BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

05-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

New to Richmond

Two days ago I moved from Tampa to Richmond to start a new life (a story I won’t get into here). I’m a native Californian who spent two decades in Florida, and so far I feel like I can learn to love this city.

A couple of questions:
  • What are some nearby or even relatively distant driver’s roads you’d recommend? Florida is crisscrossed with boring straight-line highways.
  • Do local M3 owners ever get together? I’d love to meet any fellow enthusiasts.
Thanks for your thoughts or recommendations,

Megabrode (AKA Craig)
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      05-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR

I just left Richmond, not a ton of e92 M's but Adi just picked up a supercharged one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2286...702/?ref=br_rs

check out the group ^ richmond bmw owners

they do meet ups once or twice a year. and cars and coffee is every other week.

Richmond is an interesting city. There's a lot to like and dislike, depends where you look. I was there for 5 years for dental school so I didn't get out enough to enjoy the nice things. But there's a lot of hidden beauty, and a lot of good food. And if you ever need a more rural scene just head west
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
Megabrode
United_States
Rep

Too bad you're leaving! I'm in need of a new dentist. Good luck with your career.

Thanks for your overview of Richmond, which confirms my early impressions. I'm expecting to love it here.

That local owner's group is huge! I will join.

My next step is to get in the car and head west.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

Also not sure if anyone you've been warned yet, but don't try your luck and speed in Virginia. We've got the strictest laws in the nation (20+ over the speed limit is reckless and can come with jail time). I would definitely head west or north to MD if you're looking for backroads.
      05-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

If you’re looking to meet any M owners or just cool car people in the area hit up Katie’s Cars and coffee. They have a meet there just about every Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I 2nd the speed warning. Speeding in VA is no joke. Radar detectors are also illegal.
      06-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Megabrode
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD View Post
Also not sure if anyone you've been warned yet, but don't try your luck and speed in Virginia. We've got the strictest laws in the nation (20+ over the speed limit is reckless and can come with jail time). I would definitely head west or north to MD if you're looking for backroads.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm an occasional autocrosser and "mature" daily driver. IMO, you don't need illegal speed to enjoy twisty roads, which seem abundant in this beautiful state.

Strict Virginia traffic law may help explain the relative lack of rude, mindless, and/or insanely aggressive drivers you see in Florida. People here actually use their turn signals! The main thing that bugs me is I'll need a license plate on my front bumper. It's ugly, but I suppose it's some protecton in tight downtown parking.

My radar detector is retired to the trunk, for use out of state. Is it true that you're OK if the thing is not kept in your passenger compartment?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Megabrode
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donadio91 View Post
If you’re looking to meet any M owners or just cool car people in the area hit up Katie’s Cars and coffee. They have a meet there just about every Saturday.
Looks like a two-hour drive for me. I'll check it out when I'm up there on a Saturday morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Haha, come up to NoVA and you will see all the dumb drivers. As far as the front license plate, I've been driving without one for two years. I've gotten stopped before for it among other things but just got a warning. I believe its just a non-moving violation pay ticket of around $80 or so.
      06-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR

i got one of the tow hook front plate mounts so I didn't have to drill the front bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm an occasional autocrosser and "mature" daily driver. IMO, you don't need illegal speed to enjoy twisty roads, which seem abundant in this beautiful state.

Strict Virginia traffic law may help explain the relative lack of rude, mindless, and/or insanely aggressive drivers you see in Florida. People here actually use their turn signals! The main thing that bugs me is I'll need a license plate on my front bumper. It's ugly, but I suppose it's some protecton in tight downtown parking.

My radar detector is retired to the trunk, for use out of state. Is it true that you're OK if the thing is not kept in your passenger compartment?
Definitely look into getting a tow hook mount. IMO it looks way better aesthetically and 100% less drilling required.

As for the radar detector, the law is that it has be completely out of reach- so yes your trunk would be an acceptable place. That being said, I've had a radar detector chilling in my glove compartment for several years now and never had an issue. Using a radar detector in VA also only comes with a fine, so no moving violation or points (think fix-it ticket). They will record the serial number and give it back to you, so running with one may be worthwhile if you're willing to consider the risk/reward.

Top end radar detectors won't be detectable to RDDs so if you can mount it in a inconspicuous place, it seems like a no brainer to me. I would do the same if NoVA/DC wasn't always a parking lot.