BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Who here has a GTR in addition to their E9X M3?

I've been watching too many GTR videos lately and I'm starting to like them again lol....I remember when it came to the U.S. in 2009 and I was in the 8th grade, I was obsessed with GTRs. Now it's all coming back.....

Anyone on here own a GTR in addition to their M? How does it feel/compare? Post some pics if you can lol. Thanks, Happy New Year.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
skl007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I do. In my opinion the GT-R is a lot more analog than the M3 simply because you can hear so much more mechanical noise. It's a lot more involving as well simply because it's more sensitive to tramlining and has much faster steering and turn-in.

It's much, much faster and the kind of grip levels it has (especially when exiting a corner) is absurd. Do I drive it more than the M3? No, but I have way more fun when I do drive it.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post
I do. In my opinion the GT-R is a lot more analog than the M3 simply because you can hear so much more mechanical noise. It's a lot more involving as well simply because it's more sensitive to tramlining and has much faster steering and turn-in.

It's much, much faster and the kind of grip levels it has (especially when exiting a corner) is absurd. Do I drive it more than the M3? No, but I have way more fun when I do drive it.
+1

I drove a few GTRs (R32, R33, R35). The R35 GTR is a lot more mechanical and raw than the M3. It is not something I'd want to drive every day as it is pretty unforgiving on rough roads and it sucks in normal driving.

I think where most people think the R35 feels artificial is in the handling... it turns and handles unlike any other car. It will do things you don't think is possible and it feels wrong - but it is also very fast. If you like traditional sports car handling, the GTR is not the car for you.

This only refers to the R35 GTR. The older GTR are much more traditional sports cars and handles like most RWD sports cars despite having AWD.
      01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I don't know about that, GTRs were often criticized for their video game like feel, I don't see how some noise changes that.

Fast capable cars that can make a ton of power when tuned, but described as "soul-less", jarring and a maintenance nightmare back then.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I don't know about that, GTRs were often criticized for their video game like feel, I don't see how some noise changes that.

Fast capable cars that can make a ton of power when tuned, but described as "soul-less", jarring and a maintenance nightmare back then.
As I mentioned above, it's a different kind of feeling. The GTR is very mechanical - you feel everything. It clicks, clacks and whirrrs like some car from the mid 1900s - it doesn't feel refined like a modern car. The car transmits everything to the driver - there is a ton of feedback though the steering wheel, suspension and seat etc. These things are very analog and raw.

What people describe as "video game" is the handling. It's not very natural how the car handles. If you think you know how a sports car drives - the GTR will break that perception. It's different. If the rear starts to slide on a traditional sports car, you'd normally counter steer and lift a bit to bring the rear back in line... on a GTR, you just keep the same steering angle, keep on throttle - the car sorts it out for you and rockets you out of the corner with much more grip than you thought possible.
      01-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
As I mentioned above, it's a different kind of feeling. The GTR is very mechanical - you feel everything. It clicks, clacks and whirrrs like some car from the mid 1900s - it doesn't feel refined like a modern car. The car transmits everything to the driver - there is a ton of feedback though the steering wheel, suspension and seat etc. These things are very analog and raw.

What people describe as "video game" is the handling. It's not very natural how the car handles. If you think you know how a sports car drives - the GTR will break that perception. It's different. If the rear starts to slide on a traditional sports car, you'd normally counter steer and lift a bit to bring the rear back in line... on a GTR, you just keep the same steering angle, keep on throttle - the car sorts it out for you and rockets you out of the corner with much more grip than you thought possible.
Makes sense I can understand where you are coming from the sound perspective now, just usually when someone describes a car as mechanical or analog, first thing that comes to mind is they are referring to rowing the gears of a manual transmission and the lack of electronics overpowering the driving experience, it's hard to associate that with a paddle shift dual clutch with all the Japanese tech it was known for.

Also adding to the video game feeling, was the electrics and paddle shift, it was one of the first cars that people said basically drove itself, you point and shoot type of thing.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      01-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Wow, GTR is still king after 10 years....What an amazing piece of engineering.

I guess it's not a very good daily driver or long distance cruiser, but for the track it must be a monster.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
skl007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Wow, GTR is still king after 10 years....What an amazing piece of engineering.

I guess it's not a very good daily driver or long distance cruiser, but for the track it must be a monster.
I don't know about king, but I've owned mine longer than most, and I can't dream of selling it anytime soon. Definitely not the best DD, and the longest drive I've done in it is only Portland --> Vancouver BC, but it really gets the blood pumping when you're out for a weekend drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Makes sense I can understand where you are coming from the sound perspective now, just usually when someone describes a car as mechanical or analog, first thing that comes to mind is they are referring to rowing the gears of a manual transmission and the lack of electronics overpowering the driving experience, it's hard to associate that with a paddle shift dual clutch with all the Japanese tech it was known for.

Also adding to the video game feeling, was the electrics and paddle shift, it was one of the first cars that people said basically drove itself, you point and shoot type of thing.
Well, yeah.. its very technological but that technology is all mechanical and old fashioned - it doesn't feel electronic. Even the clicking of the paddle is mechanical like you're operating a lever. The transmission would clack into gear loudly and it'll jolt you every time. The transmission is not very refined, many times you're better off shifting your own gears because the auto mode is very stupid. So in many ways it's very manual, complex and mechanical. If you've ever driven a 1st generation Lamborghini single clutch transmission car, it feels a bit like that. It's not fun to drive in a every day situation. Any generation M3 would feel super refined and more comfortable by comparison.

