BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #23
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

[QUOTE=Edward;16250905]Don't get offended. Money and price are relative. To people buying bigger better nicer cars, an M3 is nothing more than a kids toy.[/QOUTE]
I disagree with this too and this sounds like a "I'm better then you statement", maybe its where you live and how people act there or your personal opinion but I've never gotten that feeling from anyone that I've talked to or even waved at in higher end/higher priced exotics. Maybe its because I'm 26 and my fiancé is 24 (its technically her car) so their impressed she bought it at a young age, idk. Sure when you compare its $75k (new) price tag to something along the lines of an Aventador it does seem to be "cheap" but most people still appreciate the M brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutts View Post
No need to turn this into another DCT vs MT... Why continue to instigate?
We weren't turning this into that, just stating opinions. No one is instigating.
      07-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #24
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFM3 View Post
Had a DCT on my 2009...I loved it, but I didn't like the idea of a "sealed transmission with lifetime fluids". And I also didn't like that fact that the dealer would not authorize transmission flush...and didn't want to bring it to a non-BMW dealer to do it. I plan on keeping this car forever and 6MT made more sense in the long run. Clutch replacement is wayyyyyyyy cheaper, so is tranny.

And very nice post, Dave! I've been toying with the idea of getting a DD, as when I move to Florida I'm going to have a pretty decent commute to work, but I did buy the M3 to drive it....
You made the right choice with the manual if you plan for a long ownership.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
You made the right choice with the manual if you plan for a long ownership.
Yup....there's no such thing as lifetime fluid for one. Wet clutch packs submerged in tranny fluid = clutch material entering fluids = increased wear and tear with clutch use. How do you you fix a broken (which I know, are very uncommon) DCT? How do you replace clutch packs? Most of the time...get a new one. "The clutch packs in the M3 will last the lifetime of the car" according to BMW...also another hard to believe one. But again I'm not here to argue...just simply adding my opinion maybe for future M3 owners to consider when purchasing an M car.

I will agree with the DCT vs 6MT....because I've actually owned both. I loved my DCT (especially with full Dinan exhaust...I miss those rev matching downshifts) and only used in sequential mode, I feel like it was the next best thing to the 6MT. It also didn't suck in traffic as much either! But I like the reliability and maintenance cost of transmission replacement (if the transmission fails) and clutch replacement in the long run figuring you will keep the car for 5, 6, 7+ years...not to mention that BMW will change your 6MT fluids for you. DCT came out in 2008 and was not mechanically upgrade in any of the E9X M3s...the DCT in the new M5/M4/M3 is mechanically different so obviously some changes were made. I've read the DCT technical manual and I know what it says...and I have no doubt the DCT can last 150,000+ miles assuming you don't shift at 8,300 rpm every time you do. But who right now actually is able to work on this $10,000 transmission and what are the options if you are out of warranty and it fails? That's exactly what I considered when buying the car.

It is what it is...some people prefer the DCT (which of course is going to outperform the 6MT on a track...you don't see F1 or ALMS using traditional manuals anymore, do you?) and some people prefer 6MT because maybe that's what they want. Either way, if you own an M3, you made the right choice in my books.

Now let's move on and start arguing about CF vs non-CF roofed M3s. I hear that the CF roof M3 is more capable and efficient than non-CF roofs...
13 Mineral White E92 M3 (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0