BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
BoozingCactus
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 m3, '14 i3, '16 x3

2013 e93 roof/trunk stuck

Long time lurker's first post here, and I wish it was under better circumstances. It's likely that this will end up being a dealer issue ($$$), I think I'm pretty skunked, but figured I'd reach out here as I've seen some truly bizarre issues remedied in the past.

The issue is in regards to my '13 e93 m3. I had a new set of rears (Michelin Pilot Supersports) put on after finding a bubble in the sidewall (...many thanks to the pothole-riddled roads of northern California), and was excited to get out for a drive yesterday morning.

I took a quick stop to grab some coffee (roof was down on the drive there, back up while it sat there--no issues). I pressed the roof re-tractor button, but let my finger up for a split second while stifling a sneeze. Everything seemed fine, as I heard, or thought I heard, the latch catch. Unfortunately, I received an error and the right light under the button began to flash red. No big deal, I thought, this has happened before, and it's usually an obstruction from the manual or a towel sliding around. That's when things got weird. I tried opening the back to clear whatever item had slid into the path (or perceived path) of the roof, but couldn't get my trunk to open, the trunk button also didn't work. Even stranger, my windows now won't roll back up (though do note the side mirrors work a charm). Thankful that the uncharacteristically poor spring weather didn't result in a downpour, I drove back home with the soothing error chime reminding me how screwed I likely am as I drove the 15 minutes back home.

So far, I've tried the following:
There is no valet button on my model (or at least, it's not where it is on the coupe version)
I do have the cold weather package, I removed the middle seat rest and ski condom (which I didn't realize was there), punched the plastic lid backward, and now have access to the trunk. My wife (who is thankfully much narrower than I am), was able to crawl back there, but couldn't locate the emergency "Soprano's" pulley to pop the trunk.
There is no visible key hole anywhere on the trunk.

I'm totally stumped, and extremely frustrated. The weather has finally turned here, and I was very much looking forward to a few drives up and down the 1 before I sold/traded her in for the M2C that's halfway across the Atlantic.

Other minor notes. This car is garaged, and has been for several weeks while I found a time to take it in for the new tires (not daily driven). At 6 years old it has 30k miles, and a meticulous service history. I've had no other major problems. Second owner.

EDIT: So under the light of day I was able to squeeze into the trunk, and discovered that there is an emergency pulley. That did the trick to get the trunk lid open, but led me to discover that there is nothing impeding the mechanism...looks like it's one of BMW's 'special' mechanical abnormalities.

Thanks all.

Last edited by BoozingCactus; 04-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: New development
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

E93 has a soft close latch, if it’s failing the top won’t operate.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0