BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
firewired
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sdn

New E90 what is this noise?

Since picking up my M3 several weeks ago about 20% of the time I keep hearing a sound from the right rear tire. I have made four trips to the dealer and they haven't found out what it is or suggested a solution.

The sound is in wav form here: http://files.me.com/rspitz/ofci8c.mp3

When I first heard it I was in stop and go traffic and I looked over at a beat up pickup next to me and thought, "man that beater sounds bad!" It was only when traffic cleared that I realized it was me!

The sound is unrelated to hitting or releasing the brakes, but seems to start after hitting the brakes to a stop, and to only be there less than 20 mph. Jumping up and down on the door sills does not make the noise, so it isn't the shocks.

After my third trip to the dealer and them unable to reproduce the sound I called my dealer that last time I taped it, and he was able to hear it over the phone. He had me take the car down to the dealer and I played it for the mechanic who was unable to reproduce it, and he had the gall to tell me to bring it back if it did it again. I had to get to work, so didn't have time to argue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I am by no means a mechanic but it sounds like it is relative to the speed you're traveling. If I had to guess, I would say it sounds like a bad rotor, but that is just a stab in the dark. I am surprised the dealer was'nt more helpfull in diagnosing this. It is definately reproducable. Good luck in resolving it and defanately keep us posted.
      11-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Good luck! Sounds like it will something simple,
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
firewired
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sdn

I think it should be simple. Kind of frustrating I have had car only a few weeks and I have already brought it in 4 times and they have no clue. Monday will be the 5th.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

If I was you I would try several hard braking attempts and then try slow braking with your emergency brake. If this doesn't clear up the annoying noise; I dont know what else it could be!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Yep, something simple and speed-related to the right rear wheel. Has to be brake related IMO. If you don't feel a pulsation/vibration when braking hard, we can eliminate the rotor. Since it's intermittent, and the M3 does not have a separate caliper for the parking brake, you can quickly eliminate the parking brake if it doesn't do it after using it. That leaves a sticky caliper piston IMO.
Do you drive a lot in rain? That'd explain it. With crappy single-piston calipers, if the caliper pins are not lubed properly they tend to stick, and wear the inner pads quicker too.

Don't sweat it buddy; it's something stupid, so don't waste more of your time and just wait until it's consistent then take it in. Or if you're the DIY kind, I'd just remove the caliper, inspect it, clean it, and lube it (along with the parking brake mechanism). Or simply lift the car if it does it when arriving home, turn the wheel by hand and you'd know right away. It could also be other things, like the rotor shield, but it wouldn't have those symptoms IMO, but you can check everything if you decide to remove the wheel yourself (which I'd do for sure ). Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewired View Post
Since picking up my M3 several weeks ago about 20% of the time I keep hearing a sound from the right rear tire. I have made four trips to the dealer and they haven't found out what it is or suggested a solution.

When I first heard it I was in stop and go traffic and I looked over at a beat up pickup next to me and thought, "man that beater sounds bad!" It was only when traffic cleared that I realized it was me!

The sound is unrelated to hitting or releasing the brakes, but seems to start after hitting the brakes to a stop, and to only be there less than 20 mph. Jumping up and down on the door sills does not make the noise, so it isn't the shocks.

After my third trip to the dealer and them unable to reproduce the sound I called my dealer that last time I taped it, and he was able to hear it over the phone. He had me take the car down to the dealer and I played it for the mechanic who was unable to reproduce it, and he had the gall to tell me to bring it back if it did it again. I had to get to work, so didn't have time to argue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
My wife's Mercedes made a sound like that a couple of years ago. It was a rear brake backing plate touching the rotor. Apparently, someone taking a wheel off had let the wheel slip and it had put a small bend in the backing plate, just enough to touch the rotor very lightly, resulting in the rhythmic squeaking sound like you're hearing. What was worse was that when it warmed up, it stopped doing it.

I found it by jacking the car up, taking the wheel off and pushing and pulling on the backing plate (they're quite thin and flexible). It was obvious that it was touching and I just bent it back to where it belonged with my fingers. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Safster
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

It's probably noise from the limited slip differential...if you do a search for diff noise you'll find that it's a common issue. No need to worry about it but if it really bothers you your dealer will be able to place an additive to your differential fluid to reduce the noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #9
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Exclamation Noise.

I was driving on a bad road in Toronto, and noticed that there was a lot of loose gravel. When I continued to drive after a couple of minutes I noticed that exact noise that you described and recorded. It sounded like a bunch of cans were being dragged across the street.. Klink Klink Klink..
I then when to the dealer (only 2K on the car) and told them to get in the car so that I could duplicated the noise. After the shop forman heard the noise he was surprised too.

-He called me back a couple hours later and told me that there was a small small stone lodged between the router and the brake disk and after ever rotation it would "klink" and slide and rub between each other.

They fixed everything; their cost...
Now all is good!
Appreciate 0