/4~1/2 quart/liter of oil at a time and see how it reads.

On the oil gauge we have, as long as it reads above minimum mark, it shouldn't cause any trouble or damage our engine because the engine is not full with oil. Rather, too much oil is worse than a bit low but okay leveled oil.
      09-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
MyUnicorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

I also had to add on a road trip. I started at the middle mark of the fill line, and at about the 100 mile mark of my trip, I was reading add 1 quart. I added 1/2 of a liter, and I am now reading at the top mark of the fill line.

I can also relate to overfilling at an oil change. The dealer added 9.3 liters (instead of 9.3 quarts). About a half liter too much. I freaked out, too, but y'all reassured me that no damage would occur from this small amount of overfill. And, you know what...you guys were right. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing your knowledge.
      09-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Yes, youll let it all finish draining from the front plug. Then put it back and drive. But drive a decent amount before you decide to do another drain. Try to drive 10 miles or if you do a bunch of short drives at least 5-6 starting cycles.

And yes next time you get the low oil warning put oil in 1/4- 1/2 intervals. So as I said in my last post I added almost 1/2L (was saying quarts to keep the thread consistent but I go by Liters) and just today after still driving with the low oil warning my oil sensor finally gave the new reading, and it's perfectly right at the MAX line This was quicker than usual as I had only drove 7 miles for the updated reading but I also had a bunch of starting cycles from doing a bunch of errands.
Done. I drained it once and took hit for a 15 mile drive and the oil level is right at max line level. Took me like 15 mins to jack it up, drain it and get it back on the ground and worth every minute. Happy to see the warning gone and the oil level at where it is supposed to be. Thanks for the tips guys. I love this forum.
Appreciate 0