BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

09-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
0_to_60
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

LAPD Alert in San Fernando Valley

Got pulled over the other night, was asked to pop my hood per vehicle code. They informed me if I have a cold air intake, short ram intake or a supercharger it's a mandatory tow and a ticket.
I didn't want to be an ahole, but I asked them what was the probable cause of my detainment, they started giving me bullshit excuses: how my stock exhaust is loud, my front license plate is on the right side of the bumper and not in the middle and etc. To end all things peacefully, I agreed to open my hood for them, note my engine bay is stock. So the dickwhat officer gave me a correctable front license plate infraction at the end. Went to CHP and they signed it off and said it is ok as long as it is attached onto your front bumper
So this was indeed a case of snooping, in which at the end I informed the officer about.
Note: in CA it is not a search so no search warrant is required to an inspection by a LEO.

I am not here to rant on the LAPD nor any LE Agencys'. I just want to share with you guys, just to beware as they are apparently starting to crack down on cars who in their eye seem to be modded with a bullshit PC detainment.
Appreciate 4
      09-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

There has been a crackdown on "illegal modifications" in the valley in recent years due to street racing (and subsequent crashes). You can find some news videos online with some funny police interviews.

I got pulled over in the parking lot of a property I used to own and got a tint and no plate ticket. I was parked, on private property, and it didn't stop them. His excuse was, "if I cant see inside your car, I have no way of knowing you don't have a gun."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Sorry to hear about your experience OP but thank you as well for the heads up. Definitely need to plan better or take my DD whenever I head towards the SFV area.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

No front plate and/or dark tinted windows are just invitations to get pulled for more serious items.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

That front plate infraction is a load of horse shit. There is no requirement to have your license plate centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code Section 5201
(a) License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:
[snip...]
Source: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...1.&lawCode=VEH
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
Richsocal12
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Alpine Weiss - Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_to_60 View Post
Got pulled over the other night, was asked to pop my hood per vehicle code. They informed me if I have a cold air intake, short ram intake or a supercharger it's a mandatory tow and a ticket.
I didn't want to be an ahole, but I asked them what was the probable cause of my detainment, they started giving me bullshit excuses: how my stock exhaust is loud, my front license plate is on the right side of the bumper and not in the middle and etc. To end all things peacefully, I agreed to open my hood for them, note my engine bay is stock. So the dickwhat officer gave me a correctable front license plate infraction at the end. Went to CHP and they signed it off and said it is ok as long as it is attached onto your front bumper
So this was indeed a case of snooping, in which at the end I informed the officer about.
Note: in CA it is not a search so no search warrant is required to an inspection by a LEO.

I am not here to rant on the LAPD nor any LE Agencys'. I just want to share with you guys, just to beware as they are apparently starting to crack down on cars who in their eye seem to be modded with a bullshit PC detainment.

damnn sorry dood. I live in San Fernando Valley as well and the past couple days I have been seeing cops left and right. I reside in the city of Reseda, borderline Tarzana. The past couple of mornings, i have seen cops posted along Tampa, between Sherman Way and Saticoy stopping multiple cars at a time. Good luck out there. Seems like they are really out on the prowl this month.
      09-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
jerryscherry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White E92 M3

probably because of all them street takeovers and street racing incidents.. didn't think they be targeting bimmers too
Appreciate 2
Timujin351.50
em546418.00
      09-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You let them search you or your vehicle. In the end he gave you a license plate ticket. Be respectful and tell them no. Let them take the next step. A tow based off a license plate infraction is ridiculous. Don't be a dick but don't be a pussy! I had a completely unmarked car cut me off! When I pointed to my mirror like (look before you move), he lit up his sparklies. Walking up he asked do you know why I pulled you over. I said "no sir". He said " you were tailgating me". I replied, "respectfully I disagree and I fact I believe you created the situation by making an unsafe lane change without signaling and my go pro holds my side of the story". He said "let me see". I said "no, you can see in the presence of a judge and myself in traffic court". He said " have a nice day". The police can lie in the pursuit of the truth. Don't be a tool.
      09-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

That happened to me back in my previous car. I knew the officer was wrong and i asked for the sergeant to come and correct the situation. The officer goes back to the squad car for 5mins and comes back and tells me to drive safe and let's me go.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #10
GSTE34
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 turbo E90m3

I tell them my boss is a senior officer and they back off 😂😂
Appreciate 0