BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
brentseay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Garage List
1996 318i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Seglar should just go full monty and present to the world BMW's first ///M minivan with 650hp. Cause that's what the sales figures say the buyers want, amirite? Maybe just a minivan with an ///M sticker on it. People sure seem to buy the shat out of that stuff.

Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #24
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Read my signature. Goofy clown Segler's quotes make for great jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentseay View Post
Seglar should just go full monty and present to the world BMW's first ///M minivan with 650hp. Cause that's what the sales figures say the buyers want, amirite? Maybe just a minivan with an ///M sticker on it. People sure seem to buy the shat out of that stuff.

Brent

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Herr Segler put on a clinic for those wanting to see how to provide a bevy of non-answer answers in an interview.

IMO, there are three nuggets of info...
One: Segler practically acknowledged that the next M3 will be heavier than the E9x M3...
Two: Ceramic brakes for the M3 may be in the cards for the sixth generation M3 circa 2021...
Three: Promoting M products as environmentally responsible is a major talking point, but we're reassured that nothing will get in the way of the main goal which is performance (nevermind providing "the ultimate driving experience"). For many's sake, I hope he meant what M enthusiasts want him to mean.
      02-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #26
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Hey it's not his fault that customers (you guys) continue to gobble up the fattest most automatic laden cars. The Mx6/Mx5 have exceeded sales expectations and the sales of m3's and m5's continue to go up as weight continues to increase, automatic gearboxes are available, and driver involvement is eroded away... all the while cars like the z3M coupe, z4M coupe are sales failures and the 1M is lambasted on every forum for being not a "real" M car.

Why would BMW focus on focus on building lighter cars? Because some geeks on the internet asked them to? The sales data shows it doesn't matter what they do as long as the car has the M badge, rips off a couple 4.3sec 0-60 runs, and wins a few magazine comparos... you guys will buy it in droves.

He didn't kill M, you all did. If BMW put a 2700lb 4 cylinder 200hp car out nowadays... you would all laugh at it, and say it isn't a "real" M car.
+1 great points!
      02-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #27
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Is there a reason why vettes and 911s are becoming bloated pigs. Safety standards aside, if BMW really wanted to build lighter/smaller cars, they could.

I think cars like the X5M are nice vehicles and compete well in it's segment. That's no reason to make car like the M3 more and more GT like rather than more focused though. Porsche used the cayenne to make money, but still stayed true with the 911 and such. Not sure why the "sporty" M cars can't be the same.

And I don't really see the point of ceramics on a M5. If the car gains even more weight, then it will be even less fun on the track regardless of the power. A 10-15K dollar option for brakes.....I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #28
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

M5 coming with ceramic brakes option!?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #29
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

we think kay is killing the M division, but we enthusiasts, blogger are like 10% of M buyers, you ppl keep forgetting the other 90% don't give a crap about the M history or the originality of the E30 M3 or know anything under the hood, turboed or not, 6 or 8, high revving or not... by the sales figures bmw can dump us anytime she wants
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #30
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
we think kay is killing the M division, but we enthusiasts, blogger are like 10% of M buyers, you ppl keep forgetting the other 90% don't give a crap about the M history or the originality of the E30 M3 or know anything under the hood, turboed or not, 6 or 8, high revving or not... by the sales figures bmw can dump us anytime she wants
If you and BMW are proven to have underestimated the role of the "us" that you say she [BMW] can dump any time, your head will be safe though I'm not so sure about the heads of others elsewhere.

The only reason there is 90% group today is thanks to a relatively small number of M buyers in the 80's that made it possible for M Division to have a future with M cars by snapping up M Division's early models. Your average non enthusiast was not the typical M customer in those days.

It was that relatively small number of twenty odd years ago that made the M brand desirable to a lot of people that were M-clueless. In fact, most around here would likely agree that most people they know that are not party to forums like this one tend to be relatively poorly to horribly informed about automobiles generally in the first place, but that doesn't prevent any of them from acquiring an M model.

