BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #1
Formula_Autohaus
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Miley

Top Mount Turbo E92 M3

In 2015 someone told me it was impossible to Top Mount Turbo the E92 M3. I took that as a challenge and found someone who could help me fabricate a kit. His name was Cole D. the owner of JC FAB out of Colorado Springs CO. Over the course of 4 months he designed and fit the turbo to the car.

He fit a Garrett 3582R with Tial hot-side that lived in the spot the airbox used to be. Turbo smart wastegates and blow off valves were to accompany the turbo all connected with AN Lines. You might recognize the Intake manifold from the Active Autowerke Supercharger kits. We chose to use this as designing an intake manifold from the ground up to fit ITB's would be an astronomical cost on R&D and we could always make our own later if we actually started selling kits. The AA logo was filled with weld and smoothed down to created a flat surface although we always gave credit to AA for using their beautiful manifold we didn't want people to see it and think AA made it.

As we all know, space is limited in the engine bay of the E92 so the exhaust manifold had to be log style instead of a preferred equal length design. It now runs forward in the car. The right side crosses in front of the motor converging with the other side just under the turbo. The down pipe runs out just in front of the steering arm to mid-pipe that runs to rear axle of the car. There is met by a traditional style axle back exhaust with valves.

The radiator, trans-cooler, oil cooler, intercooler, power steering reservoir and coolant over flow tank all had to be custom built to fit to the car. The radiator is now about 3" thick and is much larger than stock.

Finding someone to help me tune the car was difficult and I ended up starting projects and as time passed the further down the list finishing the car got. After sitting for 6 years my wife expressed interest in driving the car and that I just needed to finish and that one way or another it needed to be back on the street.

After weighing my options for a couple of months I decided that enough was enough and I would bring the car back to stock. This was the only way I would be 100% sure that the car would run and drive again. The car is now at BMW specialty shop in Las Vegas NV and is undergoing conversion back to stock.

We had big plans on bringing this to production to sell kits to other people that wanted them but as time went on the cost was very high to sell these kits as the parts and materials used were very expensive. At the time it was estimated the cost of this kit would be right at $20k. Even at that price there was little room for profit.

I'm sure that I'm leaving out plenty of details so any questions you may have please ask away. I just wanted to share this project with you before it hits the shelf to collect dust for the remainder of my days.

Thank you so much

-Nick

[IMG][/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

That's all the photo content?
Idfkman473.00
      11-24-2021, 11:45 PM   #3