BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

03-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #89
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Have to say that this install was a piece of cake. Love the way it looks and feels.

Many thanks to nolan12 for the awesome DIY!
Attached Images

2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #90
Richeezy
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

just swapped knobs. Thanks for the write up! like it a lot better
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #91
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeezy
just swapped knobs. Thanks for the write up! like it a lot better
Same here. Thanks to all that posted with their helpful guidance.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #92
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

I'm about to order the F10 M5 knob, and my question to those of you that have done this, is for an ultra clean OEM look, and easy as possible, would you still have done the trimming and glue onto the original plastic frame?

What's the easiest way to get this knob done?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #93
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcharlesy View Post
I'm about to order the F10 M5 knob, and my question to those of you that have done this, is for an ultra clean OEM look, and easy as possible, would you still have done the trimming and glue onto the original plastic frame?

What's the easiest way to get this knob done?
The only way to do it is to swap the ring or cut the boot off of the knob. The M5 ring won't fit the M3.

Some of us have trimmed and glued, others have not. Based on the pics we have all posted, they look the same on the outside. I don't regret trimming and gluing but if you're looking for an OEM look and want an easier install, just fold it over the ring and snap it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #94
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
but if you're looking for an OEM look and want an easier install, just fold it over the ring and snap it in.
+1

Thats what I did and it looks like it came from the factory that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #95
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

I've caved in and put the order in to give this a try! Should be interesting to see if the weighted aspects feels really that different
      03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #96
Sunggin
Sunggin
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW E90

I can't wait to get mine in!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #97
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I'm getting ready to do this mod and was wondering. Do you even need to glue the boot to the ring? If you cut the holes in the boot and wrap it around the ring and then snap the ring back in place won't that be enough to hold the boot in place?
      03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #98
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I'm getting ready to do this mod and was wondering. Do you even need to glue the boot to the ring? If you cut the holes in the boot and wrap it around the ring and then snap the ring back in place won't that be enough to hold the boot in place?
The answer is three responses above yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #99
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The answer is three responses above yours.
      03-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #100
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

just finished the mod, have to say the easiest method is just to wrap it as right as you can around the base and cut new wholes that keep it secure..

QUESTION - Is the base a bit of a pain to snap back in? mine seems to come up of I pull on the corner of the frame at all.. it will all unsnap and come up very easily.. I pushed it in as much as I could, and it doesn't go anywhere when I drive around, but was that the case for most??

It just comes up very easy if you manipulate it at all, but other then that it stays secure and in place while driving.. guess it's not a big deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #101
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

in reference to my previous post, the right side of the base seems easy to touch and come unsnapped, whereas the left is very secure, anyone experience this?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #102
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
in reference to my previous post, the right side of the base seems easy to touch and come unsnapped, whereas the left is very secure, anyone experience this?
I talked about this in my post earlier. The problem is that it is not clipping; the clip is pressing against the console giving the impression that it's clipped but then pops off easily.

The leather is thick and it makes it hard (or impossible for me) to get it clipped from the top. I popped off the whole center console trim so I could get to it from the bottom. I carefully made sure the clips were in place, then put snapped the console back on. Hasn't moved a bit since then.

Removing the console trim is easy; just pull up gently from the hold where the boot goes and work your way around.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #103
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
just finished the mod, have to say the easiest method is just to wrap it as right as you can around the base and cut new wholes that keep it secure..

QUESTION - Is the base a bit of a pain to snap back in? mine seems to come up of I pull on the corner of the frame at all.. it will all unsnap and come up very easily.. I pushed it in as much as I could, and it doesn't go anywhere when I drive around, but was that the case for most??

It just comes up very easy if you manipulate it at all, but other then that it stays secure and in place while driving.. guess it's not a big deal?
I gave it a good pounding with my fist all around the ring and its in snug. I cant say I felt a "click" but the base is secure.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #104
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I talked about this in my post earlier. The problem is that it is not clipping; the clip is pressing against the console giving the impression that it's clipped but then pops off easily.

The leather is thick and it makes it hard (or impossible for me) to get it clipped from the top. I popped off the whole center console trim so I could get to it from the bottom. I carefully made sure the clips were in place, then put snapped the console back on. Hasn't moved a bit since then.

Removing the console trim is easy; just pull up gently from the hold where the boot goes and work your way around.

Good luck.

FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM:

The issue is generally caused by you not making the holes around the clips big enough, so there isn't enough clearance for it to go down all the way, all you have to do is cut a small "square" not just a circle and it can be a little loose as long as it's secure and doesn't cover any of the clip.

I did this again, and it looks in perfectly, run your fingers around the edges to make sure it's not going to pop up easy. There is no need to pull the trim piece up.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #105
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M3 View Post
Have to say that this install was a piece of cake. Love the way it looks and feels.

the boot is sideways on your install
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #106
///m3e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90M3ZCP slicktop

Quote:
the boot is sideways on your install
He only swapped knobs. The boot is a M3 boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #107
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M3

Lerxst M3, how did you separate the F10 M5 leather boot from the base of the knob?

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #108
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM:

The issue is generally caused by you not making the holes around the clips big enough, so there isn't enough clearance for it to go down all the way, all you have to do is cut a small "square" not just a circle and it can be a little loose as long as it's secure and doesn't cover any of the clip.

I did this again, and it looks in perfectly, run your fingers around the edges to make sure it's not going to pop up easy. There is no need to pull the trim piece up.
Yup, make sure to cut away more of the leather around where the clips are so that the ring will snap into place.

At first i was hesitant to cut much of the leather but once i glued the leather to the ring and tried to snap it in the first time I realized that i have to cut a lot more leather because the ring would not snap into place.

You have to cut and fold the leather so there is a snug fit since the M5 boot is bigger and you'll just a lot of the leather bunched up if you don't
      03-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #109
///m3e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90M3ZCP slicktop

Received my M5 shift knob today and installed it in about half an hour; looks factory.

Thanks for the inspiring right up and contributors...best $120 sent on a mod so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #110
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

So 2 years have I had my 6mt m3.. 3 days ago did the f10 m5 shift knob install.. No glue nothing just cut some holes in the boot tucked it over and clipped it in. Just drove 1000km and I'm very pleased .. Weighted and shorter feels great!