BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Opinions/advise on purchasing new M3 Coupe

Hello all,

This is my first post on this site. I am a true car guy. Not a choir/fan boy to any one brand. I've owned numerous 3 series BMWs (never an M), Porsches, Vipers, and V-8 Mustangs, back in my younger/formative years. I tend to buy new every two to three years. Before I order me a new M3 Cpe, I wanted to get some sage advise/opinions on the following questions/concerns I have concerning the purchase of a new M3 Cpe...

I'm contemplating trading my '09 Z06 for an '11 or '12 M3. I own another sports car, so I'd like to own a coupe, because I'm tired of constantly scraping the low spoilers, and I'd like to have seating for four, if needed. In other words, I'd like to own a fast car, that is not just another low riding true two seater sports car.

1. I'm aware that the M3 does not produce the low end torque of the C63 AMG, the Z06, or any other big cubic inch engine. Has anyone else on this site owned a Z06, Corvette, or similar large displacement automobile? Does the M3 provide enough low end torque to move the car out smartly? I like the C63's powerplant, I just can't get over its ugly looks (in my eyes), so its out of consideration.

2. I'm thinking that if I choose an M3, should I get the manual, b/c you can adjust/adapt low end torque better w/a 6 speed. In other words, I would drive the car in lower gears to keep the car in its powerband...

3. The new 3 series is due in 2012. Will the current 8 banger remain in BMW's
M3 line-up in 2012? I think I want an 8 cylinder over a turbo six...

4. Considering the weight of the M3, and the relatively small displacement, eight cylinder engine, are you all happy with the performance of your M3?

5. Does the M3 feel "heavy?"

Appreciate any feedback in advance.

BB
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
mmmpowered
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe

Welcome to the site.

I really think you need to go test drive one because all of your questions with the exception of #3 could be answered by doing so.

You have 1-2 years left to get a NA 8 cylinder M3. From then on everything M will come with a turbo and 6 cylinders (or less?!)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post

1. I'm aware that the M3 does not produce the low end torque of the C63 AMG, the Z06, or any other big cubic inch engine. Has anyone else on this site owned a Z06, Corvette, or similar large displacement automobile? Does the M3 provide enough low end torque to move the car out smartly? I like the C63's powerplant, I just can't get over its ugly looks (in my eyes), so its out of consideration.

2. I'm thinking that if I choose an M3, should I get the manual, b/c you can adjust/adapt low end torque better w/a 6 speed. In other words, I would drive the car in lower gears to keep the car in its powerband...

3. The new 3 series is due in 2012. Will the current 8 banger remain in BMW's
M3 line-up in 2012? I think I want an 8 cylinder over a turbo six...

4. Considering the weight of the M3, and the relatively small displacement, eight cylinder engine, are you all happy with the performance of your M3?

5. Does the M3 feel "heavy?"

Appreciate any feedback in advance.

BB
1. You'll have to decide for yourself. I've driven a Corvette which felt like driving an Escalade or something, but more nimble obviously (a bit of an exaggeration). It didn't feel terribly sporty to me, so if you like to just drive in straight lines, it might be nice. Never driven a Mercedes, I've just always liked BMW better so never even thought about it. The M feels like such a better "sports" vehicle. I don't know, just try it out.

2. The automatic is the DCT which is faster shifting and user controllable so you can drive it to whatever RPM you want. Or you can put it in automatic and it'll do it all on its own. You don't need the manual transmission if this is the only reason you'd get it. Also the car revs very high

3. I'd agree with the last post, it seems that the V8's will be over as quickly as they showed up so if you want, you should get one.

4. I'm very satisfied with the performance. I would prefer the exhaust be louder and "free-er", but the car is very quick and fun.

5. Not in my opinion; its engine and suspension more than compensates for its size in my opinion. Now I haven't taken this car to a track, but for my excessively spirited street driving of it, I haven't driven a car that I enjoyed more. I had a Subaru WRX Sti back in 2002 when it came out and have always looked back at that car as one of the most exciting, just due to how light and freaking quick it was. But quality of the package aside, I enjoy driving the M3 more.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

You MUST go out and drive both versions of the M3...and find a dealer who'll let you take extended drives, by yourself preferably. I chose 6mt but it was a personal preference not based on anyone elses opinion on the popularity of one over the other. Both are great choices IMO.

As for power, I owned an '05 Roush Mustang and thought it was a supercar with super torque, etc, etc. So in answer to questions (4) and (5), the performance of the M3 is simply outstanding by comparison (despite what Motor Trend says about the '11 5.0.....a very fine Mustang but it's NOT the equivalent of an M3) . And the M3 is light...or feels that way anyways 'cause it's actually a little porky weight wise. I wondered how it would fare against my previous BMW, a 135 which was fun and weighed quite a few pounds less, but BMW has managed to mask the M3's weight with a brilliant chassis, a brilliant motor, etc, etc. Again, a really good test drive in either version of the car should give you a solid grasp on the info you're looking for. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

To answer the heavy question, yes. On the track. Against Porsche's or Miatas. Otherwise, it feels great on the street. It's extremely nimble and the power makes scything through traffic a breeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0