Within M ownership, in spite of some thread-starting questions, I suspect that the "average M driver", if there is such a creature, possesses significantly more information about his/her M, other makes and models than most car owners. There is a reason for applying the label "automobile enthusiast" to certain individuals. In fact, there is a very strong likelihood that M enthusiasts are far more informed about a broad range of automobiles than the "average owner" who often looks to others for ideas about what to buy to drive. And that's where the relative minority, the enthusiasts, are useful to a manufacturer like BMW.

In a sense it is the enthusiasts that are driving the proverbial bandwagon that allows others to conveniently jump onboard for a good time in the expectation that so many enthusiasts can't possibly have got it completely wrong. Who really thinks that most of the "Let's get on the bandwagon!" type people that are looking for a good time, looking at the choices of others in order to then make their own decision, are going to hang around a bandwagon whose driver(s) have bailed on the wagon?

Yes, times have changed, much has changed, but what has really changed in the last twenty five years is the ability of people to communicate with others via the Internet. What in the early days of M Division was a world in which it was difficult to know what M enthusiasts in other parts of the world were thinking is no more. Consequently, even a minority of M customers can be in touch with each other if they choose to do so, and that ability is one that can lead to positive or negative developments for a manufacturer; even one of relatively niche products such as sports cars. Who really thinks that a bandwagon will roll on minus the driver(s)? Apparently (referencing Segler's latest interview), M Division is aware that it needs its base -- the M enthusiasts. However, whether or not M will be able to have its cake and eat it too is something that I'm not so sure it will be able to pull off.

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 02-03-2011 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #31
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Hey it's not his fault that customers (you guys) continue to gobble up the fattest most automatic laden cars. The Mx6/Mx5 have exceeded sales expectations and the sales of m3's and m5's continue to go up as weight continues to increase, automatic gearboxes are available, and driver involvement is eroded away... all the while cars like the z3M coupe, z4M coupe are sales failures and the 1M is lambasted on every forum for being not a "real" M car.
I'm not sure to who the "you guys" is here, but I don't think it is most on this forum. I don't own, or plan to own, any of the suffix Ms and do own a Z4M. The Z4M would not have been a sales failure if BMW didn't get greedy and ramp up production to meet demand that wasn't there, this is a niche car and when they accurately judged the demand in '06 and those cars sold, they should have left production as is- most of the buyers that wanted this car picked it up the first year. After having a firesale on the leftover '07s, production was dialed back down for the '08s but there were still surplus '07s.

Quote:
He didn't kill M, you all did. If BMW put a 2700lb 4 cylinder 200hp car out nowadays... you would all laugh at it, and say it isn't a "real" M car.
This is a car I would consider buying. A significantly lighter car than what is currently available in the BMW lineup with a properly engineered motor......unlike the problematic N54 that was boosted slightly to put in the 1M. The issue with the 1M is that it is not that much lighter and has the N54. No doubt the chassis will be great since it uses M3 components, time will tell if the N54 bugs have been worked out- speaking from N54 experience it is not a motor I would want to run on the track.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #32
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Interesting thread. I think many of you guys have made valid points. However, there seems to be a general consensus that newer generations of M cars are not as good as earlier versions.Not every single M enthusiast is looking for a super focussed track tool. People have come to expect Nav and aircon and bluetooth for an everyday driver. All these things add weight and all manufacturers of sports cars including Porsche and Ferrari have continued to produce heavier cars. The skill is in achieving all this with minimal weight increase so as not do diminish the handling capability of the car.

Ultimately people buy M cars because they are in fact great. There are many options available from other manufacturers and people wont choose one over the other purely because of the views of others.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #33
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

I was thinking the same things about high revving. He is a clown, you're right. His answers weren't well said. They were shallow, vague, and without the insight of a guy running our beloved M division. Everytime I hear from this guy, it makes me ill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
He calls 7000 rpm redline high-revving. Even SUVs these days are high-revving, according to Segler. LOL

This goofy clown keeps getting better everyday. He keeps giving me more quotes to put in my signature. ROFL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