But the artificial feeling handling gives people the impression it's very "video game".
      01-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I got back into a gtr a few months ago. ‘18, red amber interior
They are still freaking awesome. Such a complete different animal than the E92 M3. The M3 is 100% full of personality and see a lot of people say the gtr doesn’t have any. I don’t agree with that - it’s just no nonsense lightning breathing Tokyo smashing pure badassery.

I don’t daily mine but would not have any concerns doing so. 17&18s are softer than the previous years and pretty comfortable on the street. Took mine to cota on short notice a month ago. Had a ton of understeer running my street setup with 285/345 stagger. Definitely was more balanced with 285 square when I went back to my local track. My E92 M3 is being turned into a dedicated track car and the GT-R definitely won’t replace that - but it will definitely make the occasional trip back to cota.

Next trip to cota is in March - plan to bump the hp, swap to a bbk, upgrade a few suspension bits, and a few more tweaks before then. Can’t wait
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
skl007
Private First Class
Rep

285/345 is crazy. I'm really enjoying 285/295.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
285/345 is crazy. I'm really enjoying 285/295.
Yeah that setup being closer to square would definitely be a lot of fun. I do really like the 285/345 MP4S for my typical driving on the streets. So much understeer on the track though. Going to go back to the track with 305 square NT01s next time
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

For people who have owned an e9x M3 as well as a GTR, is the GTR any fun as a daily driver? Might consider as a replacement to e92 M3 for 4 season driving/daily driver with some open roads and 5 to 6 track days a year.
Much appreciate any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
For people who have owned an e9x M3 as well as a GTR, is the GTR any fun as a daily driver? Might consider as a replacement to e92 M3 for 4 season driving/daily driver with some open roads and 5 to 6 track days a year.
Much appreciate any feedback!
Short answer - yes

Long answer - I would prefer a '17+ as a DD for a more street friendly ride. AWD will serve you well for 4 season driving. If you go for earlier than a '17 you might want to make sure you are good with the seats - specifically in the black editions. Their seats were very narrow and could get really uncomfortable if you have even a little bit of width in your upper back. My lack of weight lifting over the last three years combined with the wider seats on my '18 have fixed that issue for me

On the track - they are pretty freaking fast but honestly I enjoy my E92 M3 more - but it is a dedicated track car. For 5 to 6 track days a year I would think it would fit the bill nicely though. But I would look into the possible evap canister issue with GTR's on the track though & make sure you are good with that.

If you are looking new I would also consider the M5 comp
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Short answer - yes

Long answer - I would prefer a '17+ as a DD for a more street friendly ride. AWD will serve you well for 4 season driving. If you go for earlier than a '17 you might want to make sure you are good with the seats - specifically in the black editions. Their seats were very narrow and could get really uncomfortable if you have even a little bit of width in your upper back. My lack of weight lifting over the last three years combined with the wider seats on my '18 have fixed that issue for me

On the track - they are pretty freaking fast but honestly I enjoy my E92 M3 more - but it is a dedicated track car. For 5 to 6 track days a year I would think it would fit the bill nicely though. But I would look into the possible evap canister issue with GTR's on the track though & make sure you are good with that.

If you are looking new I would also consider the M5 comp

Every car mag has complained the GT-Rs didn't have enough brake. Was that your experience?

FYI it has the same caliper as my car, but obviously weighs more.
      09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The GTR is the closest thing you can get to a roadgoing modern GT racecar with 4 seats imo

Big heavy big tires torque distribution and very advanced traction aids, big torque, paddle shift, decent aero but not an aero car, yada. It’s rad in its way. And they look awesome in the flesh pictures just don’t capture it properly. Still uggo in pictures, still awesome rolling down the road in person
      09-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Every car mag has complained the GT-Rs didn't have enough brake. Was that your experience?

FYI it has the same caliper as my car, but obviously weighs more.
The stock brakes definitely leave a lot to be desired. BBK would be the first thing I would do for track prep. Just so heavy, overwhelms the oem stuff pretty quickly on the track. A better DCT cooler is mandatory as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
The GTR is the closest thing you can get to a roadgoing modern GT racecar with 4 seats imo

Big heavy big tires torque distribution and very advanced traction aids, big torque, paddle shift, decent aero but not an aero car, yada. It’s rad in its way. And they look awesome in the flesh pictures just don’t capture it properly. Still uggo in pictures, still awesome rolling down the road in person
Rad in its way - very true. Just a really unique car and on the street is pure awesome. I'm obviously biased but I think they are one of the best looking cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #18
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Would love to add an R35 GT-R to my garage at some point.

Spent a few days photographing the new 50th anniversary edition, such a terrific machine.

The changes over the years are pretty noticeable. The latest ones are impressively comfortable in it's softest settings, but still incredibly fast and capable when you flick those switches to R. The NISMO sounds like a race car with all the noises, and is far firmer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #19
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
One reason why I don’t like GTR is that you don’t need a lot of driver skill to drive GTR fast. M3 on the other hand requires it. (Yet it is one of the easiest FR cars to drive at the limit)
      09-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Love the GTR but the problem is the price has gone up so much it puts it in the territory of things like 911 Turbo, GT3, R8 etc which seem to offer a little more in way of refinement with similar performance. That said, seems like the GTR May be worth it ....

Appreciate 0