BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The Restaurant Thread

Perhaps through dating in my 20s, I realized how much I enjoy exploring new restaurants; and frequenting favorite restaurants. What is your favorite restaurant(s)?

My favorite special occasion restaurant is Ruth's Chris. The butter & herb preparation on a 500 degree plate is hard to beat. Also- I consider myself a crab cake aficionado, and Ruth's Chis' crab cakes are my absolute favorite. There are other high-end steakhouses I like (BLT Steak/Prime https://bltrestaurants.com comes to mind), but those Ruth's Chris crab cakes seem to push Ruth's to the top. https://www.ruthschris.com

A local favorite is a place near the Meadowlands in North Jersey called Steve's Sizzling Steaks. The place is styled like an old hunting lodge and has been in the same location, with same family ownership since 1936. The steaks are Choice (not Prime), but absolutely delicious. One of the best aspects is that you can't be underdressed. I'll go there in shorts flip-flops; the other is Steve's is as authentic as it gets. I jokingly point out that the place is so old school, the bartender still wears a beeper! If you're ever in the area it's worth a visit. http://www.steves-sizzling-steaks.com

What are some of your favorites?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dog Face Pony Soldier; 07-11-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      07-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Bob Evans.

But in all seriousness, I'm not much of a "chain" type of guy. I always enjoy discovering new places in Seattle.

Anybody been to Tony's pizza in North Beach SF next to Coit Tower? Pure bliss. 2+ hr waits on weeknights.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

From top of my head as far as chains, I like Yard House. I am not a big fan of restaurants in Mass. I've been to many and most are a huge disappointment compared to anything in EU. There is gasto pub next to my house and it's one of the best bars I've been to when it comes to food and drinks. There are some good sushi places, but I usually do take out because interiors are depressing
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

If you're ever in Los Angeles,

Try Sanamluang Thai Cuisine or Thirsty Cow Korean BBQ.

But there are hundreds of amazing restaurants here

So delicious!
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Burger joints are in play too!

My favorite is a burger place is a dumpy-looking spot in North Jersey simply called Steve's Burgers. Definitely better than Shake Shack, Five Guys, etc.. I passed the place a million times before trying it, but they make a spectacular burger. Near 5-stars on Yelp shows I'm not alone.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/NVQzYzJzjO
Attached Images

07-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Not a fan of chain restaurants, but if i have to pick between them, Longhorn and/chili's on occasion. I prefer mom and pops and off the beaten path hole in the wall type places.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalaihollo View Post
If you're ever in Los Angeles,

Try Sanamluang Thai Cuisine or Thirsty Cow Korean BBQ.

But there are hundreds of amazing restaurants here

So delicious!
I live near the municipality with the highest density of ethnic Koreans in the Western Hemisphere (Palisades Park, NJ), so they're no shortage of Korean BBQ restaurants here. My challenge is I don't know the food AT ALL. I have zero idea what to order. :
      07-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I still miss Bo Long in Cleveland OH for the best Dim Sum this side of Hong Kong. When we lived there we'd go at least once a week, spoiled me for most other dim sum.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
VPB74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
Charles Mulligan’s Steakhouse, Indianapolis
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

We were back in the Boston and Hartford area last week. We had seafood at Legal (big Boston chain) that was ok, and a Mom-and-Pop place in Newington, CT called Janni's. Inexpensive, no frills family place. One the best seafood meals (stuffed scallops) I've ever had. And that's saying a lot. Goes to show that the little places can out perform the better known chains.

We also ate at a place called Ruka on Washington St in the Downtown Crossing area in Boston. Part of the Godfrey Hotel. It had some really interesting dishes.

Being back east reminded me what great food we're missing by living out here in the cornfields. And it isn't just the huge variety and quality of restaurants. The food stores are also way above and beyond anything out here. That said, I wouldn't trade the lack of traffic and low cost of living here for all the good food. It's all about lifestyle choices.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
We were back in the Boston and Hartford area last week. We had seafood at Legal (big Boston chain) that was ok, and a Mom-and-Pop place in Newington, CT called Janni's. Inexpensive, no frills family place. One the best seafood meals (stuffed scallops) I've ever had. And that's saying a lot. Goes to show that the little places can out perform the better known chains.

We also ate at a place called Ruka on Washington St in the Downtown Crossing area in Boston. Part of the Godfrey Hotel. It had some really interesting dishes.

Being back east reminded me what great food we're missing by living out here in the cornfields. And it isn't just the huge variety and quality of restaurants. The food stores are also way above and beyond anything out here. That said, I wouldn't trade the lack of traffic and low cost of living here for all the good food. It's all about lifestyle choices.
Food stores? You mean supermarkets? We just recently got Wegmans and it's pretty decent, Whole Foods is just ok, rest are horrible.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Olive Garden and Chili’s.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I live near the municipality with the highest density of ethnic Koreans in the Western Hemisphere (Palisades Park, NJ), so they're no shortage of Korean BBQ restaurants here. My challenge is I don't know the food AT ALL. I have zero idea what to order. :
Order the live octopus. It will help your dick grow 10x.

Or order the short ribs, or Korean bacon.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

My wife and I enjoy Barclay Prime and Ruth's Chris in Philadelphia for a nice outing. When we bring the whole family we really enjoy Texas Road house.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Food stores? You mean supermarkets? We just recently got Wegmans and it's pretty decent, Whole Foods is just ok, rest are horrible.
Try supermarkets out here. It is actually common to find fuzzy strawberries and/or tomatoes in the produce sections. Fuzzy as in, growing mold. More than once I've had to toss things like salami slices or cheese because they were bad already even though I just bought them. Bagged salad is more often than not turning brown already when it hits the shelves. And forget variety or non-comfort food. Things like hot tables or take out food in the supermarkets? If you like fried or rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn, you're all set. Otherwise, you're SOL.

The nearest Whole Foods to us is in Indianapolis, 2 hours away. Same for Trader Joe's. Fresh "seafood" here means walleye or catfish.

On the other hand, the house and cars are paid off and our monthly expenses are just the utility bills, so our cost of living is minimal. That leaves us plenty of money to travel when we feel like it and buy whatever we want, plus save a bundle for retirement. So to us, that trade-off is worth it. For someone else, maybe not so much. Everyone has their priorities.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

^ lol that's pretty bad yeah I forgot Trader Joe's, I love that store. We have Wegmans, Whole Foods, TJs, Stop and Shop, Rochers Brother, Shaw's, Market Basket, BJs, and bunch of specialty stores all within 10 minutes from home.

But none of those compare to some supermarkets I've seen in Europe, and quality of food is night and day difference, and prices are less too. We get screwed in USA, food is very unnatural

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 07-05-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Really liked Franklin's in Austin and always enjoy the metropolitan grill here in Seattle. Had some bomb enchiladas at small place by tulum, and pineapple grill in Maui is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #18
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
When it comes to steaks, my favorite chains are Del Frisco’s and Capital Grille. Never had a bad hunk of cow at either place.

Locally, I’ll go to Ristorante Divino for Italian, Camon for sushi, Blue Marlin for seafood, The Kraken for burgers, Zesto for fried chicken, Southern Belly for BBQ sandwiches, Dano’s for pizza, and Motor Supply Company or Solstice for Continental.

Having lived in Atlanta during my high school years and summers in college, I’ve got plenty of favorites there as well, but whenever I’m back in the ATL, I make it a priority to stop at The Vortex for a burger and beer.

If I’m visiting a new city, I typically like to try to find out where the locals eat, and tend to shy away from chain restaurants.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #19
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Ruth's Chris, Sullivan's, Flemings, Brennan's (New Orleans), Morton's, Del Frisco, Cap Grille for steak.
J Alexanders or Houston's for Mid-Level.
Local steakhouse: Stabs

Traveling, I eat as local as possible. When I want a steak, however, I go with the known elements unless someone knows a slam-dunk local steakhouse.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post

But none of those compare to some supermarkets I've seen in Europe, and quality of food is night and day difference, and prices are less too. We get screwed in USA, food is very unnatural
On this we agree. Germany had awesome delis and markets.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Chile Peppers in Camarillo. Best mocajete I've ever had. 2nd best Cadillac. Inexpensive, and rarely have to stand there more than 5 minutes.

Monty's in Woodland hills had some bomb cosmos, and the steak was damn good, once we finally found the damn place

For the creole persuasion, the Palace in Santa Barbara. Whitefish is to die for. Martinins may kill you, as they come in quart jars
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #22
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse NY
Appreciate 1