It sounds like you all want go karts not luxury. As far as I'm concerned an "M" is just a kick ass version of the original car. If we start stripping away AC, sunroofs, power windows, etc to make it lighter what's the point. I want kick ass performance and luxury at the same time.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

That all doesn't sound too good. I have zero interest in anything heavier than my E92 M3, for starters and even less interest in Turbos.
      02-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

One thing is interesting: M is going to get high reving turbo engines. Can't wait for the next M3 F3X with its TT I6 and redline at 8.500 rpm as in the McLaren MP4-12C. Another thing is sad: Ceramic brakes; this shows they are needed because the cars are getting so heavy.
Can't wait for the new M3 GTS-R (E92). Hope it will run the N-Ring under 7:30 min this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #37
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

The funny thing it most people on this thread sound like the E30 M3 guys when the E36 M3 came out. And the then like the E36 M3 guys when the E46 M3 came out. etc.... The M3 has always gotten bigger, faster and heavier with each iteration and yet each version has sold better than the last. People will buy the next M3 when it comes out, and it will be faster than the E9x M3. If you can't stand the weight increase, go get an E30 M3. While I enjoy ours on occasion, for daily use, I still enjoy the extra weight, safety, power and technology of my M5. Speak to BMW with your $$$ if you don't like the direction they are going. It's just that simple.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #38
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post

"X5 M and X6 M owners demand a lot from their M cars".

- BMW Marketing clown Kay Segler
That is epic and hilarious.
      02-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #39
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
i want a crazy special edition m3 in the us that offers way more then the zcp package!

Gpower sounds like the M3 for you. Lighter than GTS and with 600bhp.
BMWCarmagazine tested it in last month's issue.:
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #40
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Speak to BMW with your $$$ if you don't like the direction they are going. It's just that simple.
That is what I am going to do when I'll have €€€. And that is what I am going to ask:

BMW M Carbon (2 seater extreme lightweight coupé)
NA 3.3l I6
450 PS
400 Nm
12.300 rpm redline
980 kg (DIN)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #41
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That is what I am going to do when I'll have €€€. And that is what I am going to ask:

BMW M Carbon (2 seater extreme lightweight coupé)
NA 3.3l I6
450 PS
400 Nm
12.300 rpm redline
980 kg (DIN)
Dude where are you coming up with numbers 12300rpm? Why not 12000 or 12500?
      02-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #42
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Speak to BMW with your $$$ if you don't like the direction they are going. It's just that simple.
i 100% agree with this statement. to really get seagler to listen, dont buy. m div was boasting about a 6% inc in sales in m cars this year and made a huge bfd out of it. if we all just stopped buying m cars, that right there is already a 10% decrease. a decrease that the bean counters will def notice.

and a lot of people keep mentioning that other manufacturers are also getting heavier. well, according to rumors, the 911 and cayman will be shedding 50kg all while getting larger and faster. so if bmw wants to do this, im sure they can esp since they will be charging even more for the new m3.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #43
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

Rest assured, I will be voting with my money and my vote won't be cast to BMW as long at they go the route of turbos. Weight is an issue but the bigger issue for me is the powerplant. I've had a N54 so this isn't being change averse, been there done that and it stunk.

Quote:
The funny thing it most people on this thread sound like the E30 M3 guys when the E36 M3 came out. And the then like the E36 M3 guys when the E46 M3 came out. etc.... The M3 has always gotten bigger, faster and heavier with each iteration and yet each version has sold better than the last. People will buy the next M3 when it comes out, and it will be faster than the E9x M3. If you can't stand the weight increase, go get an E30 M3. While I enjoy ours on occasion, for daily use, I still enjoy the extra weight, safety, power and technology of my M5. Speak to BMW with your $$$ if you don't like the direction they are going. It's just that simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #44
Lastcombo
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 730D

Quote:

Why would BMW focus on focus on building lighter cars? Because some geeks on the internet asked them to? The sales data shows it doesn't matter what they do as long as the car has the M badge, rips off a couple 4.3sec 0-60 runs, and wins a few magazine comparos... you guys will buy it in droves.

Good comment
Appreciate 0