BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #67
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry dude
But that's what I mean, I heard a few over here in the UK as well
      06-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #68
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Sorry dude
But that's what I mean, I heard a few over here in the UK as well
This is what kept me away from the MPE, plus the non-adjustable tips, and I've seen MPEs where the tip finish looks like it's peeling! While odds are probably 1 in 100s, decided against being part of those odds. Love the sound though, it is pretty boss.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #69
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Well. After 5 wxhaust setups I'm back to oem. Could not be happier.
You ditched the Evo? why?

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #70
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
You ditched the Evo? why?
Evo was bassy at start up and idle. Not for my aging ears
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #71
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Evo was bassy at start up and idle. Not for my aging ears
Damn, I hear so many mixed reviews about this system. Guess I'll need to do a local ride along to make my own assessment. The Megan I had was supposed to be "minimal drone", but absolutely drilled a hole in my brain and consequently came off within two weeks. At 10x the price point I'd better get this one right.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #72
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
Damn, I hear so many mixed reviews about this system. Guess I'll need to do a local ride along to make my own assessment. The Megan I had was supposed to be "minimal drone", but absolutely drilled a hole in my brain and consequently came off within two weeks. At 10x the price point I'd better get this one right.
Akra is the quietest exhaust outhere that produces power gains an weight savings. But there is a reason why BMW oem has 4 cats and 2 res.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #73
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Akra is the quietest exhaust outhere that produces power gains an weight savings. But there is a reason why BMW oem has 4 cats and 2 res.
4 cats is the standard configuration for pretty much every modern car in order to meet emissions requirements.
      06-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #74
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

New video onboard. Take a listen Hope you like

Zoom H1 mounted between the exhaust.
You really need some good 2.1 speakers (to replicate the bass/drone) / good good headphones to get the most out of the recorded sound.

Had some doubts about the SS Race compared to OEM mod / xpipe mod.
But after this, hearing it from the outside. I think I'm finally settled on this, for now!

03-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #75
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddcc1 View Post
I did the Active Autowerke's exhaust. Very, very little drone for a microsecond at about 2.2/2.5k RPM's. Not obnoxious or "ricey" sounding...but def. aggressive when you get on it.
I went with AA exhaust and I absolutely love it, I don't hear any drone, just sweet sweet sounds at all times!!
      03-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #76
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

its a pain in the ass to do on jack stands. done it twice on the e90 and the e46. cramped and you end up wanting to punch someone.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #77
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflywheel View Post
I'm considering the following but have been giving most consideration to the MPE.

Any interesting long-term insights from those on a similar path?

I had a similar thread this past weekend. Debating between MPE and ACM, and maybe Akrapovic slip-on:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958921

I later did some reading on the Akra slip, and people said it's quite bassy at low RPM but you basically can't hear it over the engine at high RPM. This was the most common description in several threads. Bassy at low RPM seems like the sugar-coated way of saying "drones around town", so I ruled it out.

I've decided on the MPE for the exotic sound and good build quality. After hearing it in person, I really liked it. Sure, ACM is cheaper, but it is too unrefined and obnoxious for my taste. If I wanted a car that spits and burbles, I would've bought a C63.
      03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #78
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I had a similar thread this past weekend. Debating between MPE and ACM, and maybe Akrapovic slip-on:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958921

I later did some reading on the Akra slip, and people said it's quite bassy at low RPM but you basically can't hear it over the engine at high RPM. This was the most common description in several threads. Bassy at low RPM seems like the sugar-coated way of saying "drones around town", so I ruled it out.

I've decided on the MPE for the exotic sound and good build quality. After hearing it in person, I really liked it. Sure, ACM is cheaper, but it is too unrefined and obnoxious for my taste. If I wanted a car that spits and burbles, I would've bought a C63.
Good move, you'll be happy with the beautifully matched sound. I found the Akra exhaust note to be totally uninspiring in the cabin...nice looking exhaust but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #79
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Consider ESS...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941402

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #80
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Not really lessons learned from swapping exhaust... But this is great info for AA owners complaining about drone.

Drive in D5 mode... The rpms stay within the exhaust's noise cancelling chamber range 90% of the time.

If you want an american V8 sound, AA is not for you. The AA is a smooth, refined German tone with a little exotic sound mixed into there. It's not quiet, but it's not "Hey, look at me, I'm the stereotypical M3 driver needing attention". It will turn car guys/girls' heads because they want to see where that refined sound is coming from. It's classy enough I can drive it to work or a professional event and not be embarrassed. Fits the M3 well, classy... yet the wide fenders and the power bulge covering the ITB tell you there is something more under there.

Of course, this is my opinion. Best bet is to listen to the exhaust live by meeting people local to you. I bet the next poster will be someone bashing the AA exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #81
chillp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 (Sedan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
I agree. With the full ESS exhaust, you'll get great sound (IMO), power increase due to HFCs in the primary location (no secondary cats), and no CEL (I've had my exhaust for about 7k miles with no light) and almost no drone (and I tend to be sensitive to it).

| **PREVIOUS** | 2012 E92 M3 | ZCP | DCT | Jerez Black | Black Novillo |
| **PREVIOUS** | 2014 F13 M6 | DCT | Black Sapphire | Black Extended Merino |
| **CURRENT** | 2011 E90 M3 | ZCP | 6MT | Space Gray | Black Novillo |
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #82
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Intake sound that is heard with the oem exhaust is more pleasing than most aftermarket exhaust that are loud, bassy at low rpm and raspy when near redline.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #83
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Not really lessons learned from swapping exhaust... But this is great info for AA owners complaining about drone.

Drive in D5 mode... The rpms stay within the exhaust's noise cancelling chamber range 90% of the time.

If you want an american V8 sound, AA is not for you. The AA is a smooth, refined German tone with a little exotic sound mixed into there. It's not quiet, but it's not "Hey, look at me, I'm the stereotypical M3 driver needing attention". It will turn car guys/girls' heads because they want to see where that refined sound is coming from. It's classy enough I can drive it to work or a professional event and not be embarrassed. Fits the M3 well, classy... yet the wide fenders and the power bulge covering the ITB tell you there is something more under there.

Of course, this is my opinion. Best bet is to listen to the exhaust live by meeting people local to you. I bet the next poster will be someone bashing the AA exhaust

Appreciate